• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Digging boxes - help!

FloLo

Alpha Buck
Hello all :wave:

Flo has, in the past 36 hours, created this pit in the garden!!!
tumblr_nn69ftyd1h1tirn5fo1_540.jpg

:shock:

I don't really care that much but my Dad is not happy! Think she needs a digging box! What do you guys use? It needs to be something that can go outside and I will probably fill it with soil. Maybe a plastic storage box?

Any ideas would be much appreciated! :love:

And she should be proud :) Love watching bunnies dig. My dad made me this (it had a lid to keep cats out)

DSCF2198_zpsrjimjraq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

:lol::lol::lol: I LOVE that she's sat next to it, like "look what I did mum!"

I've been meaning to set one up, so I'll be interested in the replies to this thread. Someone on here used a child's sandpit, the one that's blue and In the shape of a shell? I thought that was a good idea.

And she should be proud :) Love watching bunnies dig. My dad made me this (it had a lid to keep cats out)

DSCF2198_zpsrjimjraq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That's amazing! Maybe I'll see if my dad would be willing to make one as he did make her run.

:lol::lol::lol: I LOVE that she's sat next to it, like "look what I did mum!"

I've been meaning to set one up, so I'll be interested in the replies to this thread. Someone on here used a child's sandpit, the one that's blue and In the shape of a shell? I thought that was a good idea.

Yes she was proudly showing it off :lol: Oh yes - I do have a sandpit. It's a turtle shape but it's huge and would probably take up most of her run!

I used a plastic storage box that goes under the bed. I drilled holes in the bottom for drainage. The rabbits still dig whereever they please though!

I'm also interested in this as the boys will have room for a digging pit when their big run is finished.

What sort of sand/soil to people use? Obviously, having white buns, I don't want them turned brown! :roll: :lol: I know some people use sandpit sand but I've heard that can irritate eyes/ears which makes me a bit reluctant to use it. Is good quality topsoil from a garden centre an option?

Thanks everyone! I went shopping yesterday and walked by a pound stretcher and they had a nice shallow storage box which a picked up for a couple of quid :D Lets just see if she'll use it!

I'm also interested in this as the boys will have room for a digging pit when their big run is finished.

What sort of sand/soil to people use? Obviously, having white buns, I don't want them turned brown! :roll: :lol: I know some people use sandpit sand but I've heard that can irritate eyes/ears which makes me a bit reluctant to use it. Is good quality topsoil from a garden centre an option?

I have used topsoil in Flo's - it's quite a dark brown so you might have brown bunnies! However, mine usually groom after anyway so don't really get dirty. They are outside buns though!

Ah Flo is cute.

I'm lucky I guess Doughnut isn't a digger so my garden is still neat but she is a chewer and likes chewing my lining paper and wires indoors!

I'd like to make a digging box for Smudge, he loves digging but it's difficult indoors. I've come up with a sort of solution which is scraps of fabric in his tunnel which he likes digging out but only keeps him amused until I can put it all back in again!

She hasn't been digging in the box yet - only making the hole bigger! I've had to place the digging box over the hole...but she seemed really sad that she couldn't get to her hole :cry: I feel like a meanie !

But my Dad will not be happy that she's made the hole bigger (I've filled it back in best I can). I'm just worried if she keeps at it they won't let me get her a friend :( wahhh

I've used a kids sandpit with a lid for digging in.

My bunnies usually make holes in my garden. They dig up the flower beds and not the lawn .. :lol:
I usually put a plant pot at the end of their tunnels when they look like that are making the great escape to next door. Otherwise I leave them as I wouldn't like anyone filling in my handiwork!

Back