• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Looking for advice regarding Mr Higgins' toilet habits.

HelenSB

Warren Scout
Mr Higgins has had a few toilet problems over the last week or so. A little bit of diarrhea and then not doing any poo's overnight but thankfully all seems well now.
The problem I have now is that when he's in his run in the garden he doesn't go to the toilet at all. Take today for example. I put him out about 10.30, he was clearly enjoying himself in the sunshine, running about and exploring his new run. He hadn't used his litter tray at all by 4pm so I brought him in and he immediately did a large pile of droppings and a couple of wee's.
Ideally when the weather is so nice I'd like him to be outside till a bit later but don't really want to leave him out if he's not going to the toilet at all. Other than that he seems very happy and content. Any advice from you lovely people in the know please?

Do you use the same litter tray in the run that he uses inside ? It might help to do so and at first leave some poo that he has already done in the tray.

Hi Jane. Yes I use the same litter tray inside his hide a way box which he chose to use as his toilet indoors. I also left some droppings in there to try encourage him but so far he seems to be holding on to it all until he comes indoors. Awkward little bunny. Just as well I love him so much.

where abouts do you have his run? mabel is fussy outdoors, when not using run which have not for year, as I supervise and stay with her, she will not wee on the lawn and has to go to the very same spot on some stones in between lawn and decking, I thought after last year she would not remember her spot but she does :lol:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ckgsbbmk8yienip/20150421_123111.jpg?dl=0

His first run used to be on concrete but he's now on lino as he can't go on the grass as we have artifical grass. I'm not sure if you can see from the pic but his litter tray is inside the little hide box which is exactly what he uses indoors.
Actually when he's in the living room, which is pretty much all day in bad weather he uses an old towel on the sofa. He choose the sofa as his toilet when he was a baby which doesn't sound too hygienic but I always make sure he has a clean towel every day and the leather sofa is wiped down daily. He never goes anywhere else but on the towel so it's worked out fine. Like I said he uses the litter tray in the box when he's in his room upstairs.
Do you think it would be worth while putting his towel in the run and see if he'll use that?

Very interesting about your bunny. I for underestimated how intelligent rabbits are!

Back