• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

another insurance thread - UPDATE P12 MADE A CLAIM

Den

Mama Doe
I insured Will and Nancy this week. I used nci pet insurance brokers. Found them on line and they have a 'proper' phone number (not 0845 etc). The policy is a 'lifetime ' and it covers dental 'if the vet thinks not having one is detrimental to the rabbits health ' When wouldn't it be???!

Premium is just over £8 each ( I expect it will whack up next year ) and the excess is £55

Will unfortunately has an exclusion for any further unexplained gut stasis incidents but the original guy I spoke with had a lengthy chat with claims and if he has any further episodes that have occurred owing to another condition it should be covered providing the vet confirms the 'new' illness has never occurred before.

I hope this makes sense and is useful to some of you.

All I would say is, to those 'meaning to insure ' and keep putting off like I did - Do It Now! :thumb:

Last edited:
It's nice to see another insurer that covers rabbits :D I had not heard of them before... they are based in Harrogate too, which I like.

I've just done a comparison quote with the insurers I use Petplan and Pets at Home - I've just paid £84 for renewal for Theo (I made one claim in the last year so I won't be swapping him) but with NCI he came up at £99 but the cover is £2K compared to 1.5K| that I get with P@H, so some people may prefer NCI for this reason. (There's also a multi-pet discount on that £84)

Just for the sake of it got a quote from Petplan and he was £140 there :shock::shock:

Sounds like you got a good deal with NCI.

Very interesting, I've just taken out insurance with Petplan for Hollie (still within my 2 week cooling off period) and even with a multi pet discount (Rascal is insured with them already) and 12 months for the price of 11 I'd be paying £12 per month (£132 per year with the 1 month free) ...... NCI have quoted me £8.33 per month (£99.99 per year) and their excess is £5 cheaper at £50.

Has anyone ever had a claim with them?

Out of interest, how old are the other rabbits the quotes were for? Theo is 2. I was shocked Petplan's was so high as my experience has been that it starts to rise quite sharply with them after about age 4- 5.

I hadn't heard of them either. I was referred when I sorted out breakdown cover for oh's van:D

Would be interesting to hear from anyone who may have had claims experience with them.

I opted to pay monthly as there was no 'interest' for doing so.

Out of interest, how old are the other rabbits the quotes were for? Theo is 2. I was shocked Petplan's was so high as my experience has been that it starts to rise quite sharply with them after about age 4- 5.

Hollie is approx 10 months (she was found as a stray and the rescue's vet estimated her age).

Hollie is approx 10 months (she was found as a stray and the rescue's vet estimated her age).

Thanks. Petplan have definitely got expensive then. When I insured mine at first only about 5 years ago they were 2 years old and c£85 a year... now aged seven Esme's premium is £215 *gulps*.

Thanks. Petplan have definitely got expensive then. When I insured mine at first only about 5 years ago they were 2 years old and c£85 a year... now aged seven Esme's premium is £215 *gulps*.

Rascal is 5 now and his policy with Petplan is still only £12 per month (although I've had him insured with them since he was a baby) but the excess is now £75.

Thanks for the information. It's go to see another insurer for rabbits.

Googling them, they used to trade under the Vets4Pets brand name as they were in partnership with them with a Cover4Pets policy. I believe they split from them when Pets At Home brought Vets4Pets in 2013. In 2014 they brought out Axa's Pet insurance division and took on the insurance policies.
https://boughtbymany.com/news/article/nci-pet-insurance-review/
http://www.ncipetinsurance.com/cover4pets/fao-cover4pets-customers/

Will definitely remember these when my guys policies are up, even if I just compare with them. Recently had a claim for Hershel so I wouldn't probably move his, especially since I am waiting to see if his eye ulcer heals up. I would probably try George and Harry, although they both had an unexplained episode of gut stasis (although we didn't claim as it wasn't much more than the excess) but that was over 1 year ago and Harry had a abscess on her eye as a baby bun. Only Maggie has a clean medical history but she was only insurance back before christmas.

I am definitely going with them next time .
Ron's Insurance last year with Pet Plan went up to £16.88 per Month, £100 xs and 20% every visit on top.
Got my Renewal Saturday......£19.95 per Month, £105 Xs and 20% on top for ecery visit, He is 9 this year never claimed once.
Last year when I called them to complain, they said it was my 'Post Code' I said what a load of :censored:!!
Margo lives in the same house and she is £10 per Month and £55 xs
I am not changing Margo as Pet Plan did pay £500+ for her abscess removing.
Is any body with NCI with an older bun? do they put it up every Year???

Going back to this old thread of mine, unfortunately I've had to make a claim for Nancy. She's had problems with a mucky eye and has had various different Eyedrops and a number of tear duct flushes, one under GA when she had one of her teeth filed down.

Processing the claim was very straightforward, no quibbles or queries. I paid the vets and nci refunded direct to my bank account which pays the premium. Unfortunately her eye condition returned after a few weeks and further treatment was needed. This was treated as a continuation claim so I only had to suffer one excess.

Hope this is useful for some of you.:wave:

That's very useful indeed. I'm with Pets at Home insurance ...premiums are very low (£8 per month average) but excess is £75 + 10% of bill taken if not seen by P@H vet.
Might loom into them for a could if my buns.
Thank you for this.

Going back to this old thread of mine, unfortunately I've had to make a claim for Nancy. She's had problems with a mucky eye and has had various different Eyedrops and a number of tear duct flushes, one under GA when she had one of her teeth filed down.

Processing the claim was very straightforward, no quibbles or queries. I paid the vets and nci refunded direct to my bank account which pays the premium. Unfortunately her eye condition returned after a few weeks and further treatment was needed. This was treated as a continuation claim so I only had to suffer one excess.

Hope this is useful for some of you.:wave:

It's always good to hear now other insurance companies handle claims.

I can't move any of the bunnies now as they've all have had some sort of treatment now, as Maggie had to have treatment for Gut stasis earlier in the year. Although I've never had any problems with Petplan when paying out. And I am luckily that my vets will claim directly to the insurance so we only have to pay the excess. It's a good job as George just cost £383 after a really serious bout of Gut stasis and a dental.

It's always good to hear now other insurance companies handle claims.

I can't move any of the bunnies now as they've all have had some sort of treatment now, as Maggie had to have treatment for Gut stasis earlier in the year. Although I've never had any problems with Petplan when paying out. And I am luckily that my vets will claim directly to the insurance so we only have to pay the excess. It's a good job as George just cost £383 after a really serious bout of Gut stasis and a dental.

These bills do mount up! Up to £300 my vet asks for payment. Above that they will claim direct.

I fully expect the premiums to increase at renewal.:(

What's your ongoing experience with NCI, Den? ..or anybody else with pet insurance with them? They have just refused a claim of mine because they "don't cover dental treatment". I will need to read their small print but their T&C looked pretty much the same as Petplan and Pets at Home who have just paid out for Benji in nearly identical circumstances. In Ruben's case the vet didn't think his inappetite was down to dental problems but had done a GA to rule it out... I think they should have paid - at least for the consultation and everything except the dental but I will look at every word of the terms and conditions as I think I chose them over Helpucover because they DID cover dentals... Oh the irony. Scally is also covered with them. Will be cancelling both if they don't pay.

Back