• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Covering hutch in bad weather??

pollypocket

Warren Scout
We have got roofing felt on all the sides and top, but plastic to cover the front. For the past couple of days we have had really heavy rain showers.
I hate seeing the plastic down during the day. But don't know what else I can do to protect them from the rain but still allow the front to be open, so they aren't staring out at plastic.

Any suggestions on how we can change it? We will have a rethink during the summer before it is needed more regularly for winter.

I don't think you can improve as long as it's clear plastic to let the light in. Other than that the inside of the hutch will get wet. The problem is with the showers and then sunny spells, it can get quite hot once the sun shines on the plastic, so you must bear this in mind if you have to go out. Better they get wet than roast alive! A canopy is quite useful in keeping some of the rain out also.

I do normally put an umbrella in front of it to stop rain and sun getting in, but it's been far too windy.
We are looking at a canopy. Hubby is going to make one.
Thanks.

Back