• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping my bun more entertained....

FredW

Alpha Buck
Hi,
I am looking to find a way to keep my bun a bit more entertained. I work in the same room she's in, so she's getting loads of attention, but I also want her to do more things by herself, while she's waiting for her husbun, and of course then for both of them together. She does play a lot with her toys, but I saw somewhere, cant remember where now, some peoples pictures where they had food suspended up, so the buns actually had to work a bit to get to it. Just wonder if people have good tips for this. I saw someone mentioned cloth pegs before with a washing line strung over a part of the run. but since I know that some pegs are prone to break easily, I don't like the idea of the buns with the metal spring in their run. unless I am over cautious here. so any recommendations of how people put some food up for them to reach up to get it would be awesome. hope that all made some sense.

Last weekend I put up "washing lines" in both rabbits outside enclosures. I used natural twine and wooden clothes pegs. I hung up carrot tops, long stemmed parsley, carrot and celery fingers, wooden throw toy, and for a treat a chew with herbs in. I hung it a bit too high so had to provide a small stool. They loved it. None of the pegs came off so I'll just replenish the goodies ever so often. It took them a whole day and night to scoff the lot, so it kept them busy. (six bunnies in total) My free range giant bunnies weren't interested as it looked like too hard work for them! I'm sure your bunny would love it and she wouldn't have to share - double whammy!

oh awesome, that sounds like a plan then. you didn't by any chance get the pegs online did you? just like to make sure I get decent ones. but great to know, already excited to see them entertain themselves with them.

I use natural twine and plastic pegs for my indoor two's food line

I also have a a couple of those metal hanging food balls that I also attach to the line with stuff like carrot peelings or dried grass in

awesome thanks for those tips, I always get excited when there are new things I can do for my bun. By the way, both of you mentioned carrots, I always thought they shouldn't have carrots because of the carb value to them, is that not true?

I have a house rabbit and hare to keep them amused I hide rabbit treats with a reasonably strong smell round the flat. we all have great fun. them finding and us watching them find

rm

Yes carrot is very sugary and not brilliant for buns but can be fed in small amounts. Personally I prefer using other more natural treats but on occasion if we are having carrot for tea they may get a teensy bit each as a spacial treat!

My guys have the metal hanging balls as well but I take the chains off so they can have them as toys to toss around which they love whether they are stuffed with hay or not! Also those treat balls that need to be pushed around to get food out are popular here.

Thanks on the carrots, that's what I thought. I have given her some like when we had our Christmas dinner or so, a little bit, and she loves it, but her absolute favourites are fennel and kale, she just cant get enough of those, and if I wouldn't restrict them no doubt she would just eat them all day long. :)
oh and rm, love the idea of hiding some treats around, that should be fun. I do that with her pellets, which she only gets very few off, I hide them in her run, but never thought about spreading it wider, good idea there.

Back