• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bun different this morning from last night

Truffton

New Kit
Hi everyone,

Yesterday we picked up a new bun to bond with our lop Daisy after losing her companion Arthur a couple of months ago.

Our new bun is an 18 month, neutered male Rex from a rescue, currently, imaginatively, going by the name of Rex.

Yesterday evening he was an active, inquisitive, friendly little boy but this morning he's off his food and is just sitting in one spot, moving about a bit as if uncomfortable. I haven't seen him eat all morning, the last time he definitely ate was 11pm. He has some soft poos but mainly fine.
I've got some recovery plus for him but don't want to stress him more by syringe feeding if this is just a reaction to the new environment/bonding?

Any thoughts?

It sounds like he could be in stasis, and/or in pain which is stopping him from eating. I would take him straight to the vet.

Lots of vibes for him xxx

I'd second getting him a vet appointment, he may need gut stimulant and pain killers if he's in stasis which may have been caused by the move/change. In the mean time I'd try tempting him to eat with his favourite foods/plenty of hay, herbs etc?

Hope he soon picks up xx

Definitely get a vets appointment ASAP, even if it turns out that he's ok it's better to be safe than sorry :)

Thanks guys,
I've got an appointment for him for this afternoon so hopefully he'll be fine.
I've been tempting him with all sorts all morning but he's refusing. Its so tricky though, I don't know his behaviours or eating habits yet so don't know what to tempt him with!

Hopefully he'll be fine after seeing the vet and we can get back to bonding!

Thanks guys,
I've been tempting him with all sorts all morning but he's refusing. Its so tricky though, I don't know his behaviours or eating habits yet so don't know what to tempt him with!

Parsley seems to work with a lot of rabbits, or mine really likes coriander - those are always the first things he starts eating :) must be the smell I think!

Thanks guys,

hope all goes well at the vets :wave:

Unfortunately, we got a call late last night saying rex had gone downhill and the vets suspected an obstruction.
By 1am we had to make the decision to let him go to sleep.

We're very sad, very shocked. I've never seen full blown stasis before even though I had a bun with severe digestion problems for five years. I'm just glad I did get him to the vets so he got the pain relief he needed.

Hxx

Ah I'm really sorry. Like you said at least you got him to the vets and you did your best for him.

Back