• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please

Bellatrix15

Warren Scout
My young (12 week old) French lop Bellattix is currently staying outside at night in her 2 storey (6ft) hutch. It's still quite cold outside so the obvious solution to keep her warm is lots of hay. However I am also trying to litter train her which isn't working as she just wees and poos wherever there is hay, which is all over her hutch. She is already pretty big, about the size of a normal rabbit and has dense fur to keep her warm so would hay just in the litter box on each level be enough and she can lie in them if she wants to? I'm unsure and confused!! Thank you!!!

I'm trying to sort out her hutch before tea and giving it air to dry out whist Bella can free range in the house so would love to hear what you think asap. Please tell me if my question isn't clear!

Before rabbits are neutered it's quite difficult to litter train them so she may well get better once she has been spayed. As she's a frech lop you may find that she uses the whole hutch as a litter tray. They grow to be quite large rabbits so a litter tray may just not be big enough. It is normally advised that larger rabbits are kept in sheds/playhouses with attached runs. That way they have enough space to periscope and hop around but you can also use things like under bed storage boxes or medium sized dog beds as litter trays which I find do the job much better.

Mine haven't been neutered either yet so like you litter training is tricky. My Bella has two litter trays, she will use them both but then will also wee between them and still occasionally poops in other places. Alfie has one litter tray and will use it occasionally although he sometimes prefers to use it as a chair and just go to the toilet everywhere else :lol:

Back