• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spring grass?

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
So, we are having problems with Rambo stopping eating and he had had all sorts of x-rays today (still awaiting bloods) and there is nothing obvious as everything is looking good (thread in health).

I was just wondering if spring grass could be causing his bouts of ileus, if so has anyone else experienced this. How long does it last for.

We have not cut the grass this year, worrying that maybe that if we did that it may increase the problem.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be welcome.

I know spring grass is much richer at this time of year, and with house rabbits not used to constant access, I gradually increased the time mabel has out each day on the grass, at first as soon as comes in from eating grass, her droppings are smaller and darker, though this is now resolving but prob start again as will have to start over as she not been out with bad weather

If it helps at all it can give problems to horses, and give them a gassy colic, if you can I'd cut back on the fresh grass to be on the safe side.

Thank you. At the moment he has not wanted to go out much so it has been fine. We will reduce the time though just in case it is a contributing factor.

Back