• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pets at home bluebell hideaway hutch thoughts?

There is a video on youtube of this hutch. The problem with these Double Deckers is there is not much room from front to back and because they have a ramp your bunnies need to be very supple and fit. I wouldn't put an elderly bun in one. Anyway, I don't think I'd put a fit one in one. My buns tend to stretch out from front to back or back to front. These hutches have no internal insulation, although they do offer a snuggle cover as an optional extra.

Would it be better with a run permanently attached? or would it still be unacceptable?

As it is one of my options - mainly as my pair aren't bonded yet, so it gives me the option of temporarily keeping them separate unlike a playhouse. which is another possible idea.

thanks

I have the largest P@H hutch as had to buy a hutch in a hurry. Teddy and Pony like it, they fit in in well with room to run, they are mini lops. But I hate it. It's thin ply board and flimsey. The floor is thin. I wouldn't bother getting it even with a perminant run attached as I have. I'm getting rid asap for a playhouse for the. You will regret buying a P@H hutch.

You get what you pay for - cheap hutch = cheap wood! If it's got plywood in it, first hint of damp and it will start to warp and rot.

Hi and welcome newbies :wave:

I'd check the quality of the wood, as I went for an off the shelf hutch from a garden centre at first, similar to the PAH bluebell one, which appealed because I could get on with the buns setup quickly, but I thought in the end it was a false economy because the quality really was poor. The wood used was Chinese fir which was very soft and where I live there are foxes so I worried that since the buns could chew it easily, and were, foxes probably could too. Also the roof bowed (and personally I found a double a right faff to clean out, but I am lazy :lol: )

A shed or playhouse is such a great option but if it's not possible I would order a hutch from any of the makers often mentioned here on RU like The welfare company, boyles pet housing, the hutch man here on RU (who made my new hutch) or more.

Something like this is nice and strong

http://www.welfarehutches.co.uk/7ft_x_3ft_Single_Hutch/p1466125_10845499.aspx

Good luck :)

Don't buy it. I've gone through two in a year and am currently awaiting a cheque for my money back - I've just replaced it with a shed :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it is sitting in my basket.

I am not keen. I would be better off sorting the shed for them. They could not have a run tho..........Not till my DIY skills improved dramatically. and even then, not with grass. However.....I have seen some cool things on pinterest.

I think if I stump up for an electrician to put in lights and one of those thermal (?) lights I wouldn't worry so much.

I can paint it and make it look nice :)

God after almost a month of indecision I think I am sorted!

With apologies to the original poster! sorry for the hijack,

the only people I know who has used the bluebell successfully have used it either in a shed or garage or indoors. They are generally seen as flimsy and in need of reinforcement.

To clarify my earlier post, I bought this hutch before I joined the forum - the first hutch I had lasted less than 6 months as the bottom floor developed a whole with no apparent reason. It wasn't damp or anything, a whole just appeared and grew. I complained to PAH who gave me another one. That one lasted 7 months - 2 months ago, the bottom floor started to fall out, again, with no apparent reason behind it. I propped it up on bricks to stop it falling out to see me over until I got a shed but after I had done that, the back started to bow so either way, I was left with a huge hole in along the back edge of the floor that the rabbits wouldn't have had too much of a job to escape from.

I again complained to PAH and I'm awaiting a cheque for my money back. I wouldn't recommend the hutch to anyone and I don't even think it's save-able with reinforcement. Shop around and buy a second hand hutch, shed or playhouse that is at least sturdy and won't fall apart. There was nothing wrong with either hutch when I bought them and put them together, they're simply **** and not fit for any purpose other than to have a bonfire.

Please don't waste your time and money like I did.

I have had my Bluebell hutch for nearly 3 years and it's fine it sits on the grass on 2 slabs as it did start to sink last year with all that rain :roll: rain cover on and run attached

I lined the floor with Lino squares downstairs bedroom but not the landing ;)

Still going strong :thumb:

I think hutches are what you make of them even the cheapest made hutch will last if its looked after with regular maintenance and some care

fb71c5d216b001e1fa16fc62023a6dc6.jpg

This setup also has runaround connections to a larger run which is uncovered so they don't live in the dark all the time :lol:

Last edited:
I had the last of the Ivy Lodges, that they made a few years ago and people said it was horrendous....well it survived a house move and is still in good condition two years after purchase and with heavy usage.

I have a Rose Cottage hutch arriving in two weeks time to add to the new run system being built :)

Last edited:
I had a bluebell hutch and the only thing I would say is the door fastening bolts are very small and I don't think they are very secure.

As a rescue I see lots of different hutches when I homecheck and also that people offer me when they don't want them any more.

I personally think that all Pets at Home hutches that are made this way are totally unfit for purpose. The quality is so poor that unless you stump up and buy a cover, you are bound to have water seeping in and making the ply mouldy during wetter weather. If the hutch was good enough quality, hutch covers just aren't necessary. The money spent on covers if invested in a better quality hutch from the outset, would mean a hutch made of Scandanavian pine could be a good value option. I am sure that many people are happy enough with their hutches from P@R, but this is my personal experience.

The hutches made in China (most of these kinds of hutches are made of Chinese Fir) are so light they are like balsa wood. The grain of the wood is so open because it's a fast grown timber that there is no strength and bunnies can chew through it really quickly. They are bought in huge container loads and shipped to the UK and sold for huge profits.

And usually the ply isn't actually plywood at all. Plywood is supposed to be lots of layers of laminations of wood that build up to make strong boards. The 'boards' in these hutches are actually two thin layers of thin timber with an air pocket inbetween. Not the same thing at all.

So not just from a space perspective (as I don't like double storey hutches much anyway) but from a quality perspective, I find these hutches (and those from other suppliers who use the same producers in China) are not worth having. They may work inside a shed or as a shelter in a house rabbit situation but I know so many people who have been hugely disappointed with these hutches. I had one here and it was supposed to have been used for a few months (I took the rabbits in 4 months after being bought with the hutch from Pets at Risk) and I ended up smashing it up as it was mouldy as anything because I didn't use a hutch cover.

There are so many good makers these days who use Scandanavian Fir, that is dense and will with the correct care, last for 10 years plus. Look at the grain - the timber takes years to grow and is incdredibly strong and very heavy when made up.

I have a selection of hutches here

Happy Hutch
Kernow Pet Housing
and I recently added a Boyles hutch to my accommodation as it came in with some rabbits - the quality is very good.

I also have 5 second hand Forsham Arks, which, whilst are not my favourite, they last a very long time with minimal care.

a good site is Ukpetsonline.
THeir website isn't the prettiest but ordered a big run from there for only £30-£40, i have now unassembled that run and use the separate panels to create my own run ideas.
But they do hutches and chicken coops.
I have a hutch from pets at home, they're not BAD but not the best either. If you look on ebay or ukpetsonline then you might find better hutches.
I dind't have enough space for a shed/playhouse so i have a 2 tier hutch with a run attached. Remmebr that sheds/playhouse allow you to go inside and easier cleaning BUT they do cost a lot (not just for the shed/playhouse but making it rabbit safe and adding things to it unlike a hutch.)

I bought a hutch from http://www.welfarehutches.co.uk/

Its really strong and draught proof. It is currently in the hares' shed but will be going into their run when it arrives (not long now yippee).

I would never (again) buy a 'cheap' option. As the old saying goes - buy cheaply buy twice.
I wasted money on a 5 foot double decker hutch (intended for the guinea pigs) similar to the pets at home range. Useless. Not water proof at all and let it loads of draughts. It is now a hamster home. Indoors.

Back