• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dried herbs.

rolo

Alpha Buck
Hi all,

I wondered if buns can eat dried herbs, so thought I would ask on here.

Just put fresh hay in Rolo-buns his litter tray and as the fly season will be upon us soon, it bothers me that flies could be attracted to his litter tray, then end up on him. He is getting on abit and sometimes gets a bit of poop caught in his long fur over his tum, so the thought of fly-stike it a worry.

I know flies dont like mint or rosemary, which Rolo does like to eat (fresh) But could I use the dried as a smell deterant in his tray?

Thanks everyone.

x

Yes they can eat dried herbs, but I wouldn't feed the chopped versions you can buy from the supermarket. I'd imagine they would be a bit dusty!

I think the most important things to ensure is that the tray is cleaned out frequently and that whatever you use in it is absorbent enough to lock smells in. You could also trim his fur where he gets poo stuck which might help him stay clean. You can also use fly netting over the hutch wire to keep the little blighters out.

I have heard of people using citronella and other (natural) scents to keep flies away but this has to be out of reach of bun as not edible, I've never done this however so don't know much about it!

Not sure about the herb question, but I bought a load of close mesh net curtaining from a charity shop last year. I cut it into lengths, and hung some over the hutch, and the rest over the outdoor run-cheap and worked a treat !

Hi, thanks for the replies.

Forgot to say, Rolo is a free range house bun so dont have to worry about a hutch.

Now I know he can have dried herbs, think I am going to have a go at doing some myself.

His litter is changed every 2 days and I use woodbased non clumping. Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks x

I feed Poppy dried herbs every day, she can't have fresh anything as she ends up with a very runny bum even if i introduce it slowly.
So i get the dried salad packs they do for bunnys with lots of dried plants and herbs and flowers in and she loves them :)
Things like: Natures Natural Goodness Herbal/Dandelion Salad, Rosewood Healthy Harvest Dandelion Salad, Burgess Excel Salad Snacks Banana and Papaya and pressed ones like Woodlands Apple and Pansy Hearts.
The smell of these night be enough to ward off the flies. Or try smearing essential oils around window frames etc. to deter them from coming in at all, but be careful near Rolo with them as he may want to lick them and they may upset his tummy.

I also use wood pellets (usually labelled as cat litter) for her litter box and change it every other day (scooping out the soiled bits every morning) and these seem to keep it from smelling (she is an indoor bunny) despite the fact they don't smell of anything themselves :)

You can also by flystrike prevention medicine which you can still do on a house bunny as added protection if you are worried. I got some for Poppy just to make sure she is covered this summer when the windows are open in the house.

Back