• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stuck about a bunny UD: post 20!

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
In a bit of a dilema, I've been putting off posting as I feel it would make me more inclined to get him but I'm thinking about him enough already so thought I'd look for some advice.
A 'friend' was giving her rabbit away as he 'attacked' his friend. Both unneutered boys no surprise really! I advised her to neuter them etc but she wasn't having any of it so advised her how to advertise so he gets a better chance at getting a good home (eg not as a child's pet etc) but he was just advertised on Facebook with little description. Anyway she asked the local p@h if they'd take him in the adoption bit and after a while they have. This was on 11th April and yes still there. I know I shouldn't go in :oops: on his little description it says he's different and needs extra care, I asked about him today and was told he attacked his friend so can't be rehomed with another rabbit, I tried to say it was probably because he wasn't neutered etc but he said that's what they've been told so have to advise. Was also told he isn't very nice, probably because he's stuck in a small space etc!! He's a lean/biggish rabbit too.
I just feel a pull towards him and have never regretted anything I've felt 'pulled' towards but I know there's endless rabbits needing homes and I can't feel like this for every one, and would feel guilty as if I felt in a position to get another rabbit it should be a rescue. But this individual is still just as in need as any other..
I don't think I could risk a trio with beano and Gordon as I'd be devastated if either of them ended up alone or the dynamics changed and I felt one of them was left out.
We're planning on moving into a house next year (currently live in a flat) and if it was this year we moved I would take him as it would be easier to keep them separate in a house but obviously in a flat they'd sense each other and wouldn't want that to cause risk. I did keep Boris separate but they could smell each other and didn't have issues with that.. We believe we could afford another rabbit but I just don't want to risk anything bad happening or feeling guilty he's not from a rescue. Just keep thinking about him needed to let it all out!

Last edited:
Poor boy. Its a difficult one as it doesn't sound like he's got much chance of being adopted into a good home if P@H are telling people he's "isn't very nice" and can't be homed with another rabbit - when it's all likely to be hormone related and he's just being a boy rabbit. I can see why you can't stop thinking about him.

Wonder if you can persuade your "friend" not to get anymore pets if she isn't able to research their needs and how to keep them properly. Poor guy.

Edit: forgot to add that the rescue thing wouldn't be an issue to me. As you say he's just as in need as any other bunny and I see the P@H adoption centre as very different to "buying" from them. I hope you get it straight in your head, if I was in your position and felt I could give him a good home I suspect I'd be tempted too, bless him.

Last edited:
Questions is, will you have space for him to have a friend too?

Can you give them (honestly) the same amount of time and attention?

Thank you for the replies. Sadly the majority of my friends think I'm mad when I talk about rabbits and the correct care, had a small argument with one only yesterday after being told I was wasting money vaccinating my rabbits! Yes they're indoors and I live near a city centre but doesn't stop things being passed on through my clothes, air borne, insects etc.
Anyway, the front room is free and could be/mostly is bunny proofed and I also have a large spare pen if an enclosed space is needed. The pets are all I send my time on really :oops: I go to uni two days a week and work usually two/three days. My only worry is I feel I'd rather wait until I lived in a house next year with more room before getting another pair of bunnies perhaps but I know it wouldn't be fair to get him and keep him on his own until then even if p@h are telling people he can't go with another rabbit I don't want him being stuck on his own forever.
Also was upset to see a lady taking her westie right up to the cages, the dog was scrabbling at the sides and barking. Luckily said bun was not bothered, merely hopped up to the glass and started to groom! Sadly the Guinea pigs not surprisingly didn't feel the same! I said surely there should be a line where digs aren't allowed last so they can't get too close to the prey species but just got a funny look and lady continued to laugh at her dogs reaction. Just why!?

I am personally of the view that any pet deserves a home, regardless of where they came from. If you feel a pull towards him, can both financially and physically look after him and can get him a friend at some point, I'd get him!

