• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Honey has her spay on wed, 29th

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

Well Honey is booked in for her spay on Wednesday, 29th! Eek.. As you can probably imagine, I am one very very worried mummy! :(

Her little urine infection seems to have cleared up thankfully, but when she is under they are looking to file down one of her bottom teeth as she is still only eating soaked pellets.

After everything with Harvey, I am already so worried and would really appreciate any spare good luck vibes anyone may have. I have read up, but again can anyone give me a rough idea of what to expect. If she isn't eating that night, will she need critical care? As I have given her this previously and very oddly she doesn't like it at all!

Thanks so much xx

I've only had Mr Higgins neutered so can't give you any advice on having your girly done. I'm sure someone with some excellent advice will be along shortly. Just wanted to wish you and your young lady good luck. I'm sure she'll be fine.

Hi Ruth :wave: I can really empathise with you, Scrappy is having her spay next month and I'm already worrying about it. Must be even worse for you after that awful experience you had with Harvey :( Like Honey she'll be having her teeth burred while she's under the GA. My main worry is making sure she eats afterwards. Last time she had her teeth burred she was very reluctant to eat for a couple of days afterwards because her mouth was sore. And that's on top of having a big op :(

I'm planning on stocking up on some critical care. On other threads I've seen that people sometimes mix it with Ella's Kitchen baby food to make it more palatable so I'll be getting that as well.

I found it useful to have a good long chat with my vet about the procedure just so I knew what to expect and how best to look after her afterwards, and that would include making sure she is given adequate pain relief.

Sending loads of vibes for you and Honey :wave: xx

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Well Honey is booked in for her spay on Wednesday, 29th! Eek.. As you can probably imagine, I am one very very worried mummy! :(

Her little urine infection seems to have cleared up thankfully, but when she is under they are looking to file down one of her bottom teeth as she is still only eating soaked pellets.

After everything with Harvey, I am already so worried and would really appreciate any spare good luck vibes anyone may have. I have read up, but again can anyone give me a rough idea of what to expect. If she isn't eating that night, will she need critical care? As I have given her this previously and very oddly she doesn't like it at all!

Thanks so much xx

I was worried about Flo when she had her spay 3 weeks ago. Flo didn't eat after hers - but at the vets they always syringe feed before sending a bunny home after an op/dental so she had some food. She wasn't eating still by the morning so I went to vet and got some medications and critical care food and then started syringe feeding. Trust me, most rabbits hate it!!

I would ask them if they syringe feed after the op firstly - hopefully they should do :) You can then wait until the following morning to see if she will eat. If she hasn't eaten much by then I would go to the vet that morning.

Hope this helps!

Hi Ruth :wave: I can really empathise with you, Scrappy is having her spay next month and I'm already worrying about it. Must be even worse for you after that awful experience you had with Harvey :( Like Honey she'll be having her teeth burred while she's under the GA. My main worry is making sure she eats afterwards. Last time she had her teeth burred she was very reluctant to eat for a couple of days afterwards because her mouth was sore. And that's on top of having a big op :(

I'm planning on stocking up on some critical care. On other threads I've seen that people sometimes mix it with Ella's Kitchen baby food to make it more palatable so I'll be getting that as well.

I found it useful to have a good long chat with my vet about the procedure just so I knew what to expect and how best to look after her afterwards, and that would include making sure she is given adequate pain relief.

Sending loads of vibes for you and Honey :wave: xx

Thanks so much!

I really am bricking it, she is such a nervous bun at the best of times, and is so close with me. Even when people come round, instead of running off and hiding somewhere she will come and sit between my feet and seriously is as bad as Harvey for following me. She has only got to hear the lawn mower or the microwave ping and she stamps her feet and hides or comes to find me.

Thanks so much, that’s brilliant! yes I’ll be sure to get her some, as she really is a picky bun. I am already going to do her a little goody bag of redigrass and coriander to take to the vets.

