• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So upset :(

tabithakat64

Mama Doe
The RSPCA want my foster buns (Ivy & Echo) to go to another rescue centre as we've had no interest in them or the other bunnies at the branch.
They have to go tomorrow so step daughter isn't even going to get to say goodbye to them.
Sat here at my desk crying, it wouldn't have been so bad if they were going to their new forever home.
I didn't realise fostering would be so hard & it would be so hard to find them a forever home.
Am gutted, really love them

Is keeping them a realistic option for you? You obviously love them very much.

Many of us on here are failed fosterers.

OH has agreed to keep them if I really want too. I would want to add a runaround system or play house to the current set up as they are very active so would have to save for that. Time wise it's just about doable but we would need additional lighting for the winter months which OH can do easily.

I don't know what to do

If I knew I could cope with and adequately provide for two extra permanent additions, financially and otherwise, then I would go with my heart. :love:

Me too. Another failed fosterer here :) I was in the same boat as you - kept them when the rescue wanted them back. I think I'd have also found it easier if it had coincided with them going to their forever home. Luckily for me it coincided with a change in circumstances at work which meant I could take them on. I've never regretted it!

I am surprised at what the rspca are doing. Upheaval and new people will be really bad for the buns who mat start to have behavioural issues and then be even harder to rehome. It shows little understanding of buns. I would keep them and volunteer for somewhere with more understanding if you still want to foster as well.

Sounds like it could work out well to keep them then.
I would go for that and just give the fostering up for a while.

I am surprised at what the rspca are doing. Upheaval and new people will be really bad for the buns who mat start to have behavioural issues and then be even harder to rehome. It shows little understanding of buns. I would keep them and volunteer for somewhere with more understanding if you still want to foster as well.

Me too, I remember how scared they were when they came to us. The Oxfordshire branch does seem lovely and are definitely much more rabbit savvy.

Another failed fosterer here. Berry, Cherry and Apple were originally foster buns. Sadly, I only have Cherry now as Berry and Apple are at the Bridge, but I never regretted keeping them.

The only thing that is holding me back is that I feel they'd make great house rabbits as long as they had plenty of enrichment and time outside in good weather and we can't have them as house rabbits.
There are such happy little souls and Echo has just started to come out of her shell after two months with us. They love attention and love to play and maybe a family with fewer commitments would have more to offer them than us?
I just want what's best for them really :(

You obviously want the very best home for them, but do the RSPCA stipulate your own 'ideals' in their requirements for rehoming these two (house rabbits, plenty of time outside in good weather, family with few commitments etc), or do they apply more general criteria. I guess what I'm saying is that they may well end up with less than what you would ideally want for them, although still meeting standard accommodation criteria etc.

It sounds as though Ivy and Echo are very settled, very happy and have flourished in your care. It's a pity they can't speak and let you know what they'd prefer to do. ;)

Their current RSPCA advert although not exact does say what type of home I'd like them to have, but know it's not guaranteed.

Back