• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mottle has suspected e.c.

tulsi

Wise Old Thumper
I have been given baytril for him plus a course of panecur, which I assume Peaches (his partner) has to have as well. I was also given some bio lapis pre and pro biotic.

He adores his ellas kitchen baby food with the bayril hidden in it and his banana and porridge oats with lovely panacur paste.

He has lot a bit of weight and has slight head tilt.

His ears are a touch gunky and I have been given some sterile saline solution for them - He does not adore that!

Poor lad :cry: Did the Vet prescribe any Metacam to address the inflammation caused by EC and/or a bacterial ear infection ? Hope he feels better soon xx

Oh no... :( But - with lots of tlc your little boy may recover just fine. Our Poppet was *so* ill with head tilt this time last year, but now she's in great shape <3

I have been given baytril for him plus a course of panecur, which I assume Peaches (his partner) has to have as well. I was also given some bio lapis pre and pro biotic.

He adores his ellas kitchen baby food with the bayril hidden in it and his banana and porridge oats with lovely panacur paste.

He has lot a bit of weight and has slight head tilt.

His ears are a touch gunky and I have been given some sterile saline solution for them - He does not adore that!

So sorry to hear this :cry:

Hopefully you've caught things early and it won't progress?

Yes, both bunnies need to take the Panacur, and you'll need to do the requisite bleaching on days 21 and 28 of treatment (which I'm sure you know about!).

Metacam is usually prescribed at the same time to minimise any possible inflammation in the brain. However, perhaps your vet thinks it's not worth the risks of giving Metacam at the moment?

Good luck with your treatment xx

Thank you all for replying. Its been a bit of a worry. He is my oldest rabbit, only 7 but looks very frail atm.

Metacam wasnt prescribed ... I will phone them on Monday to ask about that.

He was leaning on Peaches today with his right cheek resting on her flank like she was propping him up - awww. He gave himself a really good wash after I had administered his saline solution! The (lovely) vet did say that his ears werent too bad and she didnt want to prescribe anything other than saline solution for them.

I knew there had to be some bleaching but couldnt remember the days so thanks for that info MightyMax.

There new shed has just arrived and the welfare hutches run will be here on the 13th. I think I will wait until they are over the 28 days til I move them out. I feel even more attaced to Mottle than ever he is just so vulnerable looking. My little sweetie.

Peaches is very healthy, a little overweight if anything (hay only the vet said so I have to watch them like ten hawks at pellet o'clock and make sure Peaches has some grass and dandelions)!

Back