• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hollie has an Abscess, Good update P61

Kermit

Wise Old Thumper
Hollie hasn't been eating her food with much gusto recently, just picking at hay. I was just feeling her over and I feel a lump in her jaw. Deffo only on one side.

She is munching pellets just now, but taking it very slowly.

I can't feel an exit hole for the abscess, seems to be all inside.

Will call the vets 1st thing and get her up. Poor wee soul.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this. :( Can you soften the pellets as a short term way to help her (assuming you haven't already done so!)

I tried soaking the pellets, but the twisted wee madam just left the soft ones and struggled with the hard ones!

I tried soaking the pellets, but the twisted wee madam just left the soft ones and struggled with the hard ones!

Oh don't you love the stubborn ones? :roll:
Sending vibes for Hollie with all due speed. ((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))) for you, Kermit. xxxx

Thanks folks, just waiting on the vets to open. She is still eating very much, veg last night then pellets again just now. I am feeling positive that at least I have caught it before it has stopped her eating.

Last edited:
Well been to the vets, she does have an abscess. Vet looked at her teeth and said they look OK from an initial look. Started her with Baytril and Metacam and gave her metoclopramide injection.

I have to give her baytril & metacam over the weekend and take her back Monday. She said to try baytril at 1st, then move on to Septrin, and if still no joy then would be cutting it open and cleaning it out :(

Well been to the vets, she does have an abscess. Vet looked at her teeth and said they look OK from an initial look. Started her with Baytril and Metacam and gave her metoclopramide injection.

I have to give her baytril & metacam over the weekend and take her back Monday. She said to try baytril at 1st, then move on to Septrin, and if still no joy then would be cutting it open and cleaning it out :(

So sorry to hear this :cry:

I hope your vet sorts out a treatment plan with you both x

Abscesses are a flipping nightmare for bunnies. Here's hoping Hollie manages to be rid of hers as soon as poss. Sending her get well soon vibes. x

Thanks all xx

JJ - the vet doesn't think it was tooth related, but what else could it be from if it is in her jaw????!!!!!!!!!

Thanks all xx

JJ - the vet doesn't think it was tooth related, but what else could it be from if it is in her jaw????!!!!!!!!!

Depends on where in her jaw.Could she have sustained an injury that has become infected-ie infection introduced from the outside as opposed to originating from a tooth root. Is she a Dental Rabbit ? Is she having diagnostics on Monday ? (GA/full oral examination + skull radiographs) ?

IME I have never found Baytril alone to be very helpful with abscesses and in the case of jaw abscesses I usually ask my Vet if we can go in all guns blazing re diagnostics and aggressive abx treatment. Hope she remains as comfortable as possible over the weekend xx

It is just a 'see how she is' on Monday, but I am of the opinion that I want better abx and proper checks, the abscess sees to be big imo.

She is ok just now, eating everything apart from hay. I got her some grass and dandelions earlier and she munched them well :)

It is just a 'see how she is' on Monday, but I am of the opinion that I want better abx and proper checks, the abscess sees to be big imo.

She is ok just now, eating everything apart from hay. I got her some grass and dandelions earlier and she munched them well :)

Yep, I think with any abscess along the jawline it's best to obtain a clear picture of the exact problem ASAP. I hope all will go well for her xx

Thanks all xx

I had a rabbit with an abscess and my vet (Christobel) said exactly the same thing to me!

I have my own theory, but whatever it was, with nursing care I have managed to make sure he's abscess free for the last couple of years.

I must say though, I insisted on using injectable penicillin, which C was happy to give, as I have never found Baytril effective for any sort of abscess, and haven't used it for the last 10 - 15 years ......

I'm only saying this to give you hope, that especially if it isn't connected with a tooth root, you may be much more successful :thumb:

Lots of luck Kermit x

Thanks guys, Yip, Deffo 100% getting injectable penicillin tomorrow and getting her booked in for a proper checks / X-rays.

Back