• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on scab on back and bald spot please - Post Vet Update

Lorkesaurous

New Kit
Hello, I'm new to the forum and keeping rabbits.

I have two mini lop brother (Barnaby) and sister (Sky) who are 16 weeks old. They were both vaccinated over a month ago and Barnaby was castrated a few weeks ago (Sky was too small and will be 'done' in a few months) prior to adopting them. They are outdoor buns but do also have a good run around inside the house too!

Sorry in advance for being so graffic but I noticed that Barnaby has a small bald spot and yellowy/black scab on the left of his back/shoulder which looks like it's on the verge of falling off. Felt something was there the other day but it felt like stitches, however once some of the fur fell out it revealed this scab.

I've read that this can happen from injections so could it just be a reaction? Sky has been very humpy the last week so do you think she may have bit him? As I say, new to keeping rabbits and would hate for them to be in pain or unhappy. :cry:

I've hopefully included a pic of the scab below so any advice would be appreciated, thanks very much.

home

Last edited:
I would go to the vets to get it checked. It could possibly be a reaction from the vaccination that you just never noticed, it does look quite nasty to be honest.

It could also be mites, ringworm, or a bit from your other bun.

Best to get it checked out x

Thanks for your super quick reply Kermit! I've been worrying about him all night and morning but unfortunately can't get him to the vet for a couple of days but will definitely get him booked in.

Both were vaccinated before we got them so didn't notice anything before. Can a reaction continue over a month after vaccination? Like you say, it does look quite nasty and was pretty shocked and upset when I saw it last night. Poor little Barnaby Bun :cry:

I suspect that is a reaction to the antibiotic injection he would have been given when he was castrated. The antibiotic is usually 'Baytril' and this is known to cause a reaction in some Rabbits- ie 'Baytril Burn'. In some cases it can develop into a sterile abscess. I would get the Vet to take a look, it may not require any treatment and it may simply continue to heal. The fur and scab will fall off eventually. But as I have said, a Vet check is needed just to be certain that there is no active infection or a sterile abscess.

Hello, I'm new to the forum and keeping rabbits.

I have two mini lop brother (Barnaby) and sister (Sky) who are 16 weeks old. They were both vaccinated over a month ago and Barnaby was castrated a few weeks ago (Sky was too small and will be 'done' in a few months) prior to adopting them. They are outdoor buns but do also have a good run around inside the house too!

Sorry in advance for being so graffic but I noticed that Barnaby has a small bald spot and yellowy/black scab on the left of his back/shoulder which looks like it's on the verge of falling off. Felt something was there the other day but it felt like stitches, however once some of the fur fell out it revealed this scab.

I've read that this can happen from injections so could it just be a reaction? Sky has been very humpy the last week so do you think she may have bit him? As I say, new to keeping rabbits and would hate for them to be in pain or unhappy. :cry:

I've hopefully included a pic of the scab below so any advice would be appreciated, thanks very much.

home

To be honest, the most likely explanation is going to be a reaction to an injection, as you suspected.

The best thing would be for you to take him along to see the vet who castrated him, as he will remember if he gave him an injection of Baytril at that time. Baytril can be nasty stuff to a rabbit's skin sometimes and 'burns' and causes a sterile abscess at the injection site.

To me it doesn't look so much of a bite wound as what I mentioned above ....... But as I say, your vet will know for sure!

Good luck xx

Thanks Jack's-Jane and MightyMax for your replies and help. Seems to be the general concensus that it's a reaction so that's put my mind at ease a little.

Unfortunately I don't know the vet who castrated him or who gave vaccinations as we adopted them a few weeks after it was done but Baytril does sound like it can create a nasty reaction. I will get him booked into the vet this week but if does turn out to be a sterile abscess and require treatment, any idea what sort of thing it would likely be? Just some cream or something until it goes?

Glad it doesn't look like a bite, especially as they are so close and loving to eachother (after lots of humping mainly from Sky).

