• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Rabbits Webinar Presented by Molly Varga

Had to 'walk out'

I am sorry, but putting the Rabbits in a carrier on top of a washing machine for 'stress bonding'.................

I hate, hate, hate 'stress bonding'

Off to bed now, disappointed and angry

Yes it was somewhat of a surprise to hear it being mentioned! Ok she wasn't particularly advocating it but even so, I think there's a world of difference between bunnies in a carrier on a car ride and putting them on top of a washing machine!!

The session was based around slow bonding - have them in pens next to each other until you see positive behaviours like lying next to each other, trying to groom through the wires etc, and then putting them in a neutral territory with lots of environmental enrichment including single bunny sized hidey holes (1 per bun plus one extra) and ending the bonding session at the first sign of any negative behaviour).

There was one slide however where she mentioned the concept of 'stress bonding' and explained that this involved deliberately putting the bunnies in a stressful situation such as a car ride or on washing machine in order to get them to take comfort in each other. To be fair to her she did say that this obviously raises ethical issues because you're deliberately frightening them to achieve a long term aim, I just hope it doesn't make anyone think they'll give that a go! With the advent of fitted kitchens, there probably aren't all that many people these days who have a washing machine which you can put a carrier on top of, they're mostly stuck underneath work surfaces!

Thanks for explaining. I do think that with the busy lives people have now slow bonding is becoming more popular.

I am actually shocked that the idea of 'stress bonding' was even raised. Never in a million years would I subject a Rabbit in my care to that. I am sorry, but I may only be no more than a Pet Rabbit owner and not a highly qualified Exotics Vet but IMO the idea of 'stress bonding' is cruel. Yes, that is an emotive word, but right now I am feeling so damn cross its the mildest word I can think of.

Good grief :shock: I can't believe that anyone would want to use sheer fear as a tool for bonding. :(

I wasn't able to attend this webinar, glad I didn't.

I found most of it really interesting. However I was really upset that stress bonding was mentioned. The fact that a highly respected rabbity vet puts it out there is a real worry. I mentioned it on the facebook page (pet webinars facebook page).

She also said to intervene at the first signs of mounting, chasing or fur pulling ... surely some of this has to happen in order to establish a hierarchy???

Also (...) she mentioned putting rabbits side by side to get used to each other and once they are laying down and eating at the same time then they can be introduced onto neutral territory. I was under the impression that behaviours shown when side by side did not necessarity reflect what the rabbits would be like when put together.

No mention was made of the 'put em in and watch like ten hawks' method of bonding.

I found most of it really interesting. However I was really upset that stress bonding was mentioned. The fact that a highly respected rabbity vet puts it out there is a real worry. I mentioned it on the facebook page (pet webinars facebook page).

She also said to intervene at the first signs of mounting, chasing or fur pulling ... surely some of this has to happen in order to establish a hierarchy???

Also (...) she mentioned putting rabbits side by side to get used to each other and once they are laying down and eating at the same time then they can be introduced onto neutral territory. I was under the impression that behaviours shown when side by side did not necessarity reflect what the rabbits would be like when put together.

No mention was made of the 'put em in and watch like ten hawks' method of bonding.

Did anyone comment on what you posted on the FB page ?

I completely agree with you about not being able to judge how two Rabbits will react based on how they behave with a wire fence/cage bars between them.

Also, some mounting and chasing is perfectly normal, if we intervene at the very first sign of either then we interfere with part of the bonding process. At least that is what I believe to be the case.

Glad I didn't watch it then, as a bonding wuss I think I probably would have been more confused and 'wussy' than I was before :oops:

Did anyone comment on what you posted on the FB page ?

I completely agree with you about not being able to judge how two Rabbits will react based on how they behave with a wire fence/cage bars between them.

Also, some mounting and chasing is perfectly normal, if we intervene at the very first sign of either then we interfere with part of the bonding process. At least that is what I believe to be the case.

No. No comments at all ...

Edit to say that Molly has now responded;

Molly Varga Hi Judith, I don't disagree and I hope I made it clear that stress bonding definitely reduces welfare at the time. Obviously this presents ethical concerns. My feeling is that done once, for a short (15-20 minutes max) period to gain maybe 5-8 years of bond then maybe...... I guess I'm kind of looking at it in a similar way to say stress of neutering: short term for a long pay off. But I think this is an interesting discussion and welcome feedback. Here in the uk unbounded single rabbits often last less than 3 months in their first home, so I am very pro bonding because this leads to more permanent homes. We have 65-67,000 rabbits needing a home here and so I'm very much aligned to getting these guys homed I don't think you are wrong!

I also mentioned the quick bonding method and Molly's response was;

Hi Judith I like the quick method but it's for people who are more experienced if you've got a quad that's working then that's clearly you!!

Very flattering to be considered 'more experienced' but it was the idea that the quick method is valuable that I wanted to get across. Hey ho.

Last edited:
Bumping this up so that you can see Molly's response to my comment re; stress bonding.

Bumping this up so that you can see Molly's response to my comment re; stress bonding.

Thanks for posting the update. I am afraid I completely disagree with Molly's analogy of stress bonding being likened to the stress of neutering in terms of 'short term stress for longterm gain'. Hardly in the same ball park IMO (no pun intended re 'balls'!!). Stress bonding is unkind and unnecessary.

But what do I know :)

I'm with you Jane, I don't believe you can compare the stress of a routine surgical procedure to that of inducing fear by 'stress bonding'. I find the whole idea upsetting. I can quite imagine some rabbits actually dying of shock. :(

Back