In a bit of a dilema, I've been putting off posting as I feel it would make me more inclined to get him but I'm thinking about him enough already so thought I'd look for some advice.
A 'friend' was giving her rabbit away as he 'attacked' his friend. Both unneutered boys no surprise really! I advised her to neuter them etc but she wasn't having any of it so advised her how to advertise so he gets a better chance at getting a good home (eg not as a child's pet etc) but he was just advertised on Facebook with little description. Anyway she asked the local p@h if they'd take him in the adoption bit and after a while they have. This was on 11th April and yes still there. I know I shouldn't go in :oops: on his little description it says he's different and needs extra care, I asked about him today and was told he attacked his friend so can't be rehomed with another rabbit, I tried to say it was probably because he wasn't neutered etc but he said that's what they've been told so have to advise. Was also told he isn't very nice, probably because he's stuck in a small space etc!! He's a lean/biggish rabbit too.
I just feel a pull towards him and have never regretted anything I've felt 'pulled' towards but I know there's endless rabbits needing homes and I can't feel like this for every one, and would feel guilty as if I felt in a position to get another rabbit it should be a rescue. But this individual is still just as in need as any other..
I don't think I could risk a trio with beano and Gordon as I'd be devastated if either of them ended up alone or the dynamics changed and I felt one of them was left out.
We're planning on moving into a house next year (currently live in a flat) and if it was this year we moved I would take him as it would be easier to keep them separate in a house but obviously in a flat they'd sense each other and wouldn't want that to cause risk. I did keep Boris separate but they could smell each other and didn't have issues with that.. We believe we could afford another rabbit but I just don't want to risk anything bad happening or feeling guilty he's not from a rescue. Just keep thinking about him needed to let it all out!

If he were one of the Pets at Home bunnies they get from their regular breeders, I personally wouldn't get him - just as I wouldn't get one from a pet shop or a breeder. That's because I believe there are are so many rabbits need rescuing I couldn't justify to myself to be purchasing one and thus perpetuating the cycle of more unwanted bunnies being bred.

However, the bunny you've described is unwanted. He is technically a rescue rabbit isn't he? The fact he's from Pets at Home (and yes I know there's a lot of bad feeling towards P@H) doesn't make him any the less a rescue in need. He has issues and a background which will mean he will have a difficult time being homed. He will need a special owner as he is a special rabbit.

I know it's the wrong time for you, but it seems to me that you are the owner he is waiting for. I don't know how on earth you could make it work, but this is just how it appears to me :D

Thank you for both your replies, I feel exactly the same re him being unwanted. He could be ended up in a rescue but she heard back from p@h first. I just wouldn't want to feel bad keeping him on his own if I can't get him a friend straight away. My main concern is beano and Gordon if it would affect them if they can smell him. That's really what's been putting me off bringing him home for nearly a month!

Thank you for both your replies, I feel exactly the same re him being unwanted. He could be ended up in a rescue but she heard back from p@h first. I just wouldn't want to feel bad keeping him on his own if I can't get him a friend straight away. My main concern is beano and Gordon if it would affect them if they can smell him. That's really what's been putting me off bringing him home for nearly a month!

I wouldn't feel bad about not getting him a friend immediately. You will have assured him of a caring forever home and that's massive. More importantly though is to consider your other two rabbits, and not wanting to upset the bond between those two.

One thing to bear in mind is that if the Buck is entire he is more likely to cause issues with Gordon and Beano if they would be able to smell him. Even if it were just the smell of him on your clothes. If the Buck were ever able to be near enough to them to spray them then things could become very tricky indeed. Not wanting to influence your decision in any way, it's none of my business :) But having seen what havoc an Entire Buck's presence can cause amongst bonded pairs/groups I felt I should mention it.

I've rehomed animals from the PAH adoption - none of them old stock - all had a 'history' from previous owners and I have never regretted it. The guinea-pig I rehomed had a note not to be put with other piggies - which is why I got him - couldn't bear the idea of him spending a life alone. He bonded immediately with another male piggie and lived happily with his companion until he sadly went to the Bridge when he was an elderly piggie.

I do rescue as well, but sometimes it isn't practical.

If he's in the adoption bit, you would get a free neuter voucher if/when you adopted him so he could be neutered straight away :) That's always a positive ;) haha.

Thank you, yes I rehomed my current guinea pigs and hamster from the adoption. Neither old stock, piggies had been there 6 months after they were brought in because the owners couldn't bond with them. They were very skittish and although have come a long way still terrified of being handled and sometimes still freeze at being touched but are happy to popcorn about their cage, love food and will allow head rubs and explore us at times. I looked for a hamster there as there was none in my local RSPCA after keeping an eye out for a while and he was originally there stock but had been returned saying he was difficult and needed an experienced owner, he's never bitten once although did take months to not be terrified of my now he's nearly 2 and the most loveliest tame hamster I've met.
Jacks Jane, thank you for making that point I am worried about that. I would book him in for a neuter as soon as I could get him an appointment but he would still be kept in the same flat in the mean time... No spray could get near them, at least two doors and a hall/room would be keeping them separate, do you think if I kept clothes in the room he would be in and the room beano and Gordon are in and changed them every time that would reduce the risks?
I did have Boris for about two weeks unneuteted (found him, waiting for anyone to claim him first) and he sprayed me constantly! To begin with I kept changing clothes but after his neuter or of I did not been sprayed I didn't at times and I never had any issues with him. Oh I don't know, I don't think I can risk anything affecting beano and Gordon but poor boy :(

If he's in the adoption bit, you would get a free neuter voucher if/when you adopted him so he could be neutered straight away :) That's always a positive ;) haha.

I replied before I'd seen this post, yes this is a plus haha! There is a vets4pets near me too so I know I could get there. I'm sure people keep separate pairs/buns within the same!e environment with no issues? But obviously need to think about the risks

I replied before I'd seen this post, yes this is a plus haha! There is a vets4pets near me too so I know I could get there. I'm sure people keep separate pairs/buns within the same!e environment with no issues? But obviously need to think about the risks

I currently have two pairs and two singles living in pens in the same shed (OH and I are moving this summer so it didn't seem sensible to sort out accommodation now and then have to change it all in a month or so :lol:) with zero issues; no referred aggression or anything. :)

I have two pairs (Dennis/Betty and Bella/Rosie) and have had no issues whatsoever re keeping them near each other. Yes Bells and Rosie live in the kitchen/dining room and Dennis and Betty live in the shed but they are about 10 feet from each other when in their runs and appear to pay absolutely zero attention to each other. It's certainly had no appreciable effect on their bonds.
I think you have really thought this through and you sound like you really want to get him - so maybe go for it?! Xx

Thank you, yes I rehomed my current guinea pigs and hamster from the adoption. Neither old stock, piggies had been there 6 months after they were brought in because the owners couldn't bond with them. They were very skittish and although have come a long way still terrified of being handled and sometimes still freeze at being touched but are happy to popcorn about their cage, love food and will allow head rubs and explore us at times. I looked for a hamster there as there was none in my local RSPCA after keeping an eye out for a while and he was originally there stock but had been returned saying he was difficult and needed an experienced owner, he's never bitten once although did take months to not be terrified of my now he's nearly 2 and the most loveliest tame hamster I've met.
Jacks Jane, thank you for making that point I am worried about that. I would book him in for a neuter as soon as I could get him an appointment but he would still be kept in the same flat in the mean time... No spray could get near them, at least two doors and a hall/room would be keeping them separate, do you think if I kept clothes in the room he would be in and the room beano and Gordon are in and changed them every time that would reduce the risks?
I did have Boris for about two weeks unneuteted (found him, waiting for anyone to claim him first) and he sprayed me constantly! To begin with I kept changing clothes but after his neuter or of I did not been sprayed I didn't at times and I never had any issues with him. Oh I don't know, I don't think I can risk anything affecting beano and Gordon but poor boy :(

To he honest, whether a buck is neutered or not can sometimes not make much difference when you are thinking of the effect on a bonded pair, especially a bonded pair of males. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it's preserving the bond between your existing two that's the prime concern. They would smell him and *possibly* be annoyed by it whether or not he was castrated.

Difficult decision, but you're heart is in the right place - let's hope it gives you the right way forward x

Thank you for all the advice. Sorry beano is a girl, sorry for any confusion there! :oops: :lol: I think my bf is more set on him than me, well my heart is set on him too but I have more concern about beano and Gordon than him as he's never kept rabbits before.

We're currently checking the front room is safe/rabbit proof and we could manage keeping him separate/changing clothes then my boyfriend wants us to go and see if he's still there and see if we can get some insight into his temperament to see if he'd fit in here

Yay! He's a lucky boy as you are certainly doing your homework, no one could say he's an impulse buy!! I really hope it all works for you and him.

So we decided we felt we could offer him a good home, whilst still maintaining the same care for Beano and Gordon.

Just letting him settle in the pen atm (will be free range) and as soon as we got in he started munching hay, he's a bit nervy at noises and the like but understandable. He bit the private parts of the bunny he was brought in with leaving him needing rather a lot of surgery apparently, poor boys not surprising if people did their research :( Anyway here he is, Jake. Will be keeping the name as I have got used to it after thinking about him for the past few weeks!

Felt I could take a quick pic whilst he was nomming

Washed hands and changed before popping in to see Beano and Gordon, this is their reaction so far!

Back