• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Kerbie again, worse this time :(

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
He has been fine all morning, just got back in and I noticed his nose going up and down incredibly quickly. His breathing is the fastest it's ever been. His whole body is shaking and non stop looking like he's trying to get comfortable :(

Vets appointment is in half an hour but going in early as it's so bad.

Our usual vet is on holiday this week so I hope to god it isn't the one who thinks everything can be solved with an injection of vitamins..

I have a feeling (along with our vet), that the meds he's been on for 10 months for his teeth and guts have been hiding something much bigger :(

He has been fine all morning, just got back in and I noticed his nose going up and down incredibly quickly. His breathing is the fastest it's ever been. His whole body is shaking and non stop looking like he's trying to get comfortable :(

Vets appointment is in half an hour but going in early as it's so bad.

Our usual vet is on holiday this week so I hope to god it isn't the one who thinks everything can be solved with an injection of vitamins..

I have a feeling (along with our vet), that the meds he's been on for 10 months for his teeth and guts have been hiding something much bigger :(

Oh dear I'm really sorry to hear this. You must be very worried :cry:

I hope you get some good treatment to get to the root of things xx

Lots of vibes for Kerbie ((((((((((((((((Feel better bunny vibes)))))))))))) I've got a soft spot for this wee laddie. Really hope he's okay. xxxx

Sorry I haven't posted an update, still struggling to get on the forum!

Basically my boyfriend and I are fuming, it was the complete idiot of a vet who doesn't listen. Even though Kerb has just finished a long'ish term course of antibiotics for a snuffles flare up (which would have been on his notes), apparently it could be snuffles :? Or (this is literally what he said, and he is like the second in command vet at this practice) he might need something drastic doing, like a DENTAL.. are you kidding me?! He is a dental rabbit! He had had 2 this year so far for crying out loud. It's like he didn't even read his notes :evil:

Because of the seriousness of his behaviour etc, he was obviously uncomfortable, we couldn't not take him in so had no choice of vets :( 3 out of 7 are great with the rabbits, the rest haven't got a sodding clue! We can avoid them 99% of the time though. We are going to complain, it's not the first time we have had issues with him.

Anyway, I keep note of daily behaviour etc of the buns and there is a pattern of around a week between each of these 'episodes'. Since he has been back from the vets (each time too) there have been no more issues like it. He is fine from getting back from the vets. Eating, drinking and pooping normally. (Although he isn't eating the new SS pellets and they are thinner and longer than the old bag.. he will only eat them if they're soggy!) He did have a moment of about a minute or so of heavier breathing last night but that has been it.

He has been given a stronger antibiotic, but will have to see what our usual vet says about what we do next!

It's a nightmare when we have no choice but to consult a Vet who appears to be totally clueless about Rabbits. I hope that your usual Vet will be more helpful and that Kerbie will remain comfortable in the meantime xx

Sorry I haven't posted an update, still struggling to get on the forum!

Basically my boyfriend and I are fuming, it was the complete idiot of a vet who doesn't listen. Even though Kerb has just finished a long'ish term course of antibiotics for a snuffles flare up (which would have been on his notes), apparently it could be snuffles :? Or (this is literally what he said, and he is like the second in command vet at this practice) he might need something drastic doing, like a DENTAL.. are you kidding me?! He is a dental rabbit! He had had 2 this year so far for crying out loud. It's like he didn't even read his notes :evil:

Because of the seriousness of his behaviour etc, he was obviously uncomfortable, we couldn't not take him in so had no choice of vets :( 3 out of 7 are great with the rabbits, the rest haven't got a sodding clue! We can avoid them 99% of the time though. We are going to complain, it's not the first time we have had issues with him.

Anyway, I keep note of daily behaviour etc of the buns and there is a pattern of around a week between each of these 'episodes'. Since he has been back from the vets (each time too) there have been no more issues like it. He is fine from getting back from the vets. Eating, drinking and pooping normally. (Although he isn't eating the new SS pellets and they are thinner and longer than the old bag.. he will only eat them if they're soggy!) He did have a moment of about a minute or so of heavier breathing last night but that has been it.

He has been given a stronger antibiotic, but will have to see what our usual vet says about what we do next!

Gosh this is so frustrating for you! So sorry about your incompetent vet!

I'm reminded of the time my rabbit had an abscess a few years ago. I rang my tried and trusted vet and asked whether they treated abscesses, and if so, did they use penicillin. The vet I spoke to in the practice said they only used Baytril for rabbits abscesses as injectable penicillin could kill them :shock: She was appalled when I said that *not* giving him injectable pen would almost certainly kill him ..... Needless to say, for that occasion I visited a nearby vet's practice!

Back