• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox proofing an aviary

dutchbunny

Mama Doe
Ello lovelies. How can I best fox proof an aviary without using paving slabs? Our buns will so be moving into their shed outside and it will have a big 9x6ft aviary attached to that (plus free run of the whole garden if we're outside!) but we got a lot of foxes in the area so am terribly scared about my darlings getting hurt.

Personally I would always use slabs.

This was the reply to a similar thread recently:

" It depends on your setup, but for maximum fox proofing I'd do:

- place the run on slabs and if it isn't absolutely massive and heavy I'd want to secure it in place by screwing to a wall etc.
- only using very thick timber (50 x 50mm minimum) and very good mesh - 1/2 x 1/2 inch 19g or thicker, galvanised weld mesh
- double meshing... mesh the inside, then the outside. Triple meshing is an option too... I'd double mesh the inside (overlapping so that the gap is tiny) and single mesh the outside as it's easier for a predator to rip it off than push it off.
- every opening needs multiple padbolts... i.e the big thick bolts which allow you to put a padlock on. If it's only animals you're concerned about you could just used carabiner clips. Foxes can undo catches, and they can also pry a door open if they can get hold with their teeth so you'll want it secured bottom & top at least
- any openings from hutch to run or shed to aviary etc I would personally use runaround doors, even if you are not planning to use runaround tubes. The standard size is designed that a fox cannot get through and it also would be much harder to widen than just a standard hole in the wood.
- motion sensor lights, preferably with a noise!
- fence spikes (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fence-Wall-S...?tag=spikes-21)
- fox repellent... foxwatch gets good reviews (http://foxrepellentexpert.com/store/)

Of course it's probably impractical to do it all, so the minimum I'd want is slabs, strong timber/mesh, double meshing and padbolts. "

Mine have got mesh on top of earth and I will be adding earth on top of the mesh and putting some slabs in (not concreted) for extra security.

Your darlings are very lucky. Shed aviary and free range time.

I have wire mesh laid on the floor of the aviary. Grass still grows through it so not a problem for their feet and they can still have a munch :)_

Back