• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excessive peeing?

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
Hello RUers,

I'm a little concerned (and baffled) and hope someone more experienced can offer advice:

My lovely Cookie bun, a soon-to-be 5yr old, spayed mini nethie, seems to be peeing a lot. Now, she doesn't seem to be drinking excessively, hence my query.

She is eating fine (pellets and hay), her poos look grand, and she's up for strokes and snuggles. She even grunted at me for disturbing her breakfast.

Her best friend, Ricky bun, passed away suddenly last week. Could this be a contributing factor?

Also, we have two new buns in the house. She has spotted them, but they are in another room. I'm guessing she might be able to smell them.

She isn't peeing on floor or blankets, just in her tray, so I'm not worried about incontinence.

I have just put down a new puppy pad so I can keep an eye on her output, and as I'm off today I'll be able to keep a close eye on her drinking.

Another thing, I gave her eye a little wipe this morning - not sure if dust or small bit of hay had irritated, or something more. It wasn't there last night.

Thoughts would be much appreciated...

My Bella goes a lot, always has so may be normal sometimes. She drinks a fair amount though saying that. Her litter tray needs emptying every other day. Alfie doesn't pee too much but poops everywhere instead lol.

Hello RUers,

I'm a little concerned (and baffled) and hope someone more experienced can offer advice:

My lovely Cookie bun, a soon-to-be 5yr old, spayed mini nethie, seems to be peeing a lot. Now, she doesn't seem to be drinking excessively, hence my query.

She is eating fine (pellets and hay), her poos look grand, and she's up for strokes and snuggles. She even grunted at me for disturbing her breakfast.

Her best friend, Ricky bun, passed away suddenly last week. Could this be a contributing factor?

Also, we have two new buns in the house. She has spotted them, but they are in another room. I'm guessing she might be able to smell them.

She isn't peeing on floor or blankets, just in her tray, so I'm not worried about incontinence.

I have just put down a new puppy pad so I can keep an eye on her output, and as I'm off today I'll be able to keep a close eye on her drinking.

Another thing, I gave her eye a little wipe this morning - not sure if dust or small bit of hay had irritated, or something more. It wasn't there last night.

Does she eat a lot of veg? That is mainly water and can contribute to pee output.

I would keep a watch on her eye and just observe if the irritation clears up today/tomorrow .....

Hello RUers,

Hello, not see you for ages !!

The fact that she is weeing more but not drinking more might be cause for concern. It'd be a good idea to try to ascertain exactly how much water she is drinking over a 24 hour period. Personally I would not want to let the situation go on for more than a 2-3 days without consulting a Vet. Less if the Rabbit was 'not right' in any other way, but that does not appear to apply to Cookie. The fact that she is not peeing anywhere but in her litter tray makes me think it is less likely to be behavioural (in response to the smell of new Rabbits). But of course a behavioural issue is always possible.

Do you know what the cause of Ricky's passing was ?

With regards to Cookie's eye, is it just wet/weepy or is there a white discharge/gunk ? If the latter that can indicate a bacterial infection/conjunctivitis which would require Veterinary attention. Even if the weepy eye is not infected, if it is an on-going issue I would also want a Vet to take a look at it.

Is she maintaining weight-ie no unexplained weight loss ?

Hello Lovely People,

Many thanks for replies!

I have decided to proceed with extra caution, and we're seeing the vet at 5pm this afternoon. I've spent the day watching her, and she's eating, peeing and pooing as normal (it could be that I'm a bit paranoid).

She's not allowed lots of veg - she has a very sensitive tummy, so I tend to offer fresh/dried herbs instead (small portions).

Her eye - it looks like bit of dried up, whitish fluid above her eye. I'll get vet to have a close look.

Ricky - no, unfortunately no. I suspect he had a stroke (OH described it as "topsy-turvy" when he called, but he could sit up straight and his head wasn't swinging), but that's a wild guess. No weight gain, no weight loss. He was his usual cheeky self, until all of a sudden he wasn't. The vet felt it was ok to wait til next day for appointment. We've had him cremated, but not asked for autopsy.

Jane - yes, long time, no see! Sadly, two close members of my family passed away within a relatively short period of time, and I haven't had energy - or even interest - to enjoy the things I normally do, like check out RU. I was in Sweden for a funeral when Ricky passed, so my OH had to deal with it all by himself. I can't help but think that me not being here somehow contributed to Ricky's unexpected passing... He was such a lovely bun. (That's probably why I'm panicking about Cookie - I can't bear the thought of losing another one).

Hello Lovely People,

Many thanks for replies!

I have decided to proceed with extra caution, and we're seeing the vet at 5pm this afternoon. I've spent the day watching her, and she's eating, peeing and pooing as normal (it could be that I'm a bit paranoid).

She's not allowed lots of veg - she has a very sensitive tummy, so I tend to offer fresh/dried herbs instead (small portions).

Her eye - it looks like bit of dried up, whitish fluid above her eye. I'll get vet to have a close look.

Ricky - no, unfortunately no. I suspect he had a stroke (OH described it as "topsy-turvy" when he called, but he could sit up straight and his head wasn't swinging), but that's a wild guess. No weight gain, no weight loss. He was his usual cheeky self, until all of a sudden he wasn't. The vet felt it was ok to wait til next day for appointment. We've had him cremated, but not asked for autopsy.

Jane - yes, long time, no see! Sadly, two close members of my family passed away within a relatively short period of time, and I haven't had energy - or even interest - to enjoy the things I normally do, like check out RU. I was in Sweden for a funeral when Ricky passed, so my OH had to deal with it all by himself. I can't help but think that me not being here somehow contributed to Ricky's unexpected passing... He was such a lovely bun. (That's probably why I'm panicking about Cookie - I can't bear the thought of losing another one).

Oh I am so sorry to hear that you have had so much sadness to cope with in recent times :cry: I very much doubt that you being in Sweden played any part in Ricky's passing. I hope all goes well for Cookie at the Vets this evening. I also hope that your Family both here and back in Sweden will be able to support each other, it has obviously been a very difficult time :cry:

All is well :) No blocked tear ducts, but she was given eye drops in case an infection/inflammation is on its way xx

I think the verdict was that the excessive peeing was in my head... I need to keep an eye on it. (The peeing, not my head).

The new bunnies are just learning how to hop in and out of their base <3 A new bun can never replace one that's passed, but I'm realising there's space for a lot of love in our home. It's a good thing. Tho I'm going to need a bigger house..!

Back