• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spam

I don't understand techy stuff but there has been millions recently hasn't there? It's been more than normal i think

I've only joined this forum a few weeks ago and I could post instantly, was good at the time, but I totally get the whole spam thing. Of course haven't seen how the forum is normally I couldn't tell if it is unusual, but there sure is a ton on each day. which is a shame as you can miss important posts by seeing too many of those spam ones.

There are so many things you can do to reduce spam, vBulletin even has an option/module where you can make a users first 5/10 posts go to a queue and a mod has to approve them.

You can also setup IP blocks for various ranges, use .htaccess to deny access etc...

We don't want to do that in case someone needs a quick reply. I don't think there is more spam than normal at the moment

i think more delay/complication in being able to register and post could delay important advice for new members :( there does seem to be a lot of spam but it's cleared up quickly so not a huge deal in my opinion

i think more delay/complication in being able to register and post could delay important advice for new members :( there does seem to be a lot of spam but it's cleared up quickly so not a huge deal in my opinion

Yes this was what we thought and no not a big deal at all

I think changing it is a bad idea. Lots of people find this forum because of their rabbit having a health crisis. If they then have to wait for a mod to come online before they can post (as mods have lives and can't always be on) it could cost a rabbit it's life. Lot's of people don't always realise how different a rabbit is to say a dog and that a rabbit refusing food can be so very dangerous.

I'd rather ignore a few spam posts than have a rabbit die needlessly.

The admin are awesome at removing spam, it always disappears quickly, plus the thread titles are so obvious, most spam hardly gets any views so i's clearly not fooling people so it's not like its an issue that wastes anybodies time (accept the mods who I have already said are awesome).

But at the top of the health section is clearly states:

Image%202015-05-02%20at%204.56.11%20PM.png

So the forum is not really the place to receive urgent medical advice.

Yes but so many people would not consider a rabbit not eating as an emergency when it is. If we can tell someone that their slightly off colour rabbits is actually very ill and save a life surely that is a good thing?

Plus that is a caveat, yes it is completely true but the forum is and probably always will be used as a free vet. have a look back through health, you will find examples!

Spam seems to come in waves - generally when we start getting a lot then I think Tamsin makes some small alterations and it seems to go back to normal levels again so it could be the questions etc on sign up need a little tweaking. I believe we've also stopped registrations from certain emails that are commonly used by spammers but, as weeble said, there are always ways around the checks so it's very hard to stop it completely without hindering the other members.

We discussed manually approving users, moderating first few posts etc in the past and took the view that, with the nature of the forum (the health section in particular), it was more important for new users to be able to post straight away. Of course, this means that other users do have to view some spam but it's often pretty easy to spot from the titles so, as a normal user, I would have either reported or ignored most of them completely whereas, as a mod, it's easy to spot them to delete them.

I know it's a bit of a pain to see but hopefully not too much of an inconvenience.

Yes but so many people would not consider a rabbit not eating as an emergency when it is. If we can tell someone that their slightly off colour rabbits is actually very ill and save a life surely that is a good thing?

Plus that is a caveat, yes it is completely true but the forum is and probably always will be used as a free vet. have a look back through health, you will find examples!

I agree with this.

Back