• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nails clipped by vets?

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
I'm just wondering what peoples experiences are of having nails clipped at their vets?

I'm taking Milo and Finn for their booster vaccinations and to get their nails clipped at the vets on Thursday. I've attempted them many times myself but they are just too wriggly and I can never manage them all just by myself! It would be easier if the OH could hold them but he's always afraid of hurting them and lets them go too easily.

Are the vets usually good at doing it? Or does anyone ever have issues getting it done there?

Do your vets usually do it in front of you or take them out the back or? I wouldn't really like it if they disappeared off with them? Or is that normal? :?

my vet did my little man when he was under being neutered. he said they only needed a trim, and he checked his teeth.
he didn't charge any more for doing it, which i thought was nice.

Usually I brave clipping myself but if they are due at the vets I'll ask them to do it. Went like a breeze. She clipped them in front of me / in the consulting room.

I've had bunny nails clipped in front of me during a consultation too. Made me feel stupid for finding it difficult! :D

my vet did my little man when he was under being neutered. he said they only needed a trim, and he checked his teeth.
he didn't charge any more for doing it, which i thought was nice.

I think Milo and Finn were done when they were neutered too but its been a almost a year since then and I can only manage the odd one because I can't hold and clip at the same time, especially Finn he's a right pain! :( Their floofy feets make it hard to see where to clip as well..

Their dew claw's are horrendous and I feel like an awful bunny mum. I should have taken them before now but I didn't want to have a stressful car ride and vet trip for something I could do myself.

I've just accepted that I can't now so I guess at least I'm doubling the vacs with nail clips so its not two trips. x

I'm just wondering what peoples experiences are of having nails clipped at their vets?

I'm taking Milo and Finn for their booster vaccinations and to get their nails clipped at the vets on Thursday. I've attempted them many times myself but they are just too wriggly and I can never manage them all just by myself! It would be easier if the OH could hold them but he's always afraid of hurting them and lets them go too easily.

Are the vets usually good at doing it? Or does anyone ever have issues getting it done there?

Do your vets usually do it in front of you or take them out the back or? I wouldn't really like it if they disappeared off with them? Or is that normal? :?

Ermm my vet cut to the quick and we had a bleeding rabbit! (She went in for some other reason, not the nails). She didn't realise the quick was so close to the tips. I think vets can sometimes be hurried to get them done, and I prefer to do them myself as I can take my time and identify the quick before I cut.

I'm always really surprised when people say they do this rather than trimming themselves, is it quite common?

I'm always really surprised when people say they do this rather than trimming themselves, is it quite common?

I really wish I could mange it myself but my two get the idea as soon as the clippers come out! They wiggle and fight me until I give up or think they are stressed too much!

Like I say with two people it would be a breeze...

I find it harder with 2 people - the other one gets in the light & we panic each other. I do do regular trims but tiny amounts. My vet said the fur around their feet is a pretty good guide. I made one of Ralph's claws bleed back in 2001 & have loathed the task ever since

I find it harder with 2 people - the other one gets in the light & we panic each other. I do do regular trims but tiny amounts. My vet said the fur around their feet is a pretty good guide. I made one of Ralph's claws bleed back in 2001 & have loathed the task ever since

Yeah I mean I just find it too difficult. I guessed it was better to give someone who knows what they are doing the opportunity. I couldn't use their fur as a guide I can already see that they are long but the fur is still over them!

I think being firm and confident is the key. I used to have to do Alberts quickly or he would get bored and bite me but the others are pretty good

I think being firm and confident is the key. I used to have to do Alberts quickly or he would get bored and bite me but the others are pretty good

I can usually manage to get them onto the worktop which I put a towel onto no problem. Its as soon as I try to lift a paw or anything they kick and fight to get away. I try to not let them back up and put their bums into my stomach.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong! :(

Last edited:
I get my OH to hold them upright (one hand supporting chest, other hand under bum) and clip them that way, I find if they are on a surface it's easier for them to fuss about.

I don't agree with towel wrapping really - in my experience it stresses them out so much, when simply holding them and getting on with whatever needs doing is the lesser of two evils, so to speak. An old vet tried to towel wrap Sweep once to look at his teeth, after the fourth attempt and a very very stressed bunny, we decided to leave it. A week later Sweep went to another vet, I held him over the table (sort of crouched over him so he couldn't back up as my tummy was there), and the teeth inspection was over with in 20 seconds, and a slightly stressed Sweep, but nothing compared to the towel wrap incident and was over in a flash.

ETA: just realised I read your post wrong - you don't towel wrap. So the last bit of my post is redundant :oops::lol:

I get my OH to hold them upright (one hand supporting chest, other hand under bum) and clip them that way, I find if they are on a surface it's easier for them to fuss about.

I don't agree with towel wrapping really - in my experience it stresses them out so much, when simply holding them and getting on with whatever needs doing is the lesser of two evils, so to speak. An old vet tried to towel wrap Sweep once to look at his teeth, after the fourth attempt and a very very stressed bunny, we decided to leave it. A week later Sweep went to another vet, I held him over the table (sort of crouched over him so he couldn't back up as my tummy was there), and the teeth inspection was over with in 20 seconds, and a slightly stressed Sweep, but nothing compared to the towel wrap incident and was over in a flash.

ETA: just realised I read your post wrong - you don't towel wrap. So the last bit of my post is redundant :oops::lol:

Oh no I don't wrap them, I just put a towel on the worktop to stop them slipping on the surface. x

I struggle to do mine myself, they're just too wriggly and hate being restricted. I take mine to the vets to get it done, they do it in the consulting room while I'm there. I usually double it up with their jabs though to save travel stress as my 2 are 6 months apart so it works out ok.

I get the vet nurse to do our rabbits' claws as it's far cheaper than the vet doing it!

Yeah I'm pretty sure we will be getting the vet nurse too. I feel like an awful bunny mum for not being able to clip them but at least there are others who take their buns to the vets too.

Yeah I'm pretty sure we will be getting the vet nurse too. I feel like an awful bunny mum for not being able to clip them but at least there are others who take their buns to the vets too.

Oh I'm really sorry please don't feel bad because of me I just hadn't come across it before mine have all just had to put up and shut up, you are probably a much nicer bunny mummy than me :D

Back