• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Don't know how happy I am with Fergies recovery after stasis

Holhol

Alpha Buck
He went in on Wednesday night, came home Thursday and had 5 days of metacam and cisapride. He had his last dose of meds about 7pm last night so today is the first day of no meds and I'm not sure how happy I am with him.

He's still not eating hay like he would normally, but vet did check his teeth under GA and they're fine - we don't need a dental just yet. He's eating veg fine and drinking plenty but is maybe a bit quieter than usual.

I think my main thing is is that I'm not happy with his hay intake or poos - he's doing enough poos but they're still smaller and darker than I would like. They aren't teeny but the majority are dark brown and about 2/3 the size of his normal ones. I know it's only been 5 days but usually were pretty much back to normal on the poo front by now! He's also been doing more string of pearls type poos than normal, and a few pear drop shaped ones

I'm a bit nervous about taking away all other food bar hay in case he stops eating but I think that's what I'm gonna have to do to get him back on the hay :( he's only getting 2 small handfuls of dried forage, a cup of veg and a couple of stems of herb per day anyway.

Hoping that taking away forage and reducing veg will get him back into hay. I'm only here til Sunday before my mums on bun duty for a week so need him back to normal by then!

Last edited:
He went in on Wednesday night, came home Thursday and had 5 days of metacam and cisapride. He had his last dose of meds about 7pm last night so today is the first day of no meds and I'm not sure how happy I am with him.

He's still not eating hay like he would normally, but vet did check his teeth under GA and they're fine - we don't need a dental just yet. He's eating veg fine and drinking plenty but is maybe a bit quieter than usual.

I think my main thing is is that I'm not happy with his hay intake or poos - he's doing enough poos but they're still smaller and darker than I would like. They aren't teeny but the majority are dark brown and about 2/3 the size of his normal ones. I know it's only been 5 days but usually were pretty much back to normal on the poo front by now! He's also been doing more string of pearls type poos than normal, and a few pear drop shaped ones

I'm a bit nervous about taking away all other food bar hay in case he stops eating but I think that's what I'm gonna have to do to get him back on the hay :( he's only getting 2 small handfuls of dried forage, a cup of veg and a couple of stems of herb per day anyway.

Hoping that taking away forage and reducing veg will get him back into hay. I'm only here til Sunday before my mums on bun duty for a week so need him back to normal by then!

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry you're going through so much stress with Fergie :cry:

Did Aiden have any words of wisdom on this occasion?

I agree with you - I have tried taking food away from a bun in order to try and 'encourage' him to eat hay. It didn't work ....

Sending loads of vibes that things get sorted before you leave xx

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry you're going through so much stress with Fergie :cry:

Did Aiden have any words of wisdom on this occasion?

I agree with you - I have tried taking food away from a bun in order to try and 'encourage' him to eat hay. It didn't work ....

Sending loads of vibes that things get sorted before you leave xx

Think I'm just going to half everything apart from hay - then he still has stuff to eat but less of it.. It's worked before but he does like to make life difficult!

Still aren't certain what's going on really as he did really well for 3 weeks then had a random relapse! We get EC test results back Thursday/Friday so that might rule in or rule out something.

If EC test is negative and it happens again were onto x-rays. Only good thing this time was that he didn't need a dental - must be doing something right at least!

Think I'm just gonna have to keep a close eye on him for the next couple of days again xx

Think I'm just going to half everything apart from hay - then he still has stuff to eat but less of it.. It's worked before but he does like to make life difficult!

Still aren't certain what's going on really as he did really well for 3 weeks then had a random relapse! We get EC test results back Thursday/Friday so that might rule in or rule out something.

If EC test is negative and it happens again were onto x-rays. Only good thing this time was that he didn't need a dental - must be doing something right at least!

Think I'm just gonna have to keep a close eye on him for the next couple of days again xx

Talking about hay eating and withholding other food - I read on Dave's thread just now that he withheld food and it took a couple of days for his bun to begin eating the hay. That must have taken some determination, as seeing them not eat would make me cave in.

I am pretty much gob smacked by how you are able to keep as cheerful (sounding!) as you do given what's happening with Fergie :wave:

Talking about hay eating and withholding other food - I read on Dave's thread just now that he withheld food and it took a couple of days for his bun to begin eating the hay. That must have taken some determination, as seeing them not eat would make me cave in.

I am pretty much gob smacked by how you are able to keep as cheerful (sounding!) as you do given what's happening with Fergie :wave:

No way I could hold out for days! I'd be in tears with piles of pellets in my hands after 24 hours! I tried halving everything last night so he only had a bit of veg and a teeny bit of forage and I have to say there's been an improvement... Poos are DEFINITELY a better colour and he's miles more interested in hay :) but he did wake me up at 5am for forage breakfast :lol:

I've put a tray of hay on my bed too as he seems to stay out all day at the moment and he's nibbling out of that too so we're getting somewhere this week :)

I've been cheerful the last couple of days but the first few I was sat with him crying to my mum with emergency vets on speed dial! Honestly if my mum wasn't so amazing I don't think he'd still be here, glad she loves him too :)

Here's hoping today is a big hay eating day and we have giant golden poos at tea time :)

No way I could hold out for days! I'd be in tears with piles of pellets in my hands after 24 hours! I tried halving everything last night so he only had a bit of veg and a teeny bit of forage and I have to say there's been an improvement... Poos are DEFINITELY a better colour and he's miles more interested in hay :) but he did wake me up at 5am for forage breakfast :lol:

I've put a tray of hay on my bed too as he seems to stay out all day at the moment and he's nibbling out of that too so we're getting somewhere this week :)

I've been cheerful the last couple of days but the first few I was sat with him crying to my mum with emergency vets on speed dial! Honestly if my mum wasn't so amazing I don't think he'd still be here, glad she loves him too :)

Here's hoping today is a big hay eating day and we have giant golden poos at tea time :)

Oh yes, Fergie - please oblige!!

He is one very lucky rabbit to have you and your Mum caring for him. I really hope there's a light bulb moment with him and his treatment though. I would be on the edge of my seat most of the time ... :shock:

Oh yes, Fergie - please oblige!!

He is one very lucky rabbit to have you and your Mum caring for him. I really hope there's a light bulb moment with him and his treatment though. I would be on the edge of my seat most of the time ... :shock:

A positive EC result tomorrow wouldn't ideal but in some ways id be glad - at least then there would be something I could actually do to help instead of just watching and waiting in case it happens again :(

Every time I go to check on him I'm praying he's not done it again haha, main worry is when I'm not here though so dreading next week. Have enough cisapride and metacam to last a couple of days just in case, and roped my boyfriend in to being bunny ambulance as my mum doesn't drive. Need to start my list of instructions for everyone this week haha! :)

Back