Well I have spoken to the vets, but I swear they think I am just being over the top. I have checked, and yes she will be given adequate pain relief, and have told me if she doesn’t eat anything or poo in the first 12 hours after.. they will want me to take her back in. (so I really do have my fingers crossed!)

Oh god.. so is burring their teeth quite painful for them?

I am taking both her and Harvey in for 10.30am, they will check Harvey’s eyes.. as he has still got his little cloudy patches and then they will give honey a final check over and weigh her. If everything is okay, they will be taking her in and hopefully operate on her within the next hour so she isn’t stuck waiting around too long and getting worked up.

Thank you so so much, and Aww.. sending lots and lots of good luck wishes to scrappy for next month, bless her!

And thanks everyone else for your comments. I swear she knows whats coming as over the last couple of days she has been really affectionate which is no way Honey. Normally she is one cheeky madam.. xxx

Thanks so much!

I really am bricking it, she is such a nervous bun at the best of times, and is so close with me. Even when people come round, instead of running off and hiding somewhere she will come and sit between my feet and seriously is as bad as Harvey for following me. She has only got to hear the lawn mower or the microwave ping and she stamps her feet and hides or comes to find me.

Thanks so much, that’s brilliant! yes I’ll be sure to get her some, as she really is a picky bun. I am already going to do her a little goody bag of redigrass and coriander to take to the vets.

Well I have spoken to the vets, but I swear they think I am just being over the top. I have checked, and yes she will be given adequate pain relief, and have told me if she doesn’t eat anything or poo in the first 12 hours after.. they will want me to take her back in. (so I really do have my fingers crossed!)

Oh god.. so is burring their teeth quite painful for them?

I am taking both her and Harvey in for 10.30am, they will check Harvey’s eyes.. as he has still got his little cloudy patches and then they will give honey a final check over and weigh her. If everything is okay, they will be taking her in and hopefully operate on her within the next hour so she isn’t stuck waiting around too long and getting worked up.

Thank you so so much, and Aww.. sending lots and lots of good luck wishes to scrappy for next month, bless her!

And thanks everyone else for your comments. I swear she knows whats coming as over the last couple of days she has been really affectionate which is no way Honey. Normally she is one cheeky madam.. xxx

No, burring the teeth shouldn't be too bad, and given that she will be on pain relief anyway because of the spay, she should be covered if she has any residual discomfort.

It sounds like Honey is so close to you that she picks up your vibe ... You will have to try and keep calm between now and Spay Day (is that possible? :lol: ) so she goes in like a serene little Madam!

I see no harm in making sure your vet knows how precious she is to you. That way they will be *extra* careful and do everything right :thumb:

Good luck with Honey's spay! I was awfully worried when Amy went for hers, but I did my best to be busy and not think about it. A goody bag is a great idea; include some of her pellets and hay, and maybe a favourite treat or two. Don't panic if she's not eating right away; Amy was very quiet and groggy after hers, took ages to stop just sitting hunched in her cage feeling sorry for herself. Her first poo after was also quite soft and wet, but then she started doing small, mostly normal ones. I also had critical care, but ended up not needing it. She will not feel like herself for a while, so just try and keep things quiet and calm for her. As hard as it will be not to fuss, it might be best to keep an eye on her, but mostly leave her alone. And keep an eye on her stitches; Amy had dissolvable ones, and she still managed to tear some of them out, the little beggar.

No, burring the teeth shouldn't be too bad, and given that she will be on pain relief anyway because of the spay, she should be covered if she has any residual discomfort.

It sounds like Honey is so close to you that she picks up your vibe ... You will have to try and keep calm between now and Spay Day (is that possible? :lol: ) so she goes in like a serene little Madam!

I see no harm in making sure your vet knows how precious she is to you. That way they will be *extra* careful and do everything right :thumb:

Hi again :wave: Just to clarify, as MightyMax has said, the burring itself shouldn't be too bad. My understanding is that during the procedure they may have to keep the mouth open quite wide and that can cause a bit of discomfort afterwards. When Scrappy last had it done she seemed to struggle eating her pellets and she usually gobbles them down in about 5 seconds flat :lol: That only lasted a couple of days, and again as MightyMax said, the pain relief they'll give for the spay should deal with any discomfort she may have. Just wanted to give you a heads up in case Honey does struggle with certain foods. I really hope I haven't given you more to worry about :(

Hi everyone, thanks so much!

