• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

feel like i live at the vets at the moment - benjie piggy *100% again :)*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
took the piggies to the vets today because benjie didn't seem quite himself. not massively so but just not as energetic and he's gained more weight again without any real reason for it :? he also felt really hot, even last night when it was cooler.

anyway, the vet couldn't find anything wrong so we think either he doesn't handle the heat well and it made him a bit lethargic, so as it's meant to be cooler again from tomorrow, we have to see if he perks up again which makes it seem like it was 'just' the heat. we also have to reduce the pellets even more because benjie is overweight now. the vet said he's big and strong, but he has gained alot of weight since we got him. it does seem too much. the other thing the vet said was that it could be some kind of growth or tumour, but with the amount of gain, he would expect to beable to feel it somewhere and he can't.

so keeping an eye for now, and fingers crossed he gets back to his usual self, but if not, we can have bloods done and see if anything shows there.

the poor piggies were so scared on the journey there and back. it was so hot in the taxi and the windows were all open so there was alot of noise aswell.

Last edited:
took the piggies to the vets today because benjie didn't seem quite himself. not massively so but just not as energetic and he's gained more weight again without any real reason for it :? he also felt really hot, even last night when it was cooler.

anyway, the vet couldn't find anything wrong so we think either he doesn't handle the heat well and it made him a bit lethargic, so as it's meant to be cooler again from tomorrow, we have to see if he perks up again which makes it seem like it was 'just' the heat. we also have to reduce the pellets even more because benjie is overweight now. the vet said he's big and strong, but he has gained alot of weight since we got him. it does seem too much. the other thing the vet said was that it could be some kind of growth or tumour, but with the amount of gain, he would expect to beable to feel it somewhere and he can't.

so keeping an eye for now, and fingers crossed he gets back to his usual self, but if not, we can have bloods done and see if anything shows there.

the poor piggies were so scared on the journey there and back. it was so hot in the taxi and the windows were all open so there was alot of noise aswell.

I hope that all will be OK for Benjie. Try not to worry too much, easier said than done I know xx

I hope that all will be OK for Benjie. Try not to worry too much, easier said than done I know xx

the heat does make sense because we had our hottest days so far this year yesterday and again today. and our house is a nightmare for getting too hot. and benjie is of a larger size bless him.

i will try not to get too worried because the vet was very thorough and benjie isn't massively different, but he's usually so happy and energetic, so even being slightly quiet just seemed really obvious and wrong for him. i do tend to worry more with new pets because i don't know how they react to illness and certain other things. and i have to admit that what happened with eddie last year has really shaken me and made me even more cautious with their health. i feel like i let eddie down and wasn't as on the ball as i normally would be, so that probably played a big part. i felt like i tried not to be as obsessive as normal and it backfired big time with eddie. :(

but better safe than sorry anyway. he seems ok, and we'll see if he perks up more when it's cooler again. i guess in the heat he wouldn't really want to be running around getting hotter anyway! x

he's already acting so much more himself and just scoffed his tea and been doing running and pops! must be fun scaring me!! :lol: probably was the heat then as it's cooled down alot now. i had to be sure though... just happy he's already behaving more 'benjie like' :D:love:

i need to get more pics of him because he's the most beautiful little boy, inside and out. he's just such a sweet boy and always happy and popcorning. absolutely adore him :love:

Sorry I missed this earlier! :( But so glad to hear your Benjie piggy is back to himself. :love: xxxx

Back