• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Let us in!

louise200

Alpha Buck
Ever since our house bunny arrived the cats are outside for the day and inside for the night.

This is what I see every time I go to the kitchen :shock::lol:

I do feel a bit guilty, but they do get to give me dead legs all night sleepng on the bed!

1zw23b5.jpg

16jle8l.jpg

Mmmm I do think you'll need to work out a more permanent solution than that! Can your house bunny have a large, secure pen or room? It's all very well in the summer but what about in winter when it's freezing cold, bitter winds and soaking wet for months on end? I'm afraid I don't find it funny in the slightest, I find it very upsetting. It's not fair on the cats to be banished from the house for 2/3 of the time, they won't understand why or what on earth they'd done to deserve being shut outside all day, and they clearly want to come in. Why should their life have to be turned upside down because of a new pet? Sorry, I feel strongly about this!

Indoor bunny is being bonded (fingers crossed) in a couple of weeks and will live outside. This is while she's settling in and had spay etc. If the rabbits ever need to come in for winter they'd all go into a spare bedroom upstairs.

You can't really see but the cats have a kind of outside room there with conservatory on one side and side extension on the other and a covered roof over the top and beds on chairs etc. it's very sheltered. They are usually outside for the daytime at this time of year as they don't like their catflap so it's in or out (and they'd bring in mice offerings anyway) I don't like them roaming at night so they are in.

I now realise my description is misleading.

I haven't had a problem with any of my cats being in and around Gypsy since having her but she does have her own enclosed area in the living room. Yoda and Niggle our younger neutered male cats are mostly interested in her but that is only to really steal her nice comfy bed and I have seen Gypsy chase one of them of before for going in her space. Gypsy is almost as big as my cats so they don't bother with her anyway and don't see her as prey. Do your cats get on with the Rabbits? In saying that my cats also like to be outdoors in the daytime when the sun is out but if it is cold or raining they like to lounge around the house. xx

I haven't had a problem with any of my cats being in and around Gypsy since having her but she does have her own enclosed area in the living room. Yoda and Niggle our younger neutered male cats are mostly interested in her but that is only to really steal her nice comfy bed and I have seen Gypsy chase one of them of before for going in her space. Gypsy is almost as big as my cats so they don't bother with her anyway and don't see her as prey. Do your cats get on with the Rabbits? In saying that my cats also like to be outdoors in the daytime when the sun is out but if it is cold or raining they like to lounge around the house. xx

Sticky is always sniffing noses with Smudge when she's in her room but Num is not interested. Smudge the rabbit was around lots of cats in her first home and is definitely not phased.

Cats pay no attention to the rabbit aviary outside apart from Sticky with the occasional sniff of noses. My gut feeling is they'd be fine but I don't want to take any chances with free ranging just in case.

They are very happy to be allowed to sleep on the bed though :) xx

1hc70p.jpg

24ep5ww.jpg

Awe. I did do something the other day that could have been fatal. I always lock Gypsy in her cage if i have to pop to the shops or collect Daughter from school but I went to Asda and I must have been up there an hour doing shopping before realising I didn't lock Gypsy in cage. A big part of me knew everything would be ok but I was still worried to walk through the door. It wasn't the best weather that day so I expected the cats were in (I have 5). All was well, 4 cats upstairs on the beds lol and Lola sleeping on the recliner and Gypsy bless her heart Sprawled out on the level I made her, completely open to the cats. I don't worry as much though because she a giant breed which is why I think the cats can't be bothered, I might feel differently if gypsy were smaller. I have heard of cats killing rabbits before but they are normally with feral temperaments. I have the odd bird or frog bought to the front door so nothing very big. Your Rabbit looks quite happy to be at the mesh looking at the cat, I don't see any fear at all. Anyway I hope it works out ;) Your cats is beautiful too xx

Last edited:
Ah thanks so much. I love the fact that cats and Gypsy were all chilled and fine when you got back from Asda :lol:

Smudge is a star, I feel she definitely would run things if all out together. We've just all been hanging (through mesh, ahem) in the kitchen and she was right up front ;-)

Thanks you too xx

I have 2 cats both very good at bringing me gifts but they don't bother with the the rabbits at all and have their own cat flap

Rosie was free range 24/7 for about 8 months with both cats coming as they pleased I would find cat in her bed in the pen and she would be sprawled out middle of living room carpet on the mat :lol: if Jessy bothered her she would see him straight but I have never worried, I will be slated for that :oops:

