• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried i've fed something poisonous to Winston, please help :(

ImoT

Mama Doe
So I went foraging today and picked some things and I felt like I was bombarding this forum with forage ID posts so decided to do my own research and go with my own instincts. I fed what I thought was plantain, but Winston's reaction has panicked me. I only fed a small amount of one leaf. He was 'mouthing' it a lot (like it was really chewy or tasted bad), then he started running in circles and thumping/kicking out, and then he was getting his front paws and sort of wiping his mouth (almost like he was grooming his face). It just didn't look right and has worried me. He seems ok now and has eaten some dandelion leaf and sow thistle since.

Can anyone confirm this is plantain;
tVQWU0P.jpg

jiabeXa.jpg

Fo4Q8yk.jpg

If not I think i'll be taking a trip to the vets just in case :(

Also I think this is coltsfoot but now i'm too nervous to give it to him in case i'm wrong;
yVNkN2c.jpg

No, it isn't plantain (not as I know it, anyway) but don't know what it is. Sorry, don't know about the second one.

First one is not plantain, can't remember name of it. Don't know if it is safe or not I'm afraid, hopefully someone else will know but I would ring vets to ask advice.

No, it isn't plantain (not as I know it, anyway) but don't know what it is. Sorry, don't know about the second one.

It's definitely not plantain. Sorry, I don't know what it is. Try sending a PM to parsnipbun. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I went foraging today and picked some things and I felt like I was bombarding this forum with forage ID posts so decided to do my own research and go with my own instincts. I fed what I thought was plantain, but Winston's reaction has panicked me. I only fed a small amount of one leaf. He was 'mouthing' it a lot (like it was really chewy or tasted bad), then he started running in circles and thumping/kicking out, and then he was getting his front paws and sort of wiping his mouth (almost like he was grooming his face). It just didn't look right and has worried me. He seems ok now and has eaten some dandelion leaf and sow thistle since.

Can anyone confirm this is plantain;
tVQWU0P.jpg

jiabeXa.jpg

Fo4Q8yk.jpg

If not I think i'll be taking a trip to the vets just in case :(

Also I think this is coltsfoot but now i'm too nervous to give it to him in case i'm wrong;
yVNkN2c.jpg

No, it's not plantain.

It could be he reacted that way because it was strongly flavoured, or very bitter tasting. If he only had a tiny bit (and it sounds like he didn't like it) then I would try not to worry too much until you have more info on what it was.

Good luck xx

I've just found this link; http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/Toxic_plants_en.pdf and it says groundsel is toxic for rabbits and i've also been feeding him that from advice on here that it was safe :( I feel awful! I'll pm parsnipbun and phone the vets.

There are often grey areas where edible wild plants are concerned.

I queried bindweed with Parsnipbun, as in her book it's safe for rabbits but RWAF says it's toxic.

Parsnipbun has good experience of feeding her rabbits the plants she recommends, and great back up info. I'm sure she will reply on groundsel too and I'd be interested in the reply :thumb:

033128f489fd2fb30eb0b826f3b180d6.jpg

(From Parsnipbun's book)
So looks as though you shouldn't feed too much/often

Last edited:
No, it's not plantain.

It could be he reacted that way because it was strongly flavoured, or very bitter tasting. If he only had a tiny bit (and it sounds like he didn't like it) then I would try not to worry too much until you have more info on what it was.

Good luck xx

There are often grey areas where edible wild plants are concerned.

I queried bindweed with Parsnipbun, as in her book it's safe for rabbits but RWAF says it's toxic.

Parsnipbun has good experience of feeding her rabbits the plants she recommends, and great back up info. I'm sure she will reply on groundsel too and I'd be interested in the reply :thumb:

I've pm'd parsnipbun, fingers crossed she replies soon!

