• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Kits not appearing

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem before. Lilly my lion-lop is 34 days pregnant. She created a nest on day 28 that is still there but no kits yet. I can still feel them moving around and she is still getting bigger. Still eating/drinking fine and still active. When should I start being concerned that they haven't come yet? Her previous litters came on day 31 and day 30. I've been giving her increased calcium but its not working

Any longer than 34 Days gestation and I would be concerned. Kits born after that time are often stillborn. I would call the Vet out (I would not attempt to transport the Doe) to obtain an opinion as to whether a C Section is necessary in order to save the Kits if the Doe does not deliver them within the next 12 hours.

I would do as J-J suggests. I would be particularly concerned if this was the doe who has already had stillborn kits.

Yes her last ones were still born. I wasnt going to breed them again and asked my vet to spay/castrate who said that a third litter would potentially be successful, especially if I waited for spring.. this is that attempt.

Yes her last ones were still born. I wasnt going to breed them again and asked my vet to spay/castrate who said that a third litter would potentially be successful, especially if I waited for spring.. this is that attempt.

I find it hard to believe that a vet would actively encourage breeding, especially if this poor girl has had issues in the past. It's not good advice at all IMO..

I would encourage you to please not try and breed her again after this.

I hope it all works out alright x

In my opinion your vet gave very bad advice: Lilly would have been much better/safer spayed: seems very unfair and risky to put her through another pregnancy.
Anyway, it is done now, so can't be undone - hope it all goes well.

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem before. Lilly my lion-lop is 34 days pregnant. She created a nest on day 28 that is still there but no kits yet. I can still feel them moving around and she is still getting bigger. Still eating/drinking fine and still active. When should I start being concerned that they haven't come yet? Her previous litters came on day 31 and day 30. I've been giving her increased calcium but its not working

I would call the vet out to your doe. It would not be wise to subject her to a vet's visit at this time. Your vet can then examine her and give best advice based on her condition. You want her to remain as healthy as possible, even if the little ones are still born.

Back