• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not really drinking

BeatrixPotter

Mama Doe
Molly has been home from the vets for a few days now and seems to be a little brighter. I am concerned though that she is not drinking very much and I really don't want her to get dehydrated again. How can I encourage her to drink more? She is eating her pellets and veg/forage fine but she is still not really eating much hay. She has 3 types on offer but I ccant tempt her at all.

She is back to the vets Thursday for a check up. She is also having the worlds worst moult, could that have anything to do with it. I have been brushing her daily which she loves.

Any ideas gratefully received!

Could you wash the veg before you give it to her? That way she would get a bit of extra water if it's wet when you give it to her :)

Molly has been home from the vets for a few days now and seems to be a little brighter. I am concerned though that she is not drinking very much and I really don't want her to get dehydrated again. How can I encourage her to drink more? She is eating her pellets and veg/forage fine but she is still not really eating much hay. She has 3 types on offer but I ccant tempt her at all.

She is back to the vets Thursday for a check up. She is also having the worlds worst moult, could that have anything to do with it. I have been brushing her daily which she loves.

Any ideas gratefully received!

Sometimes rabbits who eat veg and forage don't feel the need to drink as much because of their water content, but you could wet the veg and forge first?

Have you tried readigrass instead of hay? It's often more tempting .... Moulting can make them feel off colour, but it's even more important for her to eat fibre.

If I want my buns to drink more I give them veg juice - they love it - even watered down! Not the commercial variety but juice I make myself.

Back