I phoned the vet, and actually got to speak to the vet rather than a receptionist. She was really good. She said that if it had been toxic he would have had a reaction by now as toxins are fairly fast acting, and because I fed a very small amount he should be fine. She said that he might have a bit of an upset tummy and said I could go and pick up some gut stimulant to get it out of him quicker but as she said it would have to be syringe fed directly into his mouth I honestly think this would just stress him out and make things worse. His emergency vet (the one I phoned) is a vet hospital so open all weekend 24 hours a day so she said if I have any concerns or if he gets worse then I can take him straight in.

I feel like an awful rabbit mother :(

033128f489fd2fb30eb0b826f3b180d6.jpg

(From Parsnipbun's book)
So looks as though you shouldn't feed too much/often

I think it might be wild arum/lords and ladies/cuckoo pint, which I don't think is good for rabbits..

Thank you!! Oh goodness I give up with this foraging lark! :(

ETA; fionaw I think you are right, that's exactly what it looks like!!

Last edited:

I phoned the vet, and actually got to speak to the vet rather than a receptionist. She was really good. She said that if it had been toxic he would have had a reaction by now as toxins are fairly fast acting, and because I fed a very small amount he should be fine. She said that he might have a bit of an upset tummy and said I could go and pick up some gut stimulant to get it out of him quicker but as she said it would have to be syringe fed directly into his mouth I honestly think this would just stress him out and make things worse. His emergency vet (the one I phoned) is a vet hospital so open all weekend 24 hours a day so she said if I have any concerns or if he gets worse then I can take him straight in.

Noooooo!!

We are all only doing our best! The fact he knew he didn't like it means he knows what's good for him, which is often the case with our lovely buns.

I think your vet is right. A tiny bit of something toxic isn't gong to harm him. Numerous times people tell me of the poisonous stuff their rabbits ate, and they've all been fine :thumb:

You are a *good* bunny Mum xx

Also from Parsnipbun's book. Is this it? If so, it's safe.

I recommend Dk Pocket Nature -
RSPB Wild Flowers

And Parsnipbun's book - Foraging for Rabbits by Twigs Way
which I only received yesterday from RWAF.

I did take pics of the covers . . . But Photobucket has stuck (as per)

Also from Parsnipbun's book. Is this it? If so, it's safe.

Unfortunately I think it's this; https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=w...eOLHMzlaJvsgbAL&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=631 Wild Arum, as posted by Fionaw, it looks like the really early stages of it. It's toxic to rabbits, but I think he will be okay. I've given him some extra treat hay to encourage him to eat his hay to get it through his system quickly.

Noooooo!!

We are all only doing our best! The fact he knew he didn't like it means he knows what's good for him, which is often the case with our lovely buns.

I think your vet is right. A tiny bit of something toxic isn't gong to harm him. Numerous times people tell me of the poisonous stuff their rabbits ate, and they've all been fine :thumb:

You are a *good* bunny Mum xx

Thank you, I really appreciate the kind words. I am trying my best!

I recommend Dk Pocket Nature -
RSPB Wild Flowers

And Parsnipbun's book - Foraging for Rabbits by Twigs Way
which I only received yesterday from RWAF.

I did take pics of the covers . . . But Photobucket has stuck (as per)

Thank you, I am certainly planning on getting the Twigs (who I believe is parsnipbun?!) book!!! Although I have been put off foraging a bit considering one thing I gave to Winston is toxic and the other (groundsel) isn't good in large quantities (which I didn't know!!). I am struggling to find things to pick which are safe/good in any quantity!

Thank you, I am certainly planning on getting the Twigs (who I believe is parsnipbun?!) book!!! Although I have been put off foraging a bit considering one thing I gave to Winston is toxic and the other (groundsel) isn't good in large quantities (which I didn't know!!). I am struggling to find things to pick which are safe/good in any quantity!

Indeed she is.
I'd recommend the other one as well - it's really interesting with excellent photographs.
Mind you, I was forever posting last year asking for help with strange plants I came across foraging at my local organic veg farm.

You're a good rabbit mother, you went foraging to make life more interesting for your rabbit - because you love and care for them :)

Back