• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

kinda worried

ted1

Young Bun
hi my rabbit Sandy was at the vets yesterday ...was treated under anesthetic for a chronic ear condition,and also tear ducts flushed..she was let home last night..today she hasnt eaten anything that I can see although there are small pellets where she has been to the tiolet...she will accept nothing including treats.....on top of that she runs away any time we go near her..also got to give her meds orally....really worried abouther especially after my last rabbit passing on..any help tips hints would be appreciated ..thank you

Poor Sandy :cry: If she is not eating at all she will need to be syringe fed. A Rabbit cannot go for very long without food as their GI tract needs a constant intake to keep it functioning. I hope the Vet has prescribed good pain relief, ear problems can be extremely painful and a Rabbit in pain will not eat. If you are not able to syringe feed her or get her medication into her it might be a good idea to have her re-admitted to the Vets for a few days.

I would give the Vets a call now and ask their advice x

thanks for that Jacks Jane..she is prescribed Loxicom and Baytril for her..its going to be fun to try and get it into her..if she is no better by morning or cannot get meds int her then will get to the vets in the morning

thanks for that Jacks Jane..she is prescribed Loxicom and Baytril for her..its going to be fun to try and get it into her..if she is no better by morning or cannot get meds int her then will get to the vets in the morning

Have you called the Vet ? It's just that if Sandy has not eaten all day it really is absolutely essential that she is re-examined and supportive feeds are given. She cannot wait until the morning if she has no food input at all.

I second Jacks Jane, it is very important that rabbits eat. If they do not eat then they can become very ill and go into a condition called ileus (gut stasis). This can happen very quickly, even after a day. So best idea would be to syringe feed Sandy 'Critical care formula' for herbivores which you can get from your vet. Give them a call for some advice.

just managed to get medication into Sandy via syringe...not as bad as I thought!!she has also just eaten a little bit of hay

hiya mighty max.....thank you ...just been out to see her now...definitely eating hay...wont touch any of her food in the bowl,but she has just taken some hay and a sprig of parsley from me....also checked ..yes she has been to the toilet too..so fingers crossed

hiya mighty max.....thank you ...just been out to see her now...definitely eating hay...wont touch any of her food in the bowl,but she has just taken some hay and a sprig of parsley from me....also checked ..yes she has been to the toilet too..so fingers crossed

So much less stressful if they can sort themselves out at home without need for a vet visit!

good news...Sandy is eating!!hay kale..not in great amounts ..also going to the toilet too...she is very loathe to go back into the hutch once she is out..also she isnt too keen on eating out of her food bowl..would anyone think that it is because sam is no longer with her...it seems to be a lot happening at once to her...

Back