• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fourth stasis for Ferg :( UD: he's home!!!

Holhol

Alpha Buck
What am I doing wrong??? I've had enough of this now, 4 times in less than 8 weeks is too much. I don't know what to do.

He was fine at 5pm but by half 9 was refusing veg, belly pressing and lethargic. He's back in the emergency vets now again. They said I could do meds at home but I'm just so tired and stressed that I wanted him there, they'll do a better job than me tonight. I feel awful for leaving him.

The first time was because of his teeth, the second and third times were because of an infection we think but what's the cause this time??? He's on a hay only diet, eating so much of it and he's been perfect until tonight.

I just don't know what to do. I'm going to ring in the morning to see how he is and if he's not better my usual exotics vet will look at him and decide what the plan is. He's cost nearly a thousand pounds now and it's still happening - money isn't a problem, we can find it and I'm not ever prepared to give up until I really have to.

I just want him to be ok. I feel so selfish saying keep him in but I need him to get better and I just don't feel like I could do it tonight.

Miss you Ferg, be OK little man :(

Last edited:
is it definitely stasis and not gas? does it always take meds to get him back to normal again and how long does it usually take? bisc had (occasionally still has) episodes like this. he's sensitive to so many foods. i noticed a while back that you asked about oat hay. are you still feeding this? both bisc and matt couldn't tolerate it as it's very rich. that might be causing issues? and any other very rich hays, like the oxbow ones for example, cause bisc tummy issues. just a thought.

i think that once the tummy becomes unsettled, it takes a long time resettle again. it did for bisc anyway and we still have to be careful now with what he eats, which is very minimal things really.

our vet (aidan at ashleigh vets) let us keep what we needed at home to treat bisc when a flare up started. this was once we knew the symptoms. this worked well for us and still does because we just never knew why bisc was/is so sensitive. his was always more a gassy bloat leading to stasis, with the symptoms you describe above.

sending vibes x

eta: what about a reaction to pain of some kind?

Last edited:
What am I doing wrong??? I've had enough of this now, 4 times in less than 8 weeks is too much. I don't know what to do.

He was fine at 5pm but by half 9 was refusing veg, belly pressing and lethargic. He's back in the emergency vets now again. They said I could do meds at home but I'm just so tired and stressed that I wanted him there, they'll do a better job than me tonight. I feel awful for leaving him.

The first time was because of his teeth, the second and third times were because of an infection we think but what's the cause this time??? He's on a hay only diet, eating so much of it and he's been perfect until tonight.

I just don't know what to do. I'm going to ring in the morning to see how he is and if he's not better my usual exotics vet will look at him and decide what the plan is. He's cost nearly a thousand pounds now and it's still happening - money isn't a problem, we can find it and I'm not ever prepared to give up until I really have to.

I just want him to be ok. I feel so selfish saying keep him in but I need him to get better and I just don't feel like I could do it tonight.

Miss you Ferg, be OK little man :(

I don't blame you for wanting someone else to do the nursing for you tonight. I'm so sorry this has happened AGAIN! Will Ferg be at the vets tomorrow when Aiden comes on duty? I bet he will be surprised, as I thought you'd got it nailed after the last time.

I'm thinking of you and I understand completely how your heart must have sunk when he refused food this evening ..... :cry:

is it definitely stasis and not gas? does it always take meds to get him back to normal again and how long does it usually take? bisc had (occasionally still has) episodes like this. he's sensitive to so many foods. i noticed a while back that you asked about oat hay. are you still feeding this? both bisc and matt couldn't tolerate it as it's very rich. that might be causing issues? and any other very rich hays, like the oxbow ones for example, cause bisc tummy issues. just a thought.

i think that once the tummy becomes unsettled, it takes a long time resettle again. it did for bisc anyway and we still have to be careful now with what he eats, which is very minimal things really.

our vet (aidan at ashleigh vets) let us keep what we needed at home to treat bisc when a flare up started. this was once we knew the symptoms. this worked well for us and still does because we just never knew why bisc was/is so sensitive. his was always more a gassy bloat leading to stasis, with the symptoms you describe above.

sending vibes x

Seems to be stasis, usually takes 24 hours of meds before his appetite is improved, and then a minimum of 3 days before his poos and eating is completely normal again. He doesn't seem to get gassy everything just seems to stop - there's never any or very few gut sounds and I usually get him there within 6 hours :(

No oat hay at the moment, stopped or a couple of weeks ago when he got bored of it. Only on Timothy, meadow and a very small amount of readigrass as hays, mix of herbs and veg that he's been OK on for the last 2 years as foos. Doesn't really get treats just in case.

