• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spaying

Babybella

Warren Scout
Hi, my Bella is being spayed on Tuesday. We've been told to take her bottle and favourite food in. Having seen a few threads on here it looks like it's normal for them not to eat much afterwards. Anything else I should be aware of? Not done this before so a little worried for her.

She'll need to stay inside for a day or so after her op, if she's not already an indoor bun. Keep all hay off the ground in her enclosure as it can irritate the wound (same for straw etc) towels or vet bed or similar would work well as bedding :)

Make sure the vet prescribes a course of pain relief at home - I think for a spay it's usually about 5 days? Some bets don't do this routinely so you might need to ask for it.

Oh, and try not to worry too much! I'm sure she will be fine :)

She's an outdoor bun but we have nothing we could keep her in inside :-(
I can change her bedding for towels instead of straw. Should I just put her hay in a bowl so she isn't stretching up to her hay feeder?

Just had an idea, the run would fit in the kitchen so I could bring that inside for her and line it with towels if that would be better than her being outside? How long should she be indoors?

Sorry another question. Lots of people have suggested waiting at least 3 weeks between the vaccination and spay. Bella was only vaccinated last week and the receptionist booked her spay for this coming Tuesday. Should we call and delay it? Really annoyed the receptionist never told us to wait if that is what should happen.

Sorry another question. Lots of people have suggested waiting at least 3 weeks between the vaccination and spay. Bella was only vaccinated last week and the receptionist booked her spay for this coming Tuesday. Should we call and delay it? Really annoyed the receptionist never told us to wait if that is what should happen.

3 weeks wait is what I would do, as it takes that length of time for the rabbit to mount an immune response. Therefore she would be going under a GA whilst still trying to deal with the aftermath of her vaccination. Why don't you query this with your vet, referring to those facts? (They are in the data sheet for the vaccine: http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/MSD...pension_for_injection_for_rabbits/-64396.html)

For a spay, as well as making sure she's warm and comfortable - preferably indoors on padding/fleece is possible - she should be sent home with pain relief. She will have a pain killing injection at the vet but this will wear off within 24 hours. It's very important she is not in pain, as it could result in her not eating and consequently cause a gut slow down.

I would expect your vet to give you Metacam for her for at least 2/3 days .... enough to cover the time from being discharged to the vet doing a post operative check.

Last edited:

I posted this in response to your post on another thread yesterday afternoon :)

How old is Bella ? Personally I would not want to have her spayed so soon after her vaccination. The vaccine takes 3 weeks to produce a full immune response

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/MSD...pension_for_injection_for_rabbits/-64396.html

A GA/spay may interfere with that.

Thanks so much for your response. I'm so glad I was told about this forum otherwise I'd never have known about things like this.

Back