• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

BUAV- Rabbits Omitted From Their Latest 'Ban Animal Testing' Campaign

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I have just received this 'First Alert' email from the RWAF and I thought I'd post it on here for anyone who does not receive 'First Alerts' or who does not belong to the RWAF

We know you'll be as shocked as we are that rabbits have been overlooked by such a great organisation as BUAV and will want them to put this right. We have a sample letter for you, but if you prefer to write your own version, then you may find the points raised helpful The message refers to a campaign here http://www.votecrueltyfree.org/ and includes a BUAV email address that you can send your response to

To: info@buav.org
Subject: Lobbying your MP
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 14:17:51 +0100

To whom it may concern,

I am a long-time supporter of the BUAV and Cruelty Free International and my household will only purchase items which are clearly marked with the internationally recognised Cruelty Free logo. As such, I follow your wonderful organisation on Twitter and regularly follow updates and sign petitions to try and eliminate animal testing forever.

However, on the 28th April 2015, you tweeted a link to the following page:
http://www.votecrueltyfree.org/, which explains why you feel people should lobby their local MP and vote for parties that will reduce or eradicate animal testing. Whilst this is indeed a noble cause and one which I feel everyone should support, I was dismayed by your prioritisation of dogs and cats as the only animals who should be spared this life of torture.

Surely you're aware that a majority of animal tests, particularly those for domestic cosmetic products, primarily involve rabbits. Rabbits are the third most common pet in the UK yet they remain the most neglected and omitting them from this list further perpetuates the belief that their lives are worth less than dogs and cats. This is no doubt highlighted by the sheer fact that the logo of Cruelty Free International, as well as other animal welfare charities, proudly display a logo of a rabbit.

I strongly believe that your text should be changed to include 'Ban experiments on ALL animals'. No animals as ours to use, as I'm sure you'll agree. Please use this opportunity to highlight the plight of all animals, not just cats and dogs.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Wait, what?! When did one life become 'more worthy' than an others'?! This is just what was brought up (again!) in (yet another) Dr Who lecture last night!

Animal testing is a seriously sketchy subject. I'm 100% against it for beauty/cosmetic tests. It's extraordinary how beauty/cosmetic treatments haven't "caught with the times" as it were.

I know people will disagree, but medically/student training is ok in my eyes. A necessary evil, as it were. (As a part of my degree, we were expected to experiment on mice (I still feel sick thinking about that)... and flies.)

Last edited:
Back