• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

24/7 access

Julia25

Alpha Buck
So theres this big tree right in front of my rabbits hutch and i used to struggle letting her have access to her run without carrying her around. No i have put these metal panels that i have situated around the tree so that she can have 24/7 access to a small run. I have put wood pieces (their pretty heavy) around each sides of the base to prevent her from digging out (she's not much of a digger or chewer). We have foxes around as we live next door to some woods, but they never come into the garden as theirs plenty of wildlife for them to eat.
Do i let her have access to it 24/7? overnight?
I know for sure she can't get out but worried about foxes getting in although i don't think there'll try.
She does have a two story hutch so if a fox did get in :( she could get away.

Thoguhts?

ps the trees roots are huge so i think that would stop the fox from digging in.

Mine have 24/7 access to their run BUT it is made of heavy duty security fencing that you struggle to cut with wire croppers. It's completely under-wired too so nothing can dig in from the outside.

From the way you've described your run, I wouldn't let your bunny have 24/7 access to it as it's not under-wired and not only could she dig out (even though you say she's not a digger she COULD dig out if she wanted to), but more importantly, foxes could dig in. I would even be concerned during the day if you know you have foxes living close by.

If it doesn't have a roof then it is still a bit risky to use during the day, and I definitely wouldn't use it at night with a wood just next door. If you'd like her to have a run at night, you could use paving slabs for the base of the run to make it dig-proof, I'd recommend you make sure it has a heavy or lockable secure lid as well.

I live in the centre of town and we have urban foxes around. We have seen them on our cctv camera, which covers our garden and fish pond, they can jump over a six foot wall no trouble and come around during the day! My buns have the run of the garden but never without supervision. Their hutches are strongly built by hubby and are well locked and bolted any other time.

Back