• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you freeze dandelions?

rachylou

Warren Veteran
We have some lovely leaves and flowers in the garden can you pick them and freeze them to stop them going to waste?

No don't freeze them, just put them in a cardboard box stacked in layers with newspaper in between and they will dry out and can be used any time.

Good question rachylou, I was wondering the same as we have lots in the garden at the moment. I picked some over the weekend tied them together with string and popped them in the airing cupboard and they're drying out nicely. I like Kermit's tip and will be trying this next :D

I picked some before my husband mowed the lawn on Sunday. I put them on kitchen towel on a plate in my airing cupboard. I checked them this morning and they are almost dry.

I just went out a picked a load of them and have them in the garage in a cardboard box with layer of kitchen roll top and bottom.

Totally inspired by this thread! :D

Amazing thread! I picked loads of dandelions on my way home from work today and was wondering how to keep them! Can you do the airing cupboard trick with all forage?

Do you rinse them before storing or as you use them? Does it work for the flowers too?

If they have been in my Garden and I know that they are safe and clean then I do not rinse. I would rinse them if they were from somewhere outwith my garden.
Yip, works with the flowers too x

If they have been in my Garden and I know that they are safe and clean then I do not rinse. I would rinse them if they were from somewhere outwith my garden.
Yip, works with the flowers too x

But how can you know they are safe and clean even in your garden?
Our house backs directly onto woodland so don't know what comes in our garden.
Also rinse before or after drying?

But how can you know they are safe and clean even in your garden?
Our house backs directly onto woodland so don't know what comes in our garden.
Also rinse before or after drying?

Just rinse them then.....my garden is surrounded by about a 10/12ft wall, so I know that not much comes in.....And rinse before drying otherwise you would make them soggy and waste them.

Amazing thread! I picked loads of dandelions on my way home from work today and was wondering how to keep them! Can you do the airing cupboard trick with all forage?

yea pretty much! i think there are a few things that don't dry to well but i can't think of anything I've had problems with. sticky weed was a bit weird when dry but the bunnies still ate it!

Dandelion flowers, when dried, turn to the poofy 'clocks' (seed heads). If you want the flower petals dried you have to pick them off from the flower head :)

yea pretty much! i think there are a few things that don't dry to well but i can't think of anything I've had problems with. sticky weed was a bit weird when dry but the bunnies still ate it!

Okay thanks. I just picked some sticky weed today on my way home, it's very sticky!! I won't try and dry it. I've already got some dandelions and leaves in the airing cupboard!

Back