Aiden or another vet are fergs vets too :) it was Aiden who recommended the hay only diet and he's seemed to be OK on that, weight is OK too. I usually have some prokinetics and metacam in to try first but I've run out. Usually try that and if no improvement take him - that's happened twice, he never seems to do well without fluids.

I want to speak to Aiden or the other nice one tomorrow really and see what they think. He's 2yo now and literally had no problems until 2 months ago, I just worry there's an underlying cause we haven't found yet xx

I don't blame you for wanting someone else to do the nursing for you tonight. I'm so sorry this has happened AGAIN! Will Ferg be at the vets tomorrow when Aiden comes on duty? I bet he will be surprised, as I thought you'd got it nailed after the last time.

I'm thinking of you and I understand completely how your heart must have sunk when he refused food this evening ..... :cry:

Hoping its Aiden but might be the other nice vet who deals with him - either would be fine right now! :( I just looked at him and knew, when he didn't take my hand off for veg I cried haha.

I am so tired of this, I worry so much about when I'm on rotations and my mum has to do this and look after him. I just want to get to the bottom of it all and have my healthy bun back. He broke my heart at the vets trying to snuggle up to me and get me to take him home. I just want someone to tell me what's wrong and help me fix it :(

Hoping its Aiden but might be the other nice vet who deals with him - either would be fine right now! :( I just looked at him and knew, when he didn't take my hand off for veg I cried haha.

I am so tired of this, I worry so much about when I'm on rotations and my mum has to do this and look after him. I just want to get to the bottom of it all and have my healthy bun back. He broke my heart at the vets trying to snuggle up to me and get me to take him home. I just want someone to tell me what's wrong and help me fix it :(

:love: I could hardly believe what I was reading when you posted about his stasis again.

I will be thinking of you both tomorrow and saying a little prayer it's a really good vet with a bright idea about what's really going on ...

Seems to be stasis, usually takes 24 hours of meds before his appetite is improved, and then a minimum of 3 days before his poos and eating is completely normal again. He doesn't seem to get gassy everything just seems to stop - there's never any or very few gut sounds and I usually get him there within 6 hours :(

No oat hay at the moment, stopped or a couple of weeks ago when he got bored of it. Only on Timothy, meadow and a very small amount of readigrass as hays, mix of herbs and veg that he's been OK on for the last 2 years as foos. Doesn't really get treats just in case.

Aiden or another vet are fergs vets too :) it was Aiden who recommended the hay only diet and he's seemed to be OK on that, weight is OK too. I usually have some prokinetics and metacam in to try first but I've run out. Usually try that and if no improvement take him - that's happened twice, he never seems to do well without fluids.

I want to speak to Aiden or the other nice one tomorrow really and see what they think. He's 2yo now and literally had no problems until 2 months ago, I just worry there's an underlying cause we haven't found yet xx

i hope you can find out what is happening. must be so worrying and upsetting for you both. topping up the vibes. caring for a poorly bun with meds and feeds can be so draining. sending more vibes x

I have experienced this too with my rabbits. I have 12 and 3 of them have had stasis issues and every time it happens I get no sleep for at least three days because of worry and its exhausting— so I feel your pain ((((hugs)))).

I'm wondering if you have tried extra hydration as a therapy. Several of the expert online medical advice papers really stress the thinking that GI stasis is ultimately related to dehydration. I'm thinking that while an all hay diet is probably good for your rabbit, it also might be really dehydrating as well. Maybe he needs extra fluids, electrolytes in his diet or even syringed into his mouth. Or, maybe just a huge handful of leafy greens soaked in water. Also there is a Vet I know who owns and raise Angoras which are super prone to GI stasis, she said that when she gets any sign of GI stasis with hers, she gives- all you can eat lettuce/greens, loads and loads of it. She also stresses hydration.

With one of my rabbit who has gut slowdowns on a regular bases along with his hay, I have started giving him a handful of his favourite greens, lettuce and dandelions in the morning and evening as well (previously I only gave one handful at night) and I puree apple and put it into his bowl of water to get him to drink more- the extra portion of greens and extra fluid this seems to have helped his poo size, they used to be too small and now they have gotten larger and more normal sized. So I think the greens and extra water have helped.

