• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Australian Pet Rabbits in danger with current outbreak of myxo virus

jlbunny

New Kit
I don't know if you can help spread the word, but I'm hoping you can.

It hurts my heart to know that as things stand now, if an Australian bunny parent has an affected bunny, all they can do is help their bunny to cross the Rainbow Bridge before it can suffer the horribly painful death the virus brings. The mortality rate is 98-99%
Knowing there is a vaccine against this virus and not being able to protect their family member with it, must be an additional torture.

Here is a link to an interview with Big Ear Sanctuary, where 5 rescued meat rabbits have lost their lives to date. There is also a quarantined group at the Sanctuary where all they can do is wait to see if anybun else will be lost.

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/t...uary-at-longford/story-fnj4f7k1-1227305121147

Today I heard of another loss, this time 11 bunnies in Victor Harbor, South Australia. There's no one left at their home except the grieving bunny parent. Hard to absorb such a tremendous loss.

Here is the link to the current petition asking the Australian government to legalize the vaccine. For every signature, the minister receives an email. It is a hope that there will be too many to dismiss or ignore.

https://www.change.org/p/the-lnp-go...s-sm-share_petition-reason_msg&fb_ref=Default

Australians have been trying for twenty years to be allowed to vaccinate their companion rabbits. Perhaps this petition will succeed where the others have failed. Anyone, Worldwide, can sign this.

Thank you for your consideration of my request to help the rabbits Down Under by sharing these two links with your friends, family, veterinarians you know and anyone else you can think of.

Jane, Iowa, USA

I don't know if you can help spread the word, but I'm hoping you can.

It hurts my heart to know that as things stand now, if an Australian bunny parent has an affected bunny, all they can do is help their bunny to cross the Rainbow Bridge before it can suffer the horribly painful death the virus brings. The mortality rate is 98-99%
Knowing there is a vaccine against this virus and not being able to protect their family member with it, must be an additional torture.

Here is a link to an interview with Big Ear Sanctuary, where 5 rescued meat rabbits have lost their lives to date. There is also a quarantined group at the Sanctuary where all they can do is wait to see if anybun else will be lost.

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/t...uary-at-longford/story-fnj4f7k1-1227305121147

Today I heard of another loss, this time 11 bunnies in Victor Harbor, South Australia. There's no one left at their home except the grieving bunny parent. Hard to absorb such a tremendous loss.

Here is the link to the current petition asking the Australian government to legalize the vaccine. For every signature, the minister receives an email. It is a hope that there will be too many to dismiss or ignore.

https://www.change.org/p/the-lnp-go...s-sm-share_petition-reason_msg&fb_ref=Default

Australians have been trying for twenty years to be allowed to vaccinate their companion rabbits. Perhaps this petition will succeed where the others have failed. Anyone, Worldwide, can sign this.

Thank you for your consideration of my request to help the rabbits Down Under by sharing these two links with your friends, family, veterinarians you know and anyone else you can think of.

Jane, Iowa, USA

Signed and shared

from another Jane :)

Thankyou for thinking of us Down Under... It really is awful that pet rabbits who are desexed and well looked after have to suffer miserably from this awful disease. I also don't think it's fair that Queensland doesn't allow rabbits as pets, and those who do are faced with a large fine. Naturally, many rabbits get dumped if their owners move there, so a fantastic organisation, The Rabbit Sanctuary was established. They do fantastic work and have re-homed so many buns, so I thought I would give them a little Thumb's Up. :thumb: :)

Thanks Petra & Cleo!
An Australian friend of mine on Facebook has formed a closed group to work on getting the vaccine legalized. Someone said that if it does go through, maybe Queensland will then permit pet rabbits. Rabbits are such great companions so I hope that happens.

Thanks Petra & Cleo!
An Australian friend of mine on Facebook has formed a closed group to work on getting the vaccine legalized. Someone said that if it does go through, maybe Queensland will then permit pet rabbits. Rabbits are such great companions so I hope that happens.

Finger's crossed. It would be wonderful if rabbits were allowed as pets in Queensland.

Thank you Willow, Chewy and Obi's mum.
I wish there was more that we could do for the pets. And it seems to me that if they could find a target virus for wild rabbits that is inhumane, they could find a humane solution to the problem.

Thank you Barn Yard Bunnies. We need a lot of signatures for the petition to be taken seriously so in addition to signing the petition, we really need people to share as far and wide as each one can.

Back