• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is he happy?

jrainbow

New Kit
Hello,

I'm desperate for some advice. Is there any way to tell if a rabbit is happy alone? I had a doe and a buck from the same family but unfortunately I lost my doe. I did get another female but unfortunately I lost her too. I honestly don't know what happened. She was eating, drinking and playing fine. She went in her run and within an hour she passed. She was vaccinated and had all her health checks. I don't think I'm meant to have females. It's been very upsetting. My buck didn't seem overly interested in her, unless it's because he couldn't get to her. She wasn't spayed. There aren't any obvious signs that he's unhappy, he seems to like his own company- he doesn't like human attention either. But I'm worried that he's lonely. Are there any signs of loneliness I should look for?

Also I found a little lop in need of a home. My mum was with me and we just couldn't stop watching him, so cute!! I brought him home today and he's been hiding and stomping at me. I figure it's because of his new surroundings, he's never had a 'proper' home. I'm giving him time and space to adapt (I hope he settles!) I'd love to know if anyone thinks I could bond them? (once neutered).

I'm open to all advice! I have spent so much time researching and most people say rabbits need a mate but my buck never seems bothered by other rabbits. Thank you x

Didn't you post a couple of weeks ago about bonding your doe and buck . . . or possibly re-homing them? Bit confused.

I don't think any rabbits can be truly happy alone. Especially as he doesn't like human attention he would probably benefit from having a friend.
Yes you could bond two males, I have two bonded together (but they are siblings).

Back