• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

French Lops

k1984

Mama Doe
I have two french lops, who are approximately 3 years old. I've had Dolly since she was 8 weeks old, and Clive since he was 8 months old.

I absolutely adore french lops and have kept them for many years now (as well as other breeds too over the years...I also have a 7 year old netherland dwarf house rabbit...very different to the frenchies!).

I've seen lots of threads on here whilst browsing, and had lots of conversations with family, friends and even delivery men/postmen/women, who are always drawn to the frenchies because they are just so different to anything they have ever seen before...and in reality, they really are. Owning a french lop (or a giant breed in general) really does bring with it a different way of rabbit keeping. Lots are positives (which is why they have a very special place in my heart)....but also lots of negatives...which for any prospective owner of a giant breed like frenchies, you have to take into account (and which is always missed in general 'rabbit care' books).

Here are the experiences I have found over the years of keeping frenchies...and in particular my current two:

Their temperaments are unique. Often described as the 'teddys of the rabbit world'....certainly not in the cuddly sense. I've only had one french lop that was happy to be held. The others, including my current two, much prefer their feet on the floor. That said, they are constantly around you. If I'm ever on the patio (for which they have free range when I'm home), I am practically falling over them. They literally follow me around.
Clive is a real grunt-grump. He will grunt and each and every thing....but will follow me around out of sheer nosiness at any opportunity he gets.
Dolly is too inquisitive...but primarily wants the nose rubs!
French lops are very intelligent.

Every physical feature that is adorable on a rabbit, they have in 'giant' version. :love: They have the widest noses I've ever seen in my life....which completely melts my heart! :love:
They also have very short....tree-trunk legs. Infact, everything about them is solid and big! Their back feet are so big that you could easily buy children's shoes to fit them (not that I ever would of course!).

Keeping french lops is expensive. Operations at the vets cost more ....housing has to be purpose built (there is nothing on the market that you can just buy and use without having to adapt it...at extra expense....or just have specially designed from scratch which is what I did).
Space is so important. French lops need a lot of space...both in their housing and exercise area. Considering their size....they do like to run FAST (and binky...which is sooooo funny with their size!).
Food....gone are the days of buying the small pet shop bags of pellets and hay...hello to bales and sacks!
Cleaning out....frenchies produce lots of waste. Cleaning out isn't a quick job (especially as they want to nosey at what you're doing so are in your way all the time! :roll::lol: ). Weekly tip runs have to be added into the rabbit care regime.
Transporting them anywhere is a nightmare. Firstly the expense at having to purchase robust and the largest carry boxes you can get (I have used a couple of dog crates in the past too ). It's a full military procedure of trying to catch a giant rabbit (who isn't the lightest thing in the world....and who hates being held, so will kick out with HUGE and powerful back feet!)...and then negotiate them into a carry box. Cue lots of stomps at their disapproval at inconveniencing them with this!
Consider this when trying to administer medication! What a nightmare!

When going away and looking for boarding, bear in mind that not many 'small animal boarding' services can comfortably accommodate french lops....let alone a bonded pair. We struggled so much to find anywhere near us that was suitable, so in the end we were lucky that the cattery where our cat goes (who also have small animals) were happy to accommodate them in one of their cat pens (shed with attached run). I did worry for the duration of our holiday though that I'd come back to an expensive bill of damage from a chewed up cat pen. They'd just had them installed and were beautiful buildings! :shock:

Damage. Think about the amount of damage a french lop can cause. I only have one frenchie (Clive) with chewing teeth (Dolly has no incisors)....but I'm still finding chew damage daily (this is despite me knowing the culprit, and carefully monitoring him..Clive!...and in a second of my back turned and one mouthful...he can produce the damage that would take an average rabbit a few days to produce). Something I'm sure he's very proud of, but I have taken to lying to my husband about, therefore I'm also part of the crime :(:lol: . French lops can cause marital issues! :lol:

Why have i decided to write this very long post today? Well, I've been sitting in the garden with them and just thinking all this through. Like I said at the start....my frenchies often get me into conversations with various people....and I often see threads on here regarding them so I thought for those people who have always wanted a french lop (or giant breed)....or for those of us who already have one....I'm sure theres something here that you might assimilate with or find interesting!

Just my personal experiences anyhow! French lops are a pain and a nightmare to keep. Would I be without them?....absolutely no way :love::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
I have found they eat a disproportionate amount. Mack is about twice the size of the girls but eats probably 10x the amount of pellets that they do between them.
Eli once shredded one of my shirts and left claw marks all over my torso when I tried to pick him up :shock:

Aside from that I haven't found them more trouble. We have people come and check the animals when we're away, and they're all trained to go in to the (dog) carrier on their own :D
I wouldn't want to be without a giant breed now. I love my small girls but giants are almost like another animal entirely, there's just something about them.:love:

I've just got my first French lop and they are definitely different than any other rabbit. I don't know if it's just mine but she completely craves attention and behaves more like a cheeky friendly puppy than a rabbit!

I agree with everything on this post. My Frenchie was exactly as you describe Clive....

My Conti isn't that much different in some ways either....

Naughty, but the sort of naughty that is forgiven before you are even cross... :love:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back