• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just waiting....

BeatrixPotter

Mama Doe
For the antibiotics to kick in. It's been 4 days now and Molly is no better. She is still refusing to eat any hay at all. She has 3 sorts of hay and a bowl of readi grass on offer constantly but she won't touch it. She is also hardly drinking. She is very lethargic, in fact the only time she has a run round her room is after she's had her medicine when she is trying to get away from the nasty taste.

I have been spending lots of time with her and she is always pleased to see me and comes for a cuddle. Molly is such a cuddle bun.

I feel like she is slipping away from us and I hate it. :cry:

oh no that is so sad. what is wrong with her. can the vets do anything else for her. lots of love to your bunny.

So sorry to hear this, sending lots of vibes for Molly and I hope she picks up soon. Thinking of you as well and sending hugs xx

For the antibiotics to kick in. It's been 4 days now and Molly is no better. She is still refusing to eat any hay at all. She has 3 sorts of hay and a bowl of readi grass on offer constantly but she won't touch it. She is also hardly drinking. She is very lethargic, in fact the only time she has a run round her room is after she's had her medicine when she is trying to get away from the nasty taste.

I have been spending lots of time with her and she is always pleased to see me and comes for a cuddle. Molly is such a cuddle bun.

I feel like she is slipping away from us and I hate it. :cry:

I'm sorry to hear this. Chest infections are very nasty things. Has your vet given you a long course of Septrin for Molly?

You could ask about Bisolvon to loosen the mucous, and perhaps nebulising?

If she's not drinking, I would suggest the vet gives her sub cut fluids (the nurse can do it) to keep her hydrated.

Poor wee one, bless her xx

She has a nasty chest infection. :cry: She is due at the vets in a few days time for a check up. She is almost 9 years old.

Poor girly :cry: Are you seeing Gill ? I wonder if she might consider changing the abx to one given by injection-eg Depocillin. Perhaps you could give her a call this morning as after 4 days on Septrin some small improvement should be evident. Is her breathing laboured ?

I am sorry that Molly is so unwell, does Gill think her previous ear infection may also be an issue again too ? The same bacteria that can cause ear infections can also cause chest infections. If Molly has ear pain she wont want to eat much. Is she having pain relief ?

Sending millions more vibes for her xx

I know the feeling, my duck Junie was ill earlier this year with a respiratory illness. She wasn't really getting worse but she wasn't getting better either with the meds (tetracycline) I was using. But after the dosage was upped (same meds, just stronger dosage) she started showing improvement quickly.:)

So hopefully your situation is similar except that instead of a stronger dosage, the antibiotics need to be changed.:) Lots of vibes xx

I know the feeling, my duck Junie was ill earlier this year with a respiratory illness. She wasn't really getting worse but she wasn't getting better either with the meds (tetracycline) I was using. But after the dosage was upped (same meds, just stronger dosage) she started showing improvement quickly.:)

So hopefully your situation is similar except that instead of a stronger dosage, the antibiotics need to be changed.:) Lots of vibes xx

I was wondering about a stronger dose in this case too ... The actual dose makes a world of difference, even with the same meds.

Thank you all for your replys. There is still no change so i will be calling my vet Gill in the morning.

I think an increased dose and some painkillers might be a good idea. Gill did carefully check Molly's ears and thankfully there is no sign of infection there. She has been having penicillin injections weekly for about 8 months now to keep the ear abscesses at bay so this chest infection is more of a surprise.

Molly's breathing is what I would call a little puffy like it is after lots of running round or a stressful trip in the car. It is not noisy though.

Thank you all for your replys. There is still no change so i will be calling my vet Gill in the morning.

I think an increased dose and some painkillers might be a good idea. Gill did carefully check Molly's ears and thankfully there is no sign of infection there. She has been having penicillin injections weekly for about 8 months now to keep the ear abscesses at bay so this chest infection is more of a surprise.

Molly's breathing is what I would call a little puffy like it is after lots of running round or a stressful trip in the car. It is not noisy though.

It may be that there is some fluid on her lungs. Perhaps you could ask Gill about this and whether it may be appropriate to give Molly a shot of a diuretic to shift the fluid. Gill may need to examine Molly again before agreeing to that though.

The breathing you've described is certainly a symptom of Upper Respiratory Tract infection - ask Gill about upping the dose and see what she says .... I really hope she has some suggestions to help Molly xx

Back