• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried/feeling sorry for my housemates bun

Holhol

Alpha Buck
I'm back at uni for exams this week, Ferg is safe at home with my mum (I have checked 3x a day just in case...) but now I'm worried for my housemates little rabbit.

She is probably 5 months old ish - bought on a bit of a whim despite me telling her to look into it first. I told her about diet, exercise, neutering, vaccinating etc. but not one word of it has gone in (apart from pellets not muesli)!

At the moment she's kept in the classic tiny 3ft p@h cage "only overnight" which is from 11pm-11am because my housemate can't sleep with her in the room - I've told her that she won't like it/will be unhappy/it is cruel/rabbits need LOTS of space. She bought a puppy pen on my advice as I told her it was much nicer than the 3ft cage but that is "too big for overnight" so she is only put in it during the day - that is her exercise. She doesn't get out to run around in case she wees/poos/chews - sometimes she's put on my housemates bed for a cuddle but that's it. A 3ft hutch nearly 12 hours a day and a 4ftx4ft run the rest of the day.

Her diet isn't great - she has too many pellets and I honestly don't think I've ever seen her eat hay. I've told her all about Fergs problems (dental bun not diet) and how quickly teeth grow and how important it is to eat hay. She doesn't listen - she gets hay put in when its clean out day and it is never changed. I think she's getting a bit chubby too.

She is unvaccinated despite the fact there are hundreds of myxi rabbits everywhere here - definitely in a high risk myxi place and I've seen a couple of midges floating about the house so I'm worried about that.

Not planning on spaying her as she isn't ever getting a friend.

Gets chucked over the road to her friends house if she's away for the weekend - all weekend in the 3ft cage.

Poos are very small very dark and definitely not as many as I would like Ferg to do (need to stop inspecting other peoples rabbits poo!) but she's not worried.

So altogether we have an at risk of myxi, teeny hutched, probably tooth problem developing adorable little bun with a bad mummy. I don't know what to do to help - I have told her SO many times about things, I've sent her links to the RWAF website so she can have a look. She's a lovely little thing and I've been letting her escape out of the cage in the morning for a quick run but then I have to leave her :( she's in the pen in my housemates room in the day (on her own - my housemate isn't in often) so I do sneak in and try and give her a bit of time out but it's difficult when I'm in someones bedroom.

Just want to make her life a bit better :( I'm half tempted to ask if I could have her, spay her and stick her with Ferg. Then she'd have a big bedroom to play in, a friend and an obsessive mum to check her. Just feel so awful when I see her in the teeny cage :(

Aw poor bun :( And sorry you're in a difficult situation. Everyone at uni thinks I'm mad when I say I keep free range house buns and how I care for them. Can't really offer any advice sorry but didn't want to read and run, sounds like you've tried your very best to convince her rabbits are a much more complex pet than most people assume. Would you be in a situation where you could convince her to let you take care of her,?

How heart breaking and frustrating for you. Its aweful when you can see something right under your nose like that. Perhaps she will get fed up with the rabbit and you will be able to give her a home with your lovely Fergie. It sounds like you have done all you can short of bunny napping her ...

I have thought about stealing her and pretending she's escaped haha! I'm really really hoping that she decides she doesn't want her anymore so I could have her

Wouldn't be ideal as she's unspayed and I'd have to find somewhere to keep her for 6 weeks and my mum isn't keen on anymore until I'm employed (£800 stasis bills in a month!) but I'm sure she could be convinced :)

This must be incredibly frustrating for you. Poor little bun as well :( I wonder if its worth trying another tactic. Would she be more willing to listen if you told her the average veterinary bill for treating problems/illnesses that could be avoided, ie through by making sure the bun has a good diet and plenty of exercise? Not to mention the risk of myxi. Basically appealing to her self interest.

To be honest though, I'm kind of hoping you'd be able to have her at some point instead. Sounds like she'd be a much happier and better looked after bun with you :wave:

Last edited:
Why did your friend get this bunny in the first place? Sadly it doesn't sound to me as if it is really loved, appreciated and cared for properly. Why not 'plant the seed' of you were thinking of getting Ferg a little friend and take it from there? A teensy, weensy little lie...to help this little bunny.

This must be incredibly frustrating for you. Poor little bun as well :( I wonder if its worth trying another tactic. Would she be more willing to listen if you told her the average veterinary bill for treating problems/illnesses that could be avoided, ie through by making sure the bun has a good diet and plenty of exercise? Not to mention the risk of myxi. Basically appealing to her self interest.

To be honest though, I'm kind of hoping you'd be able to have her at some point instead. Sounds like she'd be a much happier and better looked after bun with you :wave:

I tried that on Monday just as a general rabbit chat but it was just an "oh no" off her! Not sure if she ever was ill that she'd make it to the vets :(

Why did your friend get this bunny in the first place? Sadly it doesn't sound to me as if it is really loved, appreciated and cared for properly. Why not 'plant the seed' of you were thinking of getting Ferg a little friend and take it from there? A teensy, weensy little lie...to help this little bunny.

I have no idea, I think she'd had one many years ago and wanted another one after seeing some cute ones but it was definitely a quick decision.

Shes still only a cute little baby so I can't imagine how neglected she's going to be as a hormonal adult - didn't think the novelty wore off THAT quick!

That's what I'm thinking of doing this week, or offering to babysit her for a weekend at my mums house (take her home from uni) and telling her what a lovely time she had etc.

I just want to rescue her :(

Back