• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ec hutch bleaching

beki

Mama Doe
I am getting so paranoid about all of this, particularly with Bertie's lens rupturing again. I bleached the hutch but not on the advised days. I bleached all the areas where he wees, more attention to the bottom floor as he sprays wee up the walls!! And I threw away the old litter tray and replaced with a brand new one. I am not sure if it was 10% bleach as I ran out of bleach half way through the cleaning!! Also I totally forgot to bleach the run and the patio. I am so worried about reinfection though apart from Bertie's eye causing trouble again, ruby seems perfectly fine and hopefully has not been infected.

Should I throughly bleach everything again or do you think I will be ok? The more I read about ec the more worried about it I become!!!

The vet said as I have done the 28 days of lapizole I shouldn't need to continue even though Bertie's eye is bad again

Could you ask your OH to do one more bleach clean for you. More for your own peace of mind than anything else. You dont really want to be doing too much with baby on board !! Tell your OH if he does the bleach clean he can be let off doing the really smelly nappy changes when baby arrives :D

Good idea Jane, thank you.

I think I am just being overly worried. For so Long I have had healthy pets and lately I have had more vet trips in the last couple of months than I have had over my current pets lifetimes! I suppose I have just been lucky so far up until now, I am worried about the ec and it causing more problems.

Good idea Jane, thank you.

I think I am just being overly worried. For so Long I have had healthy pets and lately I have had more vet trips in the last couple of months than I have had over my current pets lifetimes! I suppose I have just been lucky so far up until now, I am worried about the ec and it causing more problems.

I can understand you being worried, particularly with a little one on the way. You probably didn't need to bleach again, but it can't do any harm (so long as you don't inhale too many bleach fumes!).

Back