She is no longer free 24/7 as her roommate Pie is very destructive so she is banned from free range :roll: plus she comes upstairs and Rosie never bothered :roll:

Rosie was free range 24/7 for about 8 months with both cats coming as they pleased I would find cat in her bed in the pen and she would be sprawled out middle of living room carpet on the mat :lol: if Jessy bothered her she would see him straight but I have never worried, I will be slated for that :oops:

Hehe, I'd love to be a fly on the wall to watch their interactions :-D Smudge stops to duff up the bag puss doorstop now and again, which is quite amusing :lol:

I plan to add another cat flap to the back garden side when we extend as I suspect they'll use it then. Its at the front door currently as there was a UPVC panel where it could be fitted. I got one of those microchip ones that lock for coming inside only once the light goes and thought it would be a great solution but no :roll:

Yes the microchip flaps are great I have one for mine :D

I have a camera set up so can check on them all day from wherever I am :D

The boys are out in the garden free range just now before I go to work under the watchful,eye of Cleo Who while quite wary of the Rabbits will not let any other cats in the garden :thumb: it's hers :lol:

Athena is a house bunny and she charges at the cats if she sees any of them. We were going to have her completely free range, but with her temperament, it's not going to happen. :( Instead, Athena lives in the kitchen/dining room and the cats can go in the rest of the house. Nyssa mostly stays indoors, but the boys and Zara tend to be out for the day and (always preferably) in for the night.

The boys are out in the garden free range just now before I go to work under the watchful,eye of Cleo Who while quite wary of the Rabbits will not let any other cats in the garden :thumb: it's hers :lol:

That's great, a ready made bouncer for the VIP buns.. ;-)

Athena is a house bunny and she charges at the cats if she sees any of them. We were going to have her completely free range, but with her temperament, it's not going to happen. :( Instead, Athena lives in the kitchen/dining room and the cats can go in the rest of the house. Nyssa mostly stays indoors, but the boys and Zara tend to be out for the day and (always preferably) in for the night.

Ah okay, it doesn't always go to plan does it. Sounds like a good arrangement for them though.

Num tends to prefer outside (too much going on under the decking and venturing out to the copse) but is first up on the bed for the night, while Sticky reserves the right to miaow to come in, then miaow to go out, then in, and out.. (All the while ignoring the bloomin cat flap :) )

My girls chase the cat, hence she's never left unsupervised with either them or my foster rabbits. Poor Jasper would like to say 'Hi' but she's not keen. I'd never leave the cat unsupervised around my bunnies just not worth the risk with mine.

My girls chase the cat, hence she's never left unsupervised with either them or my foster rabbits. Poor Jasper would like to say 'Hi' but she's not keen. I'd never leave the cat unsupervised around my bunnies just not worth the risk with mine.

Ah okay. Yeah you have to go with your gut feeling on this stuff don't you.

Well inspired by this thread I let Sticky and Smudge meet, which wasn't so much a meeting because they are nose sniffing pals through the mesh.. But it was lovely. They politely touched noses for about 5 seconds (didn't get a pic, bah!) then Smudge nudged me for nose rubs as usual and let Sticky investigate her room (which she firmly polices when I go in to tidy..!) Num ignored her as expected, which actually makes me think she'd be the one to watch, but as mentioned Smudge will go outside soon all being well.

Then it was back to miaow at the door to go out :)

I just thought I'd share this photo of my cats and rabbit getting along. They put themselves in these positions. Foxie is an outdoor rabbit who frequently sneaks inside. We found the three chilling like this after I'd been sweeping the patio! Lol. All my rabbits have become friends with the cats but it does depend on your pets I agree!
Hope the bonding goes ok with your other rabbit :)
904c1ab397d0389986a2e34d0aae5025.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just thought I'd share this photo of my cats and rabbit getting along. They put themselves in these positions. Foxie is an outdoor rabbit who frequently sneaks inside. We found the three chilling like this after I'd been sweeping the patio! Lol. All my rabbits have become friends with the cats but it does depend on your pets I agree!
Hope the bonding goes ok with your other rabbit :)
904c1ab397d0389986a2e34d0aae5025.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a wonderful picture thank you for sharing it :) what beautiful pets you have!

Thank you! Smudge being so receptive to the cats gives me even more hope that the bonding goes well as she's ready for close animal friends :love:

Back