• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plant ID would be much appreciated

ImoT

Mama Doe
I went foraging today on my way home from work. The only plants I really feel I know are dandilions and sticky weed. All the others sort of look the same or don't look quite like the pictures so i'm just not confident enough to feed them to Winston without double checking.

I think this could be groundsel but i'm not 100% sure;
pLB0lDYh.jpg

This looks like some sort of thistle, it was basically flat on the ground. If it is safe for rabbits are the roots also safe?;
jO6vMFAh.jpg

This was also low to the ground in with some dandelions;
7Q08xiBh.jpg

This was flat on the ground;
5C3mlKWh.jpg

Thank you in advance :)

Yes definitely groundsel in first pic, and second is a thistle. Third one looks a bit like coltsfoot but the leaves are usually rounder, did you have any more?

No idea on 4 sorry!

No 1 looks like sow thistle to me. Is that the same as groundsel?

I found some the other day, but the leaves weren't prickly, so either it wasn't, or it was some other version of the Sonchus family.

I agree no 3 looks like coltsfoot. If it is I am very jealous as I want to find some!!

Yes definitely groundsel in first pic, and second is a thistle. Third one looks a bit like coltsfoot but the leaves are usually rounder, did you have any more?

No idea on 4 sorry!

I'm really glad no 1 is groundsel because I have looooads growing near me so it's good it's bunny safe :)

Are all thistles safe for rabbits?

I didn't have any more of no 3 (potential coltsfoot) because I was already carrying loads and I wasn't sure if it was bunny safe so didn't want to pick too much! Is coltsfoot bunny safe?

No 1 looks like sow thistle to me. Is that the same as groundsel?

I found some the other day, but the leaves weren't prickly, so either it wasn't, or it was some other version of the Sonchus family.

I agree no 3 looks like coltsfoot. If it is I am very jealous as I want to find some!!

I just tried googling and I think sow thistle and groundsel are different…not entirely sure though!

I googled coltsfoot and mine has pointier leaves so i'm not going to feed it to Winston until/unless someone on here can confirm it's definitely safe!!

I'm really glad no 1 is groundsel because I have looooads growing near me so it's good it's bunny safe :)

Are all thistles safe for rabbits?

I just tried googling and I think sow thistle and groundsel are different…not entirely sure though!

I googled coltsfoot and mine has pointier leaves so i'm not going to feed it to Winston until/unless someone on here can confirm it's definitely safe!!

Just looked up in Twigs' book and sow thistle and groundsel do look similar in that they have those clusters of dandelion like flowers.

I think what I have seen is groundsel - similar to sow thistle but without the thistles?

Buns can eat all sorts of prickly stuff - hawthorn, brambles, rose leaves. I don't know how they do it !!!

hi i bought a book from RWAF foraging for rabbits, it is really a great little book it cost about £3.
it has all the photo's and tells you where you will find the greens that are safe. it also will show you the not safe for rabbits, it is really worth a buy.

Just looked up in Twigs' book and sow thistle and groundsel do look similar in that they have those clusters of dandelion like flowers.

I think what I have seen is groundsel - similar to sow thistle but without the thistles?

Buns can eat all sorts of prickly stuff - hawthorn, brambles, rose leaves. I don't know how they do it !!!

Yeah I know they can eat prickly things I just wondered if some thistles are safe and some are not! to be honest I don't even know how buns manage to eat sticky weed….it's so sticky!!!!

I am planning on buying twigs book, it's just I don't yet trust that I am good enough to really know what i'm picking even with photos, I sort of need some reassurance!

The third one (like MightMax and J&R have already said) looks like Groundsel according to this poster http://www.actionforrabbits.co.uk/safe plants.html
They also do a toxic version / plants to avoid I'll see if I can find it and post it up

I think you mean first one not third one? I have seen that, I actually have both safe and toxic plants links saved in my bookmarks, it's just I don't trust myself to know 100% that what I pick is safe, apart from things that I know really well like dandelions and sticky weed!

hi i bought a book from RWAF foraging for rabbits, it is really a great little book it cost about £3.
it has all the photo's and tells you where you will find the greens that are safe. it also will show you the not safe for rabbits, it is really worth a buy.

I am planning on getting that book, it's on my list of things to do :) That and getting Tamsin's rabbit behaviour book! :)

I think you mean first one not third one? I have seen that, I actually have both safe and toxic plants links saved in my bookmarks, it's just I don't trust myself to know 100% that what I pick is safe, apart from things that I know really well like dandelions and sticky weed![/QUOTE]
Yes, my bad I meant the 1st one :thumb:

Nettles too... Mine loves nettles but he doesn't like the sting: he runs away but soon comes back! Lopsy eats the thorns off the bramble etc. twigs if he remembers so he doesn't stand on them... I'm sure that's why he has such fluffy feet: thorn defense!

Okay i've put the ragwort suspect on the compost, don't want to take any risks!! Can anyone confirm if the third one is coltsfoot, or should I put that on the compost too just in case?

I've just been drying grass in the oven, it has stunk the whole house out and was such a faff I really don't think drying boring old grass is worth it! I'll stick to weeds in the airing cupboard!

Back