Thanks very much for your replies and advice. Hopefully stop me researching and worrying while at work about some nasty things that it could be.

If there is an abscess then you will probably get more antibiotics and the vet should clean it out initially, then you would have to clean it out at least once a day. We can help with advice on that once you know what you are dealing with :) Just give us a wee update when you get back from the vets, there are loads of pretty knowledgeable folk on here.

I can manage antibiotics and cleaning so that's fine if he does require treatment! :) Will certainly give you an update on the verdict and how he's doing when he's back from the vets in a few days and will no doubt be picking brains for more advice too. Thanks very much for your help.

Thanks Jack's-Jane and MightyMax for your replies and help. Seems to be the general concensus that it's a reaction so that's put my mind at ease a little.

Unfortunately I don't know the vet who castrated him or who gave vaccinations as we adopted them a few weeks after it was done but Baytril does sound like it can create a nasty reaction. I will get him booked into the vet this week but if does turn out to be a sterile abscess and require treatment, any idea what sort of thing it would likely be? Just some cream or something until it goes?

Glad it doesn't look like a bite, especially as they are so close and loving to eachother (after lots of humping mainly from Sky).

Thanks very much for your replies and advice. Hopefully stop me researching and worrying while at work about some nasty things that it could be.

A sterile abscess usually requires surgical removal. Antibiotics will not help because the abscess is sterile-ie they do not contain bacteria. Some may resolve over a period of time, but they may become hard solid lumps. They do not contain pus.

It's impossible to tell for certain from a photo, but I suspect your Rabbit 'just' has a nasty Baytril burn. These can be quite extensive, causing an large 'crater'. They usually heal under the scab, but it can take several weeks. They tend not to be painful, just maybe a bit itchy at times. Generally the only 'treatment' needed is to keep a close eye on it all to make sure it remains clean and dry and that the surrounding skin does not become red/hot/inflamed. If you start putting lotions and potions on it it can further irritate the area. It can also draw the Rabbit's attention to the wound meaning the Rabbit will keep licking and biting at it.

If it's a sterile abscess it should go away on it's own in time. You don't need antibiotics. It would be good to confirm with the vet that this is what it is!

If it causes problems over time, or your rabbit picks at it, then the vet may think about surgery to remove it. It can become a hard lump in some cases.

However, keep a close eye on it, and certainly talk with the vet about it if you're at all concerned, or it changes in any way

Oh dear, surgery! Here's hoping it wont result in that and fingers crossed it will heal on it's own. Poor little bun :( I love them both already and only had them a few weeks so wouldn't like to see them go through anything like that if it can be helped. The idea was to start a health plan and insurance in the next few months when Sky goes in to be spayed but may need to think about getting it all arranged sooner if there is even the slightest possibility that Barnaby may need surgery/treatment already. Sorry for going off subject but do you think the annual health plans are a good idea or better to just pay as you go with vaccinations, boosters etc? And if he had a reaction from an initial vaccination, is it likely to happen with boosters too?

Oh dear, surgery! Here's hoping it wont result in that and fingers crossed it will heal on it's own. Poor little bun :( I love them both already and only had them a few weeks so wouldn't like to see them go through anything like that if it can be helped. The idea was to start a health plan and insurance in the next few months when Sky goes in to be spayed but may need to think about getting it all arranged sooner if there is even the slightest possibility that Barnaby may need surgery/treatment already. Sorry for going off subject but do you think the annual health plans are a good idea or better to just pay as you go with vaccinations, boosters etc? And if he had a reaction from an initial vaccination, is it likely to happen with boosters too?

Do you mean the annual health plans from your Vet ? How good a value they may be would depend on what is included in the deal ?

As to weather a skin reaction to an injection/vaccination would happen again, some Rabbits do seem to be more prone to them, but it is not inevitable that it will happen again. As long as every measure is taken to minimise the risk- new needle to give the injection from the needle used to draw up the dose, making sure the dose goes subcutaneously and not intradermally and massaging the injection site for a couple of minutes after giving the dose to insure that it is well dispersed then there may be no skin reaction at all next time :)

I think if you're going to insure your buns, do it sooner rather than later. You never know what will happen!