Well they thought it looked a little sharp but will check all her mouth today, just hope it's not too bad for her.

This morning she seems bright and cheeky, she will have her normal pellets and I'll give her some fresh herbs too, so hopefully she'll have plenty of food in her.

I have already got some critical care and brought some Ella's kitchen to put in with it! Plus a huge selection of herbs to try & tempt her tonight!

Well her and Harvey have just had their usual grooming session and it'll be off to the vets for 10.30am.

I know these are routine ops, and I'm sorry if I sound over the top but I am just so terrified for her, as I know she's going to be a terrible patient & just want everything to be okay. Any spare vibes would be really appreciated!

Thanks, very worried mummy xxx

Thanks guys!!

Well the vets have just called me, they have cancelled honeys spay!!!

They have very recently had lots of cases of VHD and even seen a new strain in rabbits already vaccinated. so after an emergency meeting this morning, they are not seeing any rabbits unless it is an emergency! So honey has been cancelled until they can update me next week.

Don't get me wrong after pumping myself up & preparing everything, I am slightly annoyed, but can understand and of course would rather them to be confident.

So looks like I have the remainder of the week off to spend some quality time with my buns xx

Thanks guys!!

Well the vets have just called me, they have cancelled honeys spay!!!

They have very recently had lots of cases of VHD and even seen a new strain in rabbits already vaccinated. so after an emergency meeting this morning, they are not seeing any rabbits unless it is an emergency! So honey has been cancelled until they can update me next week.

Don't get me wrong after pumping myself up & preparing everything, I am slightly annoyed, but can understand and of course would rather them to be confident.

So looks like I have the remainder of the week off to spend some quality time with my buns xx

Well ... everything happens for a reason! It's obviously the best solution given their rabbit crisis. We will wish Honey another wheelbarrow load of good luck when her turn finally comes :wave:

Eeeeeeekkk honey is going for her spay tomorrow!!!! :(

I'm a very worried mummy.. And any spare vibes are really really appreciated xxx

Ah good luck. Your vets sound very competent.

I remember picking Doughnut up in the evening and they said to restrict where she could run about and the first thing she did was jump up on a shelf! I put her in her hutch overnight so she didn't do herself any damage. Then I have to give her her meds first thing in the morning. She hadn't really eaten a lot but by 11 am when I was thinking of taking her back to the vets she started eating. You'll probably get given metacam, yum, fibreplex yum and baytril yuk! I had to put these on crumbled up weetabix to get her to take them as was no good at syringe feeding and didn't want a struggle.

Rabbits go off of their pellets for the first few days. Just get lots of fresh herbs in and grass if you have a garden and your rabbit it used to it. I also bought alfalfa hay to tempt her. They just seem to like fresh stuff when they're poorly.

Let us know how you get on. I remember sitting by the phone it's awful but try and keep busy!

Thanks so much everyone, really appreciate your vibes and advice!!! :)

Well honey has recently become a free ranging house bun in our lounge and loves nothing more than sitting on our windowsill, so I have found her cage out which I was going to put her in for the first couple of nights & see how she goes. Awwww bless her and thanks so much. Well my two are very much spoilt and have fresh herbs daily instead of veg, and she loves them.. So I have stocked up & also got some Ella's kitchen in too!

I've got her towels ready, and a snuggle pad too. being honest my main worry is picking her up to check her wound and to obviously let her out of the cage? as I know this will drive her mad! I can do the towel burreto no okay, but I'm really worried about hurting her.

She is having internal stitches, but do you know if she can she still pull these out? Oh and shall I keep her litter tray with her, or leave this out?

Sorry for all the questions but really appreciate it xxxx

Back