• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Safe hutch wood preservative...

Sparkle1

New Kit
Hi - this is my first post :)
Just brought my hutch for my new bunnies coming next week, and thinking that I should paint the wood to preserve it? Just wondering what safe products people use? Also do I just paint the outside of the hutch?
One more question - I've seen on here that a lot of you use Lino in hutches, thinking of doing the same... Any recommendations? Was thinking of just going to down to b&q - is there anything I should stay clear of? And is it a good idea to use a bit of carpet in their bedding area with hay?
Thank you - hope I haven't asked too many questions :)

Some don't though, anything or labelled LOW VOC or NO VOC (Volatile organic compound) on a water based will work.

B&Q's own brand and Ronseal both are low VOC and water based. If in doubt ask someone in store.

Once you stain give it a day or so with the buns out of it for it to dry and for the smell (if any) to dissipate.

Thank you all so much - so do I paint just outside or inside too?

Back