• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Penny's spaying - Metacam dose?

Milo2015

Warren Scout
Hi

Penny had her op on Friday. She was very quiet - understandably last night and refused food. So about at about 10.30 I syringe fed her critical care - which she liked!

Today she has eaten some kale and some hay and a few nuggets. she now seems reluctant to move about and is hunched - still eating but I think she is in pain.

The vet gave her a dose of metacam (well pain killer) at lunchtime and said I shouldn't give her one till lunchtime today. I am afraid I ignored that. I gave her a dose last night.

From what I have read about metacam (I have used it on guinea pigs and dogs) the dose "scale" is quite large and the vet nurse said they go to the lower end of the scale to help limit the movement i.e - keep them in a little discomfort so they don't over do it. Whilst that makes sense to me I was so worried she was in pain last night I had to do something. I felt it was safe as she was on such a low dose.

the dose is just below the 2kg mark on the cat metacam syringe as she weighs 1500 kg.

I haven't given her any pain relief today as it is not due till now - sticking the once every 24hrs the vet prescribed - since I am calmer now and she has eaten I was going back to that.

Can anyone advise? I would hate to see her in pain. I know she needs to sit still etc. But......am worried she is feeling worse than she has to.

thank you

I am posting as other people have suggested the dose is too low and should be given twice a day.

I would speak to your vet about the dosing. Usually dog metacam is given (it's stronger I think?) and they can have much larger doses compared to cats and dogs (thats why the scale on the syringe is odd). (As a student vet nurse) I don't believe they should be kept in discomfort after an op...that's my opinion...I don't think it would affect them moving around more. I'd rather they not be in pain and move around. I mean - imaging having your uterus removed and then not having enough pain relief?! She doesn't need to sit still exactly - just needs to not run around and jump!
Yes I think very rabbit savvy vets dose at twice daily as metacam lasts about 12hrs in rabbits its believed (instead of 24hrs with cats & dogs). Again, speaking to your vet would be advisable.

Yeah, I raised it Friday as I didn't think once a day was enough and I asked for Dog metacam which clearly annoyed the vet nurse. I think Cat metacam is pretty useless. I have used it in guinea pigs only, so no experience with rabbits but when I use the dog version for Honey it worked loads better.

I think since she is confined to a dog crate she can't really move much as it is and whilst the reasons made sense now as I watch her I would rather she wasn't in pain. I have given her 1.5 on stupid syringe and will give another dose in 12 hours.

thanks

Back