Here is a link to one of the articles that stresses hydration for GI stasis: http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-7/gi.html

Also, PhD in Vet sciences Dana Krempels also stresses hydration therapy and the use of a stool softener called lactulose to draw water into the intestines- its slightly risky because lactulose draws water from other organs, kidneys etc... to hydrate the intestines so it has to be used with extra hydration-- but that treatment might be worth looking into. Hope your rabbit feels better soon.

Last edited:
So Ferg is now home! He's started eating again, not 100% normal but he's munching some hay and had a bit of cavolo Nero for his tea. On metacam and cisapride for 5 days though. He's done a couple of ok poos too.

His teeth were checked and are fine - no dental. We've done an EC test though so will know about that next week. Plan is x-Rays if that EC results are normal and if it happens again.

Thank you for all the vibes - he doesn't hate me too much tonight! Xx

So Ferg is now home! He's started eating again, not 100% normal but he's munching some hay and had a bit of cavolo Nero for his tea. On metacam and cisapride for 5 days though. He's done a couple of ok poos too.

His teeth were checked and are fine - no dental. We've done an EC test though so will know about that next week. Plan is x-Rays if that EC results are normal and if it happens again.

Thank you for all the vibes - he doesn't hate me too much tonight! Xx

aw bless him. i really hope he feels back to himself soon, and that you are able to find out what is going on. x

2znpzxw.jpg

Just a little message from Ferg to all the lovely people who have kept me going and given us lots of helpful advice... "Fankoo to all the lovely hoomins who have helped my silly mummy help me, I pwomise to try my very very best to not be a poorly boy anymore and be super duper healthy so I don't make mummy cry anymore! I am enjoying being home and LOVE being allowed to poo aaaaaall over the bed and the extra veggies I get when I am poorly! Lots of nose bumps and poos to everyone, fankooo!"

He is so much better than last night, just done his meds and his tea. He's had some veggies and done some poos - some a bit small but we'll work on that. He has been charging around like a nutter so is obviously feeling much better! Xx

2znpzxw.jpg

Just a little message from Ferg to all the lovely people who have kept me going and given us lots of helpful advice... "Fankoo to all the lovely hoomins who have helped my silly mummy help me, I pwomise to try my very very best to not be a poorly boy anymore and be super duper healthy so I don't make mummy cry anymore! I am enjoying being home and LOVE being allowed to poo aaaaaall over the bed and the extra veggies I get when I am poorly! Lots of nose bumps and poos to everyone, fankooo!"

He is so much better than last night, just done his meds and his tea. He's had some veggies and done some poos - some a bit small but we'll work on that. He has been charging around like a nutter so is obviously feeling much better! Xx

aw glad you're feeling much better now :love:

2znpzxw.jpg

You beautiful, brilliant boy ..... Please be a good boy and stay well for your Mum.

She's doing so much and trying her best. Poor love - I hope you're both OK. Thinking of you xx

Still not happy with how he is :(

He is not playing ball with the getting better ideas I had at the moment! He's refusing hay, only eating greens and a bit of dried forage. Need him to start eating some hay properly or then we start with dental problems again! Don't like giving him as much veg as he's getting at the moment but I'm too scared to starve him to eat his hay :( debating giving him some syringe feed tonight, he's just about eating enough to avoid it but wondering if a bit of syringe feed would give him a bit more fibre.

Not very happy with the poo situation either, we have some but not a lot and they're still very dark and small but then he isn't eating much hay. Last night was very nearly back to the vets - 10 poos over the entire day, 5 minutes before I was ringing the vets he did enough to make me a bit happier but still not sure he's doing enough considering he's on gut stimulants.

He's fine in himself though which is an improvement! Just need him to start eating better and start eating his hay again! Driving me mad!

He's just done a poo for me but they are so tiny, they're only 1/4-1/3 the size of normal :( he's not due his meds til half 7 but seriously debating ringing the vets

Edit: now we have had 2 giant poos stuck together with a really thick bit of fur. Wondering if he's a bit bunged up with fur as he's moulting. He's been zoom groomed and plucked daily but wondering if that's the cause?

Edit number 2: and he's just bitten me for the first time ever. Absolutely no reason for it, I moved my arm and he ran at me and bit me. He's in my bad books now. Makes everything worse when you're trying so hard to make them better and they're horrible for no reason. He's NEVER bitten me before, I don't think he's even nipped anyone since he was about 12 weeks old :(

Last edited:
Back