• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Disease Risks from Rescue Rabbit to my Buns

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
I am soo over protective with my buns. A person I know is surrendering their little 7 year old Netherland that has spent it's life in a wee 4 ft toberlerone shaped hutch / run. It will stay over night at my work - strange but it's a long story and then i will take it on Sunday to the sanctuary. I have seen pictures of the bun and he looks healthy. They did have two buns which were kept side by side in two separate toberlerone runs no contact. But the other bun passed away suddenly last week. Fine in morning eatting and then evening heavy panting and then quickly passed. I had hoped to get that we one to the sanctuary as well but it wasn't to be :( What precautions do I need to take to keep my buns at home safe from anything from the bun in my work that I will be taking to the sanctuary? ? There will be no contact. I am just worrying about my clothes and shoes. I have the pets at home disinfection spray for rabbit / small furries. Am I over reacting ?,!!!

You should be fine as long as both of yours are vaccinated and you take the precaution of not transferring direct contact between the rescue and your own - main concerns there being mites or EC.

It is good to have different clothing to see this temporary bun and your own - less for disease risk and more for your own safety! Mine get REALLY grunty with me if I smell of other animals, especially rabbits.

I am soo over protective with my buns. A person I know is surrendering their little 7 year old Netherland that has spent it's life in a wee 4 ft toberlerone shaped hutch / run. It will stay over night at my work - strange but it's a long story and then i will take it on Sunday to the sanctuary. I have seen pictures of the bun and he looks healthy. They did have two buns which were kept side by side in two separate toberlerone runs no contact. But the other bun passed away suddenly last week. Fine in morning eatting and then evening heavy panting and then quickly passed. I had hoped to get that we one to the sanctuary as well but it wasn't to be :( What precautions do I need to take to keep my buns at home safe from anything from the bun in my work that I will be taking to the sanctuary? ? There will be no contact. I am just worrying about my clothes and shoes. I have the pets at home disinfection spray for rabbit / small furries. Am I over reacting ?,!!!

When I worked in Rescue Centres for long days what I used to do was change my clothes when I got home and put the others in the wash. I would also wash down the soles of my shoes and shower. That probably sounds excessive for your requirements, but I was working with many animals that were brought in from off the streets, and although only with rabbits, in a place where there were also cats and dogs.

Also, one of my buns at home at that time couldn't be vaccinated due to health reasons, so I felt it fair on him to take all the precautions. You can never be too careful. You can, however, wish you had been more careful with hindsight!

I hope this little one finds a lovely home ...

Thanks for advise guys. I actually couldn't sleep last night worrying about this ! Will wear different clothes. Most i will be doing is lifting him into the carrier. He will be travelling about 60 miles Saturday morning. Staying overnight inside (he is an outside bun) and then i will take him another 60 miles to the sanctuary on Sunday morning. Is this too much travel for him do u think or would one straight drive be best. Just he lives miles from me.

Thanks for advise guys. I actually couldn't sleep last night worrying about this ! Will wear different clothes. Most i will be doing is lifting him into the carrier. He will be travelling about 60 miles Saturday morning. Staying overnight inside (he is an outside bun) and then i will take him another 60 miles to the sanctuary on Sunday morning. Is this too much travel for him do u think or would one straight drive be best. Just he lives miles from me.

I'm wondering if one straight drive might be best. Would that be 2 hours or so? If you can manage it, it would get it all done in one go. He won't wonder what's happening and before he knows it, he'll be there.

It's good of you to do such a long drive for the wee one xx

The sanctuary lady can't take him till Sunday and the guy that owns him starts work in my town (60 miles from his home) Saturday morning and he is working all weekend so one run is gonna be difficult. I was taking the bun the last 60 miles. I know i am worried about the stress on him. It's hard working around people's holidays and shift patterns :( and when the bun lives so far away.

The sanctuary lady can't take him till Sunday and the guy that owns him starts work in my town (60 miles from his home) Saturday morning and he is working all weekend so one run is gonna be difficult. I was taking the bun the last 60 miles. I know i am worried about the stress on him. It's hard working around people's holidays and shift patterns :( and when the bun lives so far away.

Well if there's no real alternative, go for it. It's best he goes and is looked after where he's wanted, that's the main thing. He's got a chance of a new start.

We are often overnight stop for buns going hitherthither and we dont have any precautions - our buns are vaccinated and as long as the bun thats passing through does not have any known issues and does not come into direct contact with ours we dont change clothes or anything.

Thanks Parsnip bun. That's reassured me. Yes Might max it's really the only option and i would rather get him there sooner rather than later.

Back