• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excessive drinking

xlaurax

Mama Doe
Hi all :wave:

I'm probably just worrying over nothing but one of my bunnies has started drinking a lot more than usual. They have a large bottle between the two of them and it's being emptied every day - this is unusual for them. I don't know which one it is and I really don't want to separate them unless I really have to.

Their diet hasn't changed (85% hay 5% pellets 10% fruit and veg) and they still love their food.

Is this something I should get checked by the vet?

Thanks in advance

Hi all :wave:

I'm probably just worrying over nothing but one of my bunnies has started drinking a lot more than usual. They have a large bottle between the two of them and it's being emptied every day - this is unusual for them. I don't know which one it is and I really don't want to separate them unless I really have to.

Their diet hasn't changed (85% hay 5% pellets 10% fruit and veg) and they still love their food.

Is this something I should get checked by the vet?

Thanks in advance

First have you checked that the bottle is not leaking ?

If it's not then you do need to establish which Rabbit is drinking more. Also, do you weigh your Rabbits regularly-ie once a week ? (always a good idea as part of monitoring overall health). Unexplained weightloss and an increased water intake is a concern.

Has urine output increased ? Any signs of either Rabbit being wet around their back end ?

What's poo output like ?

Personally I would get both Rabbits checked over by a Vet as catching any potential problem early is important. It may just be that the weather is a lot warmer now, but I always prefer to err on the side of caution.

For reference the average water consumption for a Rabbit is 50ml-100ml/kg/day. Rabbits fed a lot of veg/grass etc tend to drink less than Rabbits who have a mostly dry diet :)

First have you checked that the bottle is not leaking ?

If it's not then you do need to establish which Rabbit is drinking more. Also, do you weigh your Rabbits regularly-ie once a week ? (always a good idea as part of monitoring overall health). Unexplained weightloss and an increased water intake is a concern.

Has urine output increased ? Any signs of either Rabbit being wet around their back end ?

What's poo output like ?

Personally I would get both Rabbits checked over by a Vet as catching any potential problem early is important. It may just be that the weather is a lot warmer now, but I always prefer to err on the side of caution.

For reference the average water consumption for a Rabbit is 50ml-100ml/kg/day. Rabbits fed a lot of veg/grass etc tend to drink less than Rabbits who have a mostly dry diet :)

Thanks Jane

The bottle is not leaking and no, I don't weight them. I will weigh them tonight and compare to their last vet visit, when they last had their shots. Yes they are definitely peeing more, their back ends are clean as a whistle.

They have always been big-poopers, and that hasn't changed. They eat A LOT of hay every day and their poos are very big and light in colour.

I would say they are in very good health overall. They're only three years old and have never had any health issues in the past (touch wood!)

I will weigh them tonight and check them again in a week (is that the right amount of time?) to see how they are doing.

Thanks Jane

The bottle is not leaking and no, I don't weight them. I will weigh them tonight and compare to their last vet visit, when they last had their shots. Yes they are definitely peeing more, their back ends are clean as a whistle.

They have always been big-poopers, and that hasn't changed. They eat A LOT of hay every day and their poos are very big and light in colour.

I would say they are in very good health overall. They're only three years old and have never had any health issues in the past (touch wood!)

I will weigh them tonight and check them again in a week (is that the right amount of time?) to see how they are doing.

It sounds as though they are in good health, but I would not leave it too long before getting them Vet checked if the excessive drinking goes on for many more days. As I mentioned before it may just be that the warmer weather has made them more thirsty. I always think it's better to obtain a Vet check and to be told there is nothing wrong than to 'wait and see' when there is an ongoing seemingly minor 'niggle' that seems 'not right' about a Rabbit.

Thanks Jane

If they are eating loads of hay, the problem is *unlikely* to be dental (if indeed there is one :shock: ). Of course the weather is warmer and I dare say you haven't spotted one in particular using the water bottle more? Difficult!

You would probably notice if one or other had significantly lost weight, and it doesn't always mean something sinister anyway, but it would be a double check to compare their weights with their last vet visit. Perhaps a visit to see the vet nurse just for a weigh-in (on the same accurate scales they have) before you start worrying .... ?

Thanks both

I think I'll book them in with the vet. I hate taking them to the vet, Bluebell gets so stressed out, her little eyes get so big and you can see the whites in them :( she is always put out for a few days. But it's better to be safe than sorry! Their health obviously comes first.

I've tried observing them but the problem is, when one starts drinking the other thinks "hang on, maybe I should be doing that!" and so ensues a pushing match over the water bottle :roll:

At the same time I don't want to separate them because they absolutely hate it. Even if it's only for a few minutes!

After all this there's probably nothing wrong but I need to know for sure :)

Update

I've booked Bluebell into the vets as I'm pretty sure it's her who's doing the drinking.

At feeding time last night, she refused to come up the ramp for her hay and instead flopped downstairs. This is really out of character for her.

This morning she seemed more energetic but I'm still taking her to the vets, just to be sure she's ok.

Appointment at 9.10 on Saturday morning.

Update

I've booked Bluebell into the vets as I'm pretty sure it's her who's doing the drinking.

At feeding time last night, she refused to come up the ramp for her hay and instead flopped downstairs. This is really out of character for her.

This morning she seemed more energetic but I'm still taking her to the vets, just to be sure she's ok.

Appointment at 9.10 on Saturday morning.

Good luck - always better to be safe than sorry xx

Back