• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help. Binx caught by big dog :(

mokwa32

Alpha Buck
New neighbour came to tell me that binx was in her garden and her dog had him. He burrowed under the fence, my husband had inserted mesh, but one gap and he dug through. He looks in shock, wet and soggy in places. Doesn't appear to be bleeding and he leapt out of my arms into his hutch. I blocked the run, so he is in his hutch with Bell. I thought she could steady his breathing and nerves. The vets are closed. What should I do? :( it appears the dog got her mouth and teeth round him but then let him go :(

If the dog actually got her mouth round him, then I think I'd be inclined to take him to the vets. If you ring them, they should give details of their Out Of Hours service, and you could go from there? Poor Binx :(

New neighbour came to tell me that binx was in her garden and her dog had him. He burrowed under the fence, my husband had inserted mesh, but one gap and he dug through. He looks in shock, wet and soggy in places. Doesn't appear to be bleeding and he leapt out of my arms into his hutch. I blocked the run, so he is in his hutch with Bell. I thought she could steady his breathing and nerves. The vets are closed. What should I do? :( it appears the dog got her mouth and teeth round him but then let him go :(

Shock is an important factor in bunny recovery. Keep him warm and safe, and give arnica tablets every hour.
If there are signs of puncture wounds, try and get him looked at by a vet.

Otherwise, the calmer things are the sooner he will recover. Make sure he is eating and drinking.

Bless him, it sounds like he had a lucky escape thank goodness the dog let him go. I hope he recovers well (and that you're okay too)

Okay. I have him nuggets. But he wouldn't eat. Il warm his snuggle pad :( :( I'm in a tizz :(

I would cover the hutch so he is in complete darkness, give him the snuggle pad too. Then phone the Vet and, if at all possible request a home visit ASAP (ie this evening). Transporting him will do more harm than good if he is already in shock. Do not try to syringe/administer anything to him by mouth. A Rabbit in shock is highly likely to aspirate anything 'forced' into them.

If the dog had him in his mouth then a puncture wound is very likely. These can be extremely hard to detect on a fur covered animal, the wound would be small on the surface but deep. It may not bleed. Damage done below the surface can be more significant than anything visible from the exterior. So regardless of what happens this evening it will be absolutely essential that he is seen by a Vet tomorrow

I really hope he will recover xx

I rushed him to the out of hours vets :( :( he wasn't moving properly. :( she put him on the floor and he was dragging his back legs. :( :( she thinks he has a damaged spine and she said he might die through the night 😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢 she gave him pain killers and said if he makes it through the night she will x-Ray him first thing. She said it could be a broken pelvis possibly but her instinct says its his spine. 😢😢😢😢 Im in tears and I kissed him and told him I love him. I'm devestated :(

Just read this - I am sending all the vibes and prayers I can muster. Keep him warm and quiet so that his nervous system has a chance to recover.

I rushed him to the out of hours vets :( :( he wasn't moving properly. :( she put him on the floor and he was dragging his back legs. :( :( she thinks he has a damaged spine and she said he might die through the night 😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢 she gave him pain killers and said if he makes it through the night she will x-Ray him first thing. She said it could be a broken pelvis possibly but her instinct says its his spine. 😢😢😢😢 Im in tears and I kissed him and told him I love him. I'm devestated :(

I feared that this may be more serious than first thought :cry: I am so so sorry. You did exactly the right thing by taking him to a Vet. At least he will have pain relief now. I am hoping for a miracle for him and that he can pull through xx

only just seen your post glad you got to emergency vets as that's what I would of done as they get stressed, I do hope and pray your bun will be ok :cry:

Oh my goodness - poor Binx :cry:. Sending thousands of ((((((vibes)))))) that he stays comfortable throughout the night and for a positive outcome.

I feel in shock tonight. He is at the vet and I just keep thinking about him, I can't believe this Is happening it doesn't feel real. My big gentle boy who wouldn't hurt a fly. My big dopey boy who always makes us laugh with his silly ways, I can't believe this, I just can't. I just can't. 😢😢😢 have to wait a whole night to hear from the vet. A whole night. I wish I could cuddle him and stroke him and kiss him. I feel like I failed him. Even if by a miracle he lives the night either way he is injured very very bad. 😰😪😪😪 has anybody heard of a bunny damaged a pelvis? This is his best case scenario. Oh my boy, my big gentle Binx. Please please not be your spine, please 😔

Oh I'm so very sorry to hear this, what an awful shock :( Is there any way the vet can do the x-ray tonight, it may be possible to do it conscious if he's not very mobile. That way at least you would know sooner rather than later what the situation is and can make an informed decision as to the best thing to do. Horrid situation to be in, big hugs xx

I have my little children with me and my husband has just gone away to work till Friday. So I'd want to be with him if he is going to be pts, I just can't believe this is happening. I think she thinks he won't make it the night. She gave him strong pain relief and said he will feel comfortable, I hate the thought of him slipping away through the night on his own. I offered to take Belle in to be with him but the vet said no, just to let him rest 😔

Oh poor Binx, how terrifying for you and him :cry: Whatever happens, it's wonderful that he's got to have a snuggle and the reassurance of Belle before going into the vets. I'm sending you MILLIONS of vibes, I desperately hope he can recover. Come on little man xxx

Back