• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Shelly Bean is coming home

Fellie

Warren Veteran
Last night Sheldon suddenly started acting a bit 'odd'...not his normal silly self. And whilst he did eat..It wasn't with his normal enthusiasm.
This morning he didn't go bonkers for his breakfast ..but has eaten a few pellets and some hay. He also has peed on himself which is a complete first. He seems to be a bit constipated as well and is struggling to poop..although we have had some poops.

He's having a run around now..and sometimes he seems okay and just stops and looks different if that makes sense..and just now he was giving Holly's head a good seeing to.

So very mixed messages. I will be taking to the vets though ...better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
Last night Sheldon suddenly started acting a bit 'odd'...not his normal silly self. And whilst he did eat..It wasn't with his normal enthusiasm.
This morning he didn't go bonkers for his breakfast ..but has eaten a few pellets and some hay. He also has peed on himself which is a complete first. He seems to be a bit constipated as well and is struggling to poop..although we have had some poops.

He's having a run around now..and sometimes he seems okay and just stops and looks different if that makes sense..and just now he was giving Holly's head a good seeing to.

So very mixed messages. I will be taking to the vets though ...better safe than sorry.

Sounds as though he may have some bladder discomfort/UTI. He may be straining to wee rather than poo- a sort of cystitis

Good luck at the Vets and I hope he feels better soon xx

Sounds as though he may have some bladder discomfort/UTI. He may be straining to wee rather than poo- a sort of cystitis

Good luck at the Vets and I hope he feels better soon xx
Yes..this makes sense Jane..when he's been straining he's left little puddles of wee. Poor lad..must be very painful for him.

Awww poor thing! Hope you get on alright at the vets.

Could the vet possibly look at his teeth as well?

Oh dear - my lack of rabbit handling skills is biting me on the bum now:(

Shelly has a very dirty tummy and bottom from weeing on himself - so obviously have to try and get it a bit cleaner! I've managed to go underneath from the back with damp kitchen paper and got some wee off - but not enough. I will keep trying over the day - and hopefully the vet can help me this afternoon. He doesn't like it though :( I was thinking of putting him into the carrier, and doing it in there whilst he can't escape from me.

#feeling a bit useless:(

Shelly has a very dirty tummy and bottom from weeing on himself - so obviously have to try and get it a bit cleaner! I've managed to go underneath from the back with damp kitchen paper and got some wee off - but not enough. I will keep trying over the day - and hopefully the vet can help me this afternoon. He doesn't like it though :( I was thinking of putting him into the carrier, and doing it in there whilst he can't escape from me.

You could try cleaning him up whilst he is in the carrier :) Be confident and firm (but not rough) with handling. If you appear nervous he will pick up on it and think 'Oh dear, there must be something to be scared of'. But if you are confident and 'matter of fact' about it all whilst he may not exactly enjoy it he will be less likely to get into a state.

I am sure that the Vet will sort out any soiling that you have not been able to do xx

Could you put a washing up bowl with one inch of water on the floor and stand him in it? Swishing it around the back end usually gets the stuff off. A nice dry towel for him to be plonked onto next door to it .....

I find that wee gets into the fur and causes urine scald if left. But I'm sure the vets will be understanding regarding his condition - please don't feel useless!!

You could try cleaning him up whilst he is in the carrier :) Be confident and firm (but not rough) with handling. If you appear nervous he will pick up on it and think 'Oh dear, there must be something to be scared of'. But if you are confident and 'matter of fact' about it all whilst he may not exactly enjoy it he will be less likely to get into a state.

I am sure that the Vet will sort out any soiling that you have not been able to do xx
Yes.. you are absolutely right. .It's my lack of confidence that will cause him to be stressed. Very good point. As I have no problems with doing this to cats or dogs I shall pretend he is cat[emoji2]...within reason of course. I have a huge fear of hurting a bun if it struggles and I tend to be very uncertain when having to handle them in anyway...

Could you put a washing up bowl with one inch of water on the floor and stand him in it? Swishing it around the back end usually gets the stuff off. A nice dry towel for him to be plonked onto next door to it .....

I find that wee gets into the fur and causes urine scald if left. But I'm sure the vets will be understanding regarding his condition - please don't feel useless!!
I will try if other methods fail..but I am so nervous about doing this sort of thing. Pathetic but there you go...

I'm sure the vets will help.

Either way not leaving him with wee on his fur..so will work something out[emoji6]

I will try if other methods fail..but I am so nervous about doing this sort of thing. Pathetic but there you go...

Either way not leaving him with wee on his fur..so will work something out[emoji6]

Aaawww you are not at all pathetic! Some rabbits are more difficult to handle than others.

Having worked with hundreds of rabbits in several Rescue Centres I've developed the 'firm but fair' grip on a bun and they know I mean business. But it takes time to develop a confidence and of course you don't want to hurt him or for him to hurt himself struggling.

I am certain you would never do that. Once you start to gain confidence with handling it will be less stressful for both of you. Some Rabbits can be total stress heads regardless of the confidence of the handler, so dont think you are at fault. XX

My Shelly baby has been admitted for fluid therapy. Vet thinks it's bladder sludge so will treat for that..fluids, antibiotics and pain relief and something else I can't remember.
Then tomorrow Shelly will have an X ray to rule out bladder stones. .vet didn't think there were any stones but just to be on the safe side.
Oh..and I did a better than I thought with cleaning him up. Nice white tummy[emoji2] ..trust me to worry about the insignificant fixable stuff.
At least he's now getting the care he needs....It is a relief.

My Shelly baby has been admitted for fluid therapy. Vet thinks it's bladder sludge so will treat for that..fluids, antibiotics and pain relief and something else I can't remember.
Then tomorrow Shelly will have an X ray to rule out bladder stones. .vet didn't think there were any stones but just to be on the safe side.
Oh..and I did a better than I thought with cleaning him up. Nice white tummy[emoji2] ..trust me to worry about the insignificant fixable stuff.

I know it's not the best news in the world you could have hoped for, but things are being sorted and that's a very big positive!

As you say, he's getting the care he needs. Best outcome you could have wished for :love:

Awww poor chap, from your description of his behaviour I thought it sounded more 'bladder' than GI tract. I hope that he will feel a lot more comfortable after treatment. Lots of vibes being sent xx

Thank you Jane and MightyMax for your support and advice x
It is so much better going to the vets with an idea of what is going on.

The Vet will probably express any sludge from his bladder whilst he is sedated for the Xrays. Hopefully there will not be any stones. Then the Vet will run through how to manage his diet and fluids to try to minimise the risk of the problem recurring.

I knew you had good advice from Jane and MightyMax, so I can not add anything before. Good job on the bunny cleaning, and sending Sheldon an you good vibes.

You're very welcome Fellie :D

Yes I agree. You can then be prepared to ask a few questions and be 'on the ball' a bit.

Sounds like you have a very good vet! My vet showed me how to do sub-Q fluids and express a rabbit's bladder, but you may not wish to do these things yourself anyway. Vet nurses can be very helpful, I've found!

Back