• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Leaky bunny

Jolysium

Mama Doe
Heidi has started leaking urine when she's relaxed or asleep. She doesn't seem aware that she's peeing, doesn't lift her tail or anything. It's quite large volumes though, not just a few drips. Otherwise she's fine, eating and drinking and pooping. She is peeing in her litter tray too. They don't look any different from usual. She's only about 3 years old. Can anyone suggest what might be causing this?

There can be many causes and a trip to the vet to rule out anything serious (infection/stones/sludge) is in order. She may also get pressure on her bladder from being overweight, or even a uterine growth if she is not spayed.

Heidi has started leaking urine when she's relaxed or asleep. She doesn't seem aware that she's peeing, doesn't lift her tail or anything. It's quite large volumes though, not just a few drips. Otherwise she's fine, eating and drinking and pooping. She is peeing in her litter tray too. They don't look any different from usual. She's only about 3 years old. Can anyone suggest what might be causing this?

Sorry this is a rushed reply, info here :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/UrinaryIncontinenceRabbit.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Differentials/Incontinence.htm

http://www.petmd.com/rabbit/conditions/urinary/c_rb_urinary_incontinence

Sorry to hear about Heidi.

There can be a few causes of leaking urine ... A urinary tract infection, E.C., kidney damage, bladder sludge/stones ..... Has your vet done a dipstick urine test for her? Or a blood test? Finding out if there's any infection in the urine would be a start, I think x

I wanted to have some ideas of what it might be as we'll be heading to the local vet for a check up tomorrow - I normally take them to Wildbore but Heidi is an especially nervous traveller and can make herself ill so I'll have to take her somewhere closer, at least initially.

Thanks Kathy.

We went to the vet today and were given baytril and metacam in case it's an infection. The vet freely admitted she didn't know a lot about rabbits, which is better than me having to figure that out for myself! She did a good examination though and couldn't find anything abnormal, so fingers crossed it will all just settle down.

Thanks for your advice everyone!

Back