I don't know about a health plan. If my vet's does them then they haven't mentioned them to me ...

I wouldn't worry that because your bun has had a reaction to Baytril on one occasion that it necessarily will happen again. Just bad luck. But maybe an omen to think about getting insurance then you'd be covered :thumb:

Yes I meant the annual health plans from the vet which include vaccination booster, two annual check ups, some treatments such as worming/mites, discounts for neutering etc. I've noticed that P@H do a couple of health plans too, there is a one off payment which includes all boosters and 2 health checks per year for lifetime of the pet and another which is an annual payment and has various things included too. So have been trying to get my head around if a plan through the vet/P@H is a good idea, if at all.

Will be sorting out insurance for both buns regardless asap, and as you say Max, maybe a sign to get covered sooner!

Thanks again Max and Jane for your advice, especially as I've been so worried and clearly getting paranoid it's going to happen again when his booster comes around. :(

Will keep an eye on Barnaby and update after a visit to the vet in a couple of days. :)

Yes I meant the annual health plans from the vet which include vaccination booster, two annual check ups, some treatments such as worming/mites, discounts for neutering etc. I've noticed that P@H do a couple of health plans too, there is a one off payment which includes all boosters and 2 health checks per year for lifetime of the pet and another which is an annual payment and has various things included too. So have been trying to get my head around if a plan through the vet/P@H is a good idea, if at all.

Will be sorting out insurance for both buns regardless asap, and as you say Max, maybe a sign to get covered sooner!

Thanks again Max and Jane for your advice, especially as I've been so worried and clearly getting paranoid it's going to happen again when his booster comes around. :(

Will keep an eye on Barnaby and update after a visit to the vet in a couple of days. :)

Personally I would have nothing to do with Pets at Home, or do you mean the chain of Vet surgeries located in some of their stores-ie 'Companion Care Vets' ? CC are not the same company as P@H.

My Vet does a health plan for Rabbits (and dogs/cats) which I would definitely take up if I had the need to. But I dont, for reasons I wont be going into on a public forum but it has nothing to do with the Plan not being good value xx

:thumb:

I would shop around for the best value that suits you. The P@H plans are also worth considering. It's a bit of a minefield choosing the best, but you might find some threads on here where members have told of their various experiences.

From what you've said, it would appear it's likely *not* to be the vaccination that caused the skin reaction, but an injection of Baytril (antibiotic). Although skin reactions can occur after a rabbit is vaccinated, it's not often they look like the one you presented.

So all in all, don't worry! Prepare yourself in advance by whatever means you find comfortable (and that your purse finds comfortable too!) and sit back and enjoy your rabbits :D

Last edited:
Sorry yes I meant the vet surgeries in some of the P@H stores, not directly through them! Vets4Pets is the one I've been researching.

I think we will probably end up with a health plan rather than just the vaccination booster plan as seems like it may save money in the long run and may be worthwhile.

Will be arranging everything possible now after this scare! lol.

Hi everyone, thought I'd give a quick update on how little Barnaby is doing afer his visit to the vets.

The vet was unsure what had caused the scab to appear on him but suggested that it could've been due to a bite from Sky or scratching. He did develop another sore next to the scab but think it may have been due to scratching. She then picked off the scab (Gross) and gave us some steroid cream to apply everyday. We took him in on Thursday and the sore has settled down alot in 5 days so hopefully that should do the trick and his fur will start growing back properly. Both buns were checked over and are all fine and dandy. Appears Sky is ready for her Spay so have another vet visit this week which will also give Barnaby a break from being chased!

Also signed them both up for the vets health plan which includes boosters and treatments etc. So feel alot less worried about them now...until Friday when Sky has her op.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice and calmed me down - It was a massive help!

Back