• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New area progressing(indoor)

lenslady

Alpha Buck
This is my 3rd post. We have had our Rabbit now called Gypsy :D 4 days and we have slowly been rearranging some space downstairs to accommodate her. Mostly she has free range but there are times that would have to be put in her space due to various reasons. I started with an indoor cage with the door always open when we are home obviously when we are out she will have to put shut in for safety reasons. Anyway we have now extended her living area which i must say she absolutely loves. She is now mostly out of the cage, i have noticed her dancing and I think she really appreciates the space aswel as the safety. She is still quite wary of us which is to be expected and really hasn't ventured out since we have had her but I understand this will take time for her to trust us. We have started her on the pellet food which luckily she likes and at the moment we are introducing it slowly. She absolutely loves her blanket and I have caught her snoozing on it. Anyway it is work in progression. Her space is about 6ft by 4ft but we do have two extra panels we can use but I don't see the point as she will be mostly free range anyway. I would also like to know what kind of toys to get her as at the moment she has a thing about her metal bowl and loves to throw it about. Anyway I have received some great advice here so far. Do you think i am working in the right direction? Thanks in advance :D

Thank you Rita ;). We only have Gypsy at the moment but she does seem to like the space. Any advice on improvements is greatly appreciated. xx

Thanks Bellatrix15, I did think of tunnels, so will have a look on Ebay. I like the sound of a digging box. Do i use compost for a digging box or something else? xx

Looking good so far :D I'd take the door off completely for a bit more floor space and if you are keeping the top on, cover it with sturdy cardboard and a blanket or towel and she's got another level to use :wave:

Hi lenslady, I love your set up. My buns love to play in tunnels for which we bought long lengths of straight plastic waste /sewer pipe from the Plumbing department at B&Q. Hubby made little cradles for them to stand on which he glued on which stops them rolling around.

Awe Thanks guys. Well luckily i had a lot of spare boxes lol and I have just introduced a digging box with a little compost, some wood chippings and straw and made a through space for her to go in. She is still exploring it and hasn't quite gone in as yet. bunslave I would love to take the door of completely as I am really not keen on it but I would have nothing to secure her in when needs be. I love the idea of making her another level with the use of bits of wood and cardboard as i have a lot at home lying around, so will try that tomorrow ;). Flufflybunny54 that is such a good idea. Are the pipes very wide? xxx

Awww she is beautiful!

Her living space looks great :D I give my buns boxes to play in - they like the boxes that 5 reams of office paper comes in - and gave them a set of plastic measuring spoons (joined together) from Asda which they loved to throw :D

I have a plastic shovel for their pellets which they like to throw as well.

Good luck with setting her up :D :wave: x

It looks great. You should be able to loosen the hinges on the door with a pair of strong scissors or pliers and this will allow you to take the door on and off - this is what I did when I had a cage like this, as the door hanging down can be a bit of a safety hazard as toes/feet/legs can get stuck and broken. It's also a lot easier for the bunnies to hop in and out without hindrance.

For toys, I'd just recommend anything that involves food. Try her with treat balls and she may also like hay cookies to toss around. Tunnels are also a good bet with rabbits - they instinctively like to run through them and it gives them a bolt-hole too, which is important for them to feel secure.

Good morning lenslady, our pipes are 9 inch diameter and plenty large enough for our Ginny who is a very elderly New Zealand Red. Heather and Rosie have both gone in one end and out the other together. They're a Dutch cross and a Lionhead cross. Being plastic they're easy to clean. Ours are about 5 ft long (we have two) and in the garden.

We have now taken of the horrible door and now using a bendable log ramp for her to get in and out, we have also made another level using cardboard and works brilliantly, she loves it :D. Thank you all for your lovely comments and advice, I really appreciate it xxx

Aww...isn't she lovely!

An 'RU Classic' toy is a loo roll filled with hay - fun for throwing around and has food!!

:wave:

More progress ;) New Cage

After being here for almost a couple of weeks now and since reading lots and lots I have decided to try the Dog Crate as Gpsys home as I wasn't having much luck with litter training and I also wanted something that I could attach the her play pen to. I set it up today :D

The pink tray is her lying area (Her decision) and we introduced the red tray today in the hope of being her toilet :D

she has lost about a foot in width but is now 8ft in length :D

Success!! She first used the litter at about 2.30pm and it has continued to be used as her toilet, yay!! Not one poop or piddle in the cage as of yet ! :D

Back