• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very very fluffy bums!

FloLo

Alpha Buck
Hello all

My Dad's two boy buns Odie & Zelda are lionhead x lops. They are both very fluffy around the head and bum. They are fed a small amount of pellets everyday, always eat grass, have some greens too every few days. They are not overweight, healthy in every other way, they groom themselves & each other too.

But their bums get so matted and hay gets caught and sometimes poo :( when it gets like this we bathe them and get rid of the mats but they hate being handled so it is stressful for us and the buns! We've thought about buying a Wahl pocket trimmer to trim their long hair which if we did regularly would be less stressful for all (I use clippers all the time so experienced enough to do this)

I'm not sure what else to do - hate seeing them matted makes me feel like a bad bunny mum!!! :cry:

I would definitely opt for trimming the fur. As you say, it'd be far less stressful for all in the long run. I am sure you know that Rabbits do have very thin skin so great care is needed to trim fur safely. As you say that the boys are stress heads I'd advise you to enlist the help of a confident Rabbit handler so the procedure is a two person job :)

Hello all

My Dad's two boy buns Odie & Zelda are lionhead x lops. They are both very fluffy around the head and bum. They are fed a small amount of pellets everyday, always eat grass, have some greens too every few days. They are not overweight, healthy in every other way, they groom themselves & each other too.

But their bums get so matted and hay gets caught and sometimes poo :( when it gets like this we bathe them and get rid of the mats but they hate being handled so it is stressful for us and the buns! We've thought about buying a Wahl pocket trimmer to trim their long hair which if we did regularly would be less stressful for all (I use clippers all the time so experienced enough to do this)

I'm not sure what else to do - hate seeing them matted makes me feel like a bad bunny mum!!! :cry:

I have a rabbit staying with me, with exactly this issue right now. Too much fluff around the rear area! I have my own clippers and clip his fur around there. As you know how to use clippers, I would do this without hesitation.

It's not your fault - the hay and wispy bits tend to get caught in the long fur - nothing much you can do about it except trim. I have found trimming the fur down with scissors nowhere near as effective as clipping! :D

Thank you! Think I will go out and buy so clippers on the weekend then! I know rabbits have ridiculously thin skin I hate clipping them at work!
Yes we have tried using my nursing scissors but it just doesn't seem to help they have so much fur!

Thank you! Think I will go out and buy so clippers on the weekend then! I know rabbits have ridiculously thin skin I hate clipping them at work!
Yes we have tried using my nursing scissors but it just doesn't seem to help they have so much fur!

I expect professional clippers will be quite expensive. I've had mine a while. Really worth it though :thumb:

I have a fuzzy lop, they call them cashmere rabbits. His fur is the worst, it felts and mats right next to the skin. I bought expensive Oster clippers just for him. I had to also get an extra set of sharper blades that are the same ones they use for surgery, because the blades that came with the Osters weren't sharp enough. It works really well but the buzzing upsets him so much and makes him so mad at me, that I've gone back to just using grooming scissors with a ball tip to snip